Azure Database for PostgreSQL

We would love to hear it! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea or vote up an idea submitted by another Azure Database for PostgreSQL customer. All of the feedback you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Azure Database for PostgreSQL engineering team. By suggesting or voting for ideas here, you will also be one of the first to know when we begin work on your feature requests and when we release the feature.
Remember that this site is only for feature suggestions and ideas! If you have technical questions please try our documentation, MSDN forum or StackOverflow.

1. Support upgrading major versions via Replication

Upgrading Data via Replication is documented as a method in the PostgreSQL docs.

When creating a read replica in the Azure Portal it is not possible to change the version (I assume it uses the same version as the master).

Please allow selecting a version when creating a replica so that this upgrade method would be possible.

18.6.3. Upgrading Data via Replication
    https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/upgrading.html

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Ability to set max_locks_per_transaction

As a SaaS provider using postgresql schemas to separate clients we have a lot of tables, one set per customer schema. Some operations such as pg_dump, or schema migrations, takes locks on a lot of tables at once in the database, prior to dumping, or updating the database. For us this means that the default setting of 64 is too low and we'd like to be able to set the value ourself using parameters.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. prefix

Add prefix extension

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Extension  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. oracle_fdw extension

Provides a Foreign Data Wrapper for easy and efficient access to Oracle databases, including pushdown of WHERE conditions as well as comprehensive EXPLAIN and ANALYZE support.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. "Allow access to Azure Services" does not work for Flask Web App

I have a Flask web app which using Azure PostgresSql server/db, the application running fine on my local machine, (I already added my local IP to azure postgresql server's firewall rules)
    But after I deployed the app to to Azure App Service, the web app failed to start, got this error:

no pghba.conf entry for host "104.208.xx.***", user "pi", database "iotdb", SSL on
    2019-09-26T07:11:58.743294692Z FATAL: no pg
    hba.conf entry for host "104.208.xx.***", user "pi", database "iotdb", SSL on

the option "Allow access to Azure Services" already enabled for the Azure PostgreSQL, but it does not work!

I have to…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Allow admin user to be able to execute ALTER TABLE “my_table” DISABLE TRIGGER ALL

Can the 'azurepgadmin' role be enhanced so that

ERROR: permission denied: "my-trigger-name" is a system trigger

is not encountered when executing

ALTER TABLE “my_table” DISABLE TRIGGER ALL

. The system trigger in question is one associated with a foreign key and the assocated triggers are system triggers.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Roadmap  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Support creating VNET Service endpoint in Azure Red Hat OpenShift

Even though Azure DB for PostgreSQL provides secure connection, Applications on ARO needs to access Azure DB for PostgreSQL via internet.

Currently, VNET for ARO doesn't allow any modification, therefore, there is no option avoiding going through internet when applications connect to Azure DB for PostgreSQL.

There is no point in deploying a DB container on ARO. The user needs to consider how to manage DB.

If ARO allows modifying VNET creating Service endpoint for Azure DB for PostgreSQL, it could provide more secure route and low latency connections as well.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Make PostgreSQL on Azure support usable speeds and not be slow af.

PostgreSQL on Azure is very outdated and extremely slow. It's very much unusable like this and we ended up moving to our own PostgreSQL container that don't have these issue. Please clarify that

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. PostGIS 3.0

PostGIS 3.0 is currently in alpha. It adds support for parallels processing of spatial queries which drastically increases the performance of spatial queries and makes PostGIS more inline with other advanced spatial databases. Please upgrade to this version of PostGIS when it is fully released.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Please be able to control Schedule the maintenance from the user's perspective.

Users can decide when scheduled maintenance starts from in AWS.
    e.g. Maintenance refers to the application of OS and database security patches.

Please be able to control schedule the maintenance in Azure Database for PostgreSQL from the users . It is problem that unexpected connection failures by maintenance in Azure Database.
    For pre-planned maintenance, the convenience of users will be improved , if schedule the maintenance can be controlled.

AWS's Resource
    How do I minimize downtime during required Amazon RDS maintenance?
    URL: https://aws.amazon.com/premiumsupport/knowledge-center/rds-required-maintenance/?nc1=h_ls

Maintaining a DB Instance
    URL: https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonRDS/latest/UserGuide/USER_UpgradeDBInstance.Maintenance.html

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Pg_basebackup / Replication on-premise

It would be great if we could either use pgbasebackup as well as pgdump to take backup or the ability to replica from the Azure Master to our own db instance (either a VM on Azure or on-premise).

This would mean creating replication role slots under the Connection security tab.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Roadmap  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. ip4r extension

It would be great to have the ip4r extension available in the Azure Database for PostgreSQL service. We already use this extension in our self-managed psql service to use IP addresses as native objects. It is very useful for some IPAM engines like nipapd, etc.

For more information about this extension: https://github.com/RhodiumToad/ip4r

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Region  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Support for PGroonga

PGroonga is a PostgreSQL extension to use Groonga as the index, and make PostgreSQL fast full text search platform for all languages (such as Japanese and Chinese).

PGroonga: https://pgroonga.github.io/

Groonga: http://groonga.org/

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Upgrade the available TimescaleDB extension from v1.1.1 to v1.3 or higher.

Just wanted to upgrade the TimescaleDB extension from the current v1.1.1 to v1.3 or higher to be able to utilize the Continuous Aggregates feature.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Extension  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Support for Custom Full Text Search Dictionaries

PostgreSQL supports so many great full text search capabilities that can be really handy in small to mid sized applications without adding the extra overhead of separate search services.

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/textsearch-dictionaries.html

When self-hosting PG you can add custom dictionaries, with custom synonym, thesaurus, stop word, and other stemming definitions. Currently Azure hosted PostgreSQL doesn't support this, as you'd need access to upload language and dictionary files to use in those definitions. For example, if you want a solid spellchecker via ispell or hunspell you can download those extensions and place them in the $SHAREDIR/tsearch_data directory on the PG server.

Also -…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. postgresql

Provide a CLI inside the Azure Portal for the management of the database

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Support pg_prometheus extension

It's a perfect fit together with timescaledb-extension if you have prometheus running in AKS

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Execute SQL scripts during ARM Template Deployments

After deploying a postgreSQL service using an ARM template, in order to configure my databases, roles, etc., I have to execute a script after I have deployed the service.

I'd like a way to include a SQL script at time of deploying my ARM template.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5
  • Don't see your idea?

Azure Database for PostgreSQL

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base