How can we improve Microsoft Azure Government?

Add cloud shell w/ Azure CLI/PS support in Azure Gov Portal

Same as commercial: Shell access from virtually anywhere
Connect with Azure using an authenticated, browser-based shell experience that’s hosted in the cloud and accessible from virtually anywhere. Azure Cloud Shell is assigned per unique user account and is automatically authenticated with each session. Combined with Azure portal’s familiar GUI experience, Cloud Shell adds the power and flexibility of using an authenticated shell experience.

61 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Rob Bolbotowski shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Patch Charron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is unfortunate that this has been delayed again. This feature is highly requested by my customers.

• Patch Charron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for clarifying the timeline to Q4. At least for my clients the PowerShell support is a higher priority. I understand that bash needs to come first, but PowerShell will be great.

• Wendy R commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Working in Government and having a G3 tenant can be frustrating when you get info on a new feature just to find that it is 6mos to a year before it comes to Government tenants.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, we need this in Gov Cloud.

Microsoft PMs are loudly & frequently touting "Cloud Shell" as an incredible resource, and yet one of the largest sets of customers cannot access it.

Also until it is enabled, the documentation, help, and links should make this clear.

I wasted an incredible amount of time, and time of Microsoft support, trying to find and enable this feature

• Byron Boudreaux commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not only do we need this in MAG badly...but we also need it with Terraform integration. Most government workstations are locked down from running any type of shell (Bash, PowerShell), let alone running something like Terraform...so being able to do this from Cloud Shell would be life altering.

• Erik Munson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need this bad in MAG so that we have the ability to work from machines where we don't have admin to load PoSH modules

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This will be a tremendous help in MAG, where it can be difficult or impossible to get approval to install additional modules on government furnished equipment.

Feedback and Knowledge Base