Azure Analysis Services

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with Analysis Services? We would love to hear from you! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea, or vote up an idea submitted by another customer. All the feedback you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Analysis Services engineering team. By suggesting or voting for ideas here, you will be among the first to know when it gets done.

Please remember this is only for feature suggestions and ideas! If you have technical questions, please submit a question to our MSDN forum. Azure Analysis Services shares the forum with SQL Server Analysis Services due to same modeling, management tools, etc.

If you need support, please open a support ticket through the Azure Portal.

1. Allow user priority to boost users' execution priority

It would be really useful to allow a user priority value, so users with higher priorities get execution priority too, and their queries will preempt lower priority requests.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Azure Portal Metrics AAS - split by database

Would be great to be able to use database as a splitting variable when analyzing metrics in the portal for AAS. For example, I am interested to know the memory consumption of each DB on the server, but that can only be achieved right now through DMVs.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Open Source Web Designer (Now Deprecated)?

Even though I knew it was slated for deprecation, I was still sad seeing the web designer go. It was a really well done piece of software. Yeah, the pbix import was a nice to have but tbh what blew me away was its usefulness as querying / exploration tool. The interface was top notch supporting both casual browsing via drag and drop as well as the query editor for more advanced authoring. Any chance we could see the tool (or snippets of it) open sourced? : )

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Allow Security Group to be added as Analysis Admin

Currently this supports only Distribution group but as a workaround the security group can be added through the SSMS tool using the objectId. We should be able to do this from the Azure Portal as well.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. RetainPartitions

Need an option to use the RetainPartitions from MD on Tabular as manually adding partitions instead for having and automated process is not ideal.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Client libraries for JavaScript/TypeScript clients

Currently, there are no officially supported client libraries available for NodeJS clients built using JS/TypeScript languages. The only way to access data from tabular models/cubes is to use another wrapper C# service and talk to that service from the NodeJS client (see this forum post for context: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/cb5c7edb-5eeb-41dd-b59b-f40253bf5e69/nodejstypescript-client-library-support-of-azure-as?forum=AzureAnalysisServices)

It would be great to have an official library package for these kinds of clients.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Allow connection to each replica

Scenario 1: I need to check whether any queries are running on any replicas before I pause the Azure Analysis Services instance.

Scenario 2: I need to find and cancel any queries which have been running for more than 5 minutes and I can't control the Timeout connection string property in the client tool such as in Power BI.

I would like to have some new syntax which lets me connect to each query replica with the following server name:
    asazure://southcentralus.asazure.windows.net/servername:ro1
    asazure://southcentralus.asazure.windows.net/servername:ro2

The :ro1 and :ro2 syntax would let me connect to query replica 1 and 2.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Support for username() and userprinciplename() in calculated columns

Currently Azure Analysis services does not support many DAX functions such as username(), lookupvalue() etc. in calculated columns. There are requirements from clients to customize column values based on logged in user which cannot be implemented without these functions in calculated columns. Azure Analysis services should support all these functions to cater these requirements as they are vital for BI.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Required Connection to Cosmos DB

Please provide a connection to Cosmos DB from Azure Analysis service with JSON schema option

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Required Filter at Perspective

Scenario
    I have a cube (tabular model)
    It contains a list of Customers, and a measure Revenue.
    The Customer table has a column Client Account Manager.
    I will have a report which points to this default perspective, and the Security Role will apply Row Level Security showing only the Client Account Manager their Revenue, for their Customers. Simple.

For Account Managers & Non-account managers, I also want them to be able to see the revenue for any Customer, even if it is not their own, but I don’t want them to be able to write a report (or remove a…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. For Azure service, there is “Always On” option; default is “off” and this better be “on” by default.

For Azure service, there is “Always On” option; default is “off” and this better be “on” by default. Some prod service was off unexpectedly during the weekend because of this.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. T

T

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Query for Azure Analysis Services Tabular

I want to use Azure Analysis Services Tabular for Power BI Services with over 1 GB data models.
    My query use the Query in most case Power BI without developers.
    I hope Azure Analysis Services with the Query feature.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Give user a choice to elect or decline alert auto-disabling query-based alert rules; they are auto-disabled on repeated query syntax error

If we deploy a LoadBalancer resource, and a LoadBalancer alert rule via ARM template – that rule gets automatically disabled by Azure because the table doesn’t exist yet (until the probe state changes, or some other resource writes to AzureDiagnostics), causing the query in the alert rule to have a syntax error - then, when the probe state does * change due to an error condition, the alert won’t be triggered because the alert rule has been auto-disabled by Azure. Azure auto-disables alert rules when there is a query syntax error. Give the user a choice to elect * this…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Cassandra Azure CosmosDB as a data source

Is there a way to connect Cassandra Azure CosmosDB to Azure Analysis Services?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Key Vault for Connection string using secrets

The Key Vault implementation is widely accepted for security reasons and greatly simplifies the work of rotating / change passwords using secrets. When you have a big number of models this becomes a tedious job if you have hundred of models on top of a data warehouse.

The super awesomeness would be to be able to configure and entire connection from the secrets. When changing environments (Dev to QA or QA to Prod) would just take changing Key Vaults.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Highly Available SSAS through syncing

I'm trying to implement an automated fail-over solution. Read https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/analysis-services/analysis-services-bcdr but the solutions are not automated fail-overs.
    I'm wondering if using the sync feature of SSAS to sync secondary with the primary (after processing is done on primary) is a stable and feasible solution?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Excel should be able to connect to AAS without explicit login being provided in Connection String

In the past with SSAS you could use Windows Authentication in your connection and send your excel file to other users and they could refresh

With AAS this is not possible as you have to put your login in the connection string which is very unfriendly

I thought this guide might help https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/azure-docs/blob/master/articles/analysis-services/analysis-services-odc.md and initially it does seem work for asazure:// protocol, but it doesn't work for link:// protocol which we have employed

I posted this feedback on that page and was told to post this here.

Please can you extend this capability to work with the link:// protocol.

Right…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Revise down activity log entries for paused AAS instances

When an Azure Analysis Services instance is paused, it generates two activity log 'Health Event' entries per hour.

This needlessly populates the log and makes it a little harder to spot anything significant.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Azure Analysis Services

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base