Azure Analysis Services

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with Analysis Services? We would love to hear from you! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea, or vote up an idea submitted by another customer. All the feedback you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Analysis Services engineering team. By suggesting or voting for ideas here, you will be among the first to know when it gets done.

Please remember this is only for feature suggestions and ideas! If you have technical questions, please submit a question to our MSDN forum. Azure Analysis Services shares the forum with SQL Server Analysis Services due to same modeling, management tools, etc.

If you need support, please open a support ticket through the Azure Portal.

1. Support for username() and userprinciplename() in calculated columns

Currently Azure Analysis services does not support many DAX functions such as username(), lookupvalue() etc. in calculated columns. There are requirements from clients to customize column values based on logged in user which cannot be implemented without these functions in calculated columns. Azure Analysis services should support all these functions to cater these requirements as they are vital for BI.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Required Connection to Cosmos DB

Please provide a connection to Cosmos DB from Azure Analysis service with JSON schema option

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Required Filter at Perspective

Scenario
    I have a cube (tabular model)
    It contains a list of Customers, and a measure Revenue.
    The Customer table has a column Client Account Manager.
    I will have a report which points to this default perspective, and the Security Role will apply Row Level Security showing only the Client Account Manager their Revenue, for their Customers. Simple.

For Account Managers & Non-account managers, I also want them to be able to see the revenue for any Customer, even if it is not their own, but I don’t want them to be able to write a report (or remove a…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. For Azure service, there is “Always On” option; default is “off” and this better be “on” by default.

For Azure service, there is “Always On” option; default is “off” and this better be “on” by default. Some prod service was off unexpectedly during the weekend because of this.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. T

T

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Encode as integer

My data lineage systems frequently use uniqueidentifiers or hash keys. I have to apply surrogate keys to them which doesn't parallelise well or compress well in the vertipak engine.

I would like to import these fields directly into the analysis services model and mark them "encode as integer". Analysis services should encode and display the columns as an integer. The alpha-numeric code should not be stored in the dictionary. At process time, the original values would be read, coalesced across active and inactive dax relationships (thus part might be tricky) , compiled and then discarded.

My nderstanding is that it…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Query for Azure Analysis Services Tabular

I want to use Azure Analysis Services Tabular for Power BI Services with over 1 GB data models.
    My query use the Query in most case Power BI without developers.
    I hope Azure Analysis Services with the Query feature.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Highly Available SSAS through syncing

I'm trying to implement an automated fail-over solution. Read https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/analysis-services/analysis-services-bcdr but the solutions are not automated fail-overs.
    I'm wondering if using the sync feature of SSAS to sync secondary with the primary (after processing is done on primary) is a stable and feasible solution?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. does Azure Analysis Service support Azure databricks delta table ?

does Azure Analysis Service supports Azure databricks delta table ? If yes How does it ?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Dynamic Format String based on DAX Expression

Allow the Format String property for a measure to be determined by the results of a DAX Expression.

This would be similar to the approach in the below link. However, instead of using the FORMAT() function within the measure's DAX expression, the format should be able to dynamically be set using the Format String property of the measure.

https://christianwade.wordpress.com/2012/08/21/currency-conversion-formatting-symbols-in-tabular/

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Excel should be able to connect to AAS without explicit login being provided in Connection String

In the past with SSAS you could use Windows Authentication in your connection and send your excel file to other users and they could refresh

With AAS this is not possible as you have to put your login in the connection string which is very unfriendly

I thought this guide might help https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/azure-docs/blob/master/articles/analysis-services/analysis-services-odc.md and initially it does seem work for asazure:// protocol, but it doesn't work for link:// protocol which we have employed

I posted this feedback on that page and was told to post this here.

------

Please can you extend this capability to work with the link:// protocol.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Allow user priority to boost users' execution priority

It would be really useful to allow a user priority value, so users with higher priorities get execution priority too, and their queries will preempt lower priority requests.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Revise down activity log entries for paused AAS instances

When an Azure Analysis Services instance is paused, it generates two activity log 'Health Event' entries per hour.

This needlessly populates the log and makes it a little harder to spot anything significant.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Provide Process Logging

There doesn't appear to be any way to observe a model being processed. For example if I start a model process with the asynchronous REST API, I can't find out afterwards (i.e. by logging in through SSMS) what is currently executing and what is complete. XEvents don't appear to provide me with this information either.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. QPU Percent Utilisation metric for Azure Analysis Services

There's no metric available for Azure Analysis Services to show the percent utilisation of QPU - only absolute QPU usage.

This makes it hard to alert on because a single threshold value won't scale with the size of the instance.

Azure SQL offers a DTU percent consumption metric which is a function of usage/DTU limit of the instance.

Is there a good reason the equivalent can't be added for AAS?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. XMLA For Azure Analysis Services

I'd like to see XMLA support for Azure Analysis Services the same way there is for Power BI.

If I have a Azure Analysis Server/Datbase I should be able to query it via XMLA

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Allow Azure B2B (guest) accounts to install the AS on-prem data gateway

Right now you need to have an account in the same AD as the azure AS subscription tenant in order to be able to use your gateway for AS, which isn't convenient as you would need a separate account for every customer, which defeats the whole purpose of having 1 singe guest account to use.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Dax Query

Store Tabular Model "Views" that Users can see similar to tables. I have developers who write custom dax queries. These queries rely on the security model to the right information to each end user. This is like an advanced calculated table that does not execute until the query is sent. Currently, calculated tables calculate during model processing meaning user specific scope is not available. This would be similar to views in traditional SQL databases but just be predefined dax saved to the model definition.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Open Source Web Designer (Now Deprecated)?

Even though I knew it was slated for deprecation, I was still sad seeing the web designer go. It was a really well done piece of software. Yeah, the pbix import was a nice to have but tbh what blew me away was its usefulness as querying / exploration tool. The interface was top notch supporting both casual browsing via drag and drop as well as the query editor for more advanced authoring. Any chance we could see the tool (or snippets of it) open sourced? : )

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Azure Analysis Services

Feedback and Knowledge Base