Azure Analysis Services

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with Analysis Services? We would love to hear from you! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea, or vote up an idea submitted by another customer. All the feedback you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Analysis Services engineering team. By suggesting or voting for ideas here, you will be among the first to know when it gets done.

Please remember this is only for feature suggestions and ideas! If you have technical questions, please submit a question to our MSDN forum. Azure Analysis Services shares the forum with SQL Server Analysis Services due to same modeling, management tools, etc.

If you need support, please open a support ticket through the Azure Portal.

1. Support for SSAS row level filters and column level security combined in the same model

Currently SSAS 2017 security roles supports either row level filters or column level visibility only at a time. Both type of security at the same role is not supported now.

Also currently in SSAS the same user cannot be in roles that has row level security in one role, and column level access in another role. Please see the link below for the limitation:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/analysis-services/tabular-models/object-level-security?view=sql-server-2017

However, there are requirements where users needs to be restricted by row level and column level both at the same time. SSAS should support this.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Improve the error logging when Visual Studio crashes

It's not always easy to re-produce a crash in SSDT, and at times it can feel like the crash was due to typing out a measure too quickly, coming up with wacky m queries, or perhaps even because it is too windy outside. An improved error log would at least give me some solace that SSDT isn't prejudicing my model development due to my taste in music.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Highly Available Azure Cubes

I would like to see a feature in Azure analysis service where when if a server or cube is getting processed the report connection can be redirected to another server. This functionality can be done in on premise cubes with help of load balancer and shell scripts. Anything of this sort on Azure can be great full.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. "Overdraft Protection" for Memory Consumption

Similar to overdraft protection on a bank account... would be nice to have a similar concept for Azure AS instances where the instance auto-scales up if memory consumption exceeds the current limit (instead of an error - for example during processing)

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Enable Analysis service to access same region VNET Integrated services

Analysis service can not pull data from azure storage account if the VNET Integration is enabled on the storage account in the same region.

Enable VNET Integration like App Service VNET Integration preview feature as one example.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Support ADLS Gen2

Please add ADLS Gen2 as a supported data source to Azure Analysis Services.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Improve Whitelisting

Currently users have to have their IP address whitelisted in order to promote or manage the model from Visual Studio. This can be difficult with remote employees as IP addresses can change and it is difficult to manually input a large amount. Ideally it would be nice if a new way could be created that is easier to manage large number of remote users. Maybe a security token of some sort?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Straight Numeric Presentations

The demo on NYC Taxi Fares and Pickups was very nice, Mechanics. The graphical visualizations are totally sick! Still, I crave the golden days when the Pivot Table was truly multidimensional, just like in some of the earlier BIDS Browsers and Excel Services. Now its seems everything is flattened out - too bad. The Tabular Model and Power BI are cool, but it seems to me that "true" multi-dimensional grids with nicely aligned "dynamic stacking boundary lines" and cascading hierarchies provided a more interesting navigation and allowed drag-drop operations with instant dollar figures coming down the pipe to the display.…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Support for non-native applications

Support for non-native applications. ie. Support for Java app using Analysis Service PaaS. REST or JDBC support

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the update. I’m assuming you are talking specifically about URL access in such a way that works for 3rd party libraries such as OLAP4J and also general URL access without limitations around auth and resolving cluster IP addresses, etc.. We will look into it …

12. CubeDimension.HierarchyUniqueNameStyle

We have following scenario:
    In Multidimension:
    Dimension 1: ReceivedDate
    Hiearchy: FiscalYearWeek
    Year, Week
    Dimension 2: DisDate
    Year, Week
    When we pull the hierarchy in Rows in Excel or Power BI we see the name as
    ReceivedDate - FiscalYearWeek
    DisDate - FiscalYearWeek
    This was due to property - CubeDimension.HierarchyUniqueNameStyle

In Tabular:
    Table 1: ReceivedDate
    Year, Week
    Table 2: DisDate
    Year, Week

When we pull the hierarchy in Rows in Excel or Power BI we see the name as
    FiscalYearWeek
    FiscalYearWeek

It creates probem for users that they do not understand the hierarchy that is is…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Column and measure security

To me, the BIGGEST drawback of SSAS-TAB/AAS is the lack of security around columns and measures. In many cases, we need to give access to certain users to only part of the model. I.e: some users can see only sales, while others can see net margins (including costs).

Today, the only way to do this is to duplicate the model and drop columns or measure, which adds overhead in time and cost.

Maybe, if users could be locked to a perspective (and prevented from using freeform DAX), this could be accomplished ? Or something like that.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Emulation or support for member properties in Excel

Tabular models do not support the Properties function in Excel. (right click on a member, select properties, you get a blank list). This is because Tabular models do not have member properties as far as I know. However, users of legacy multi-dimensional cubes may have been trained to use properties in Excel and may be confused as to why this option doesn't work with newer tabular models.

I would like to suggest that Analysis Services either provide the functionality for member properties for designers of tabular models OR provide some kind of emulation in Excel so the end user has…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. HIPAA compliance for Azure Analysis service

AS per the below link,

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/trustcenter/compliance/hipaa

Azure analysis service is not under the covered services for HIPAA compliance, So please include the support else we have to use only SQL Server inside an Azure VM instead of going with AAS.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Basic filter improvement

Query section -> filters -> Basic
    What is now, the basic filter provides including different rows of 1 column, implemented as a simple select(dropdown menu). But if I need to select a big number of rows at once, I have to search select each of them so many times. To my mind, it is better to customize the choice, because it may be sometimes disgusting to pick every.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Syntax highlighting for TMSL

Can we get syntax highlighting for TMSL? Maybe even intellisense? It'd be really handy when editing a model.bim file.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Encode as integer

My data lineage systems frequently use uniqueidentifiers or hash keys. I have to apply surrogate keys to them which doesn't parallelise well or compress well in the vertipak engine.

I would like to import these fields directly into the analysis services model and mark them "encode as integer". Analysis services should encode and display the columns as an integer. The alpha-numeric code should not be stored in the dictionary. At process time, the original values would be read, coalesced across active and inactive dax relationships (thus part might be tricky) , compiled and then discarded.

My nderstanding is that it…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Improve connection experience

This is driving me a bit nuts.
    I have two machines. One local and a Azure VM with:
    SQL Server 2016
    SSAS Tabular
    and
    Azure SQL database.

My employer doesn't have any Azure Active directory services.

I've created an AAS server and can connect to it with ssms.

When I try to deploy I get error messages, but somehow the metadata for both database sources has been deployed but it cant process.

It keeps insisting that the impersonation settings are invalid but I can only use windows authentication to access the vm in azure.

At first I forgot to add…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Allow GUI support to change between M and SQL query type in SSDT

Working on existing compatibility level 1200 model project migrating to compatibility level 1400 model project require user to edit or re-create data sources and changing partitions from query type SQL to M language manually. It will be great to have an option to change existing query type from M language to SQL and vice versa in the designer view.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Azure Analysis Services

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base