How can we improve Microsoft Azure Analysis Services?

Include all Power BI Data Connectors in AAS

Azure Analysis Services has a limited number of data connectors compared with Power BI. Without access to the same data connectors, it will be impossible to import Power BI files into AAS without a lot of re-building data integration steps using other methods.

Here is the current list of NON-BETA connectors Power BI has that AAS does not:

- Amazon Redshift
- Azure Data Lake Store
- Blank Query
- Facebook
- Google Analytics
- Hadoop File (HDFS)
- IBM DB2 Database
- Impala
- Power BI Service
- R Script
- SalesForce Objects
- SalseForce Reports
- SharePoint Folder
- Smartsheet
- Web

A few of these really jump out as being absolutely necessary:

- Blank Query
- R Script
- Web

It would also be great to have the Beta Connectors. Here is the current list as of the time of writing this:

- appFigures(Beta)
- Azure Analysis Services Database (Beta)
- Azure DocumentDB (Beta)
- Azure Enterprise (Beta)
- Azure HDInsight Spark (Beta)
- Common Data Service (Beta)
- comScore Digital Analytix (Beta)
- Dynamics 365 for Customer Insights (Beta)
- Dynamics 365 for Financials (Beta)
- GitHub (Beta)
- IBM Netezza (Beta)
- MailChimp (Beta)
- Marketo (Beta)
- Mixpanel (Beta)
- Planview Enterprise (Beta)
- Projectplace (Beta)
- QuickBooks Online (Beta)
- Spark (Beta)
- SparkPost (Beta)
- SQL Sentry (Beta)
- Stripe (Beta)
- SweetIQ (Beta)
- Troux (Beta)
- Twilio (Beta)
- tyGraph (Beta)
- Visual Studio Team Service (Beta)
- Webtrends (Beta)
- Zendesk (Beta)

90 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

John Fitzpatrick shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Azure AS PM Team responded  · 

Pleas see Kay’s comment below. Now that AS works on PQ, this of course becomes much easier. However still some work & testing to make each connector available, so likely will evaluate which are more suited to traditional BI and prioritize accordingly

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • sasi. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would definitely second Nick's comment below that a Azure Databricks Spark connector will be very helpful.

• Nick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would dearly love to see the Azure Databricks spark connector available for Azure Analysis Services.

The work around at the moment is to create external Polybase tables in Azure Data Warehouse which read the underlying Parquet files. This just adds unneeded complexity and cost to our architecture as we don't want/need to store any data in Azure SQL DW.

I haven't seen much progress at all in Azure Analysis Services lately so perhaps all the attention is elsewhere at the moment?

• julian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a critical issue for my organization. We have our own internal APIs and they will not work in AAS Tabular 1400 level, but they do work in Power BI. In Power BI I was able to create a new "blank query" and copy M Query code from VS, and it worked instantly.

In VS I can connect to my api/web service, create a query, and create a table, but no data will load. This is absolutely critical to our solution. There is an M Query function to call apis/web services (generic), which is the Web.Content function. But there is no Protocal for an api/web service in the Data Source Definition library.

After all of my research, I can find examples of the json code for the .bim file to add a Data Resource Definition, but it appears that there exists no Protocol property specifically for apis/web services, and thus I cannot add my web service to the Data Sources section of the model. And therefore, my queries will not load the data, even though they will connect to the data surce (api) and allow me to navigate them and edit them, even showing the records in the Query Designer. But when I close and "process" the table, no records are imported.

Please help and add "Web" and web service / api connectors protocols to the data source definition library asap for AAS Tabular 1400 level.

• Bill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Redshift is really important. We are doing a project for Trimble Software and we are blocked because of the lack of DirectQuery in the Tabular data model.

• Brian Roginski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Converting models from Power BI to AAS is a big need for our organization, it's great to see so many new connectors become supported in AAS however, only a small fraction are supported during the conversion process from Power BI to AAS. Rebuilding every model that needs to be converted isn't really an option so it would be nice to see the Web Designer support importing power bi models with more connections supported, specifically ODBC in our case. Even better it would be nice to see an option to import from power bi in visual studio similar to the current import from powerpivot option.

• Vijay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello, good to see this has been already raised and acknowledged. I am particularly looking for IBM DB2 integration support from AAS. We are using the it with Power Bi and and looking forwards for AAS which addresses the issue we have currently. Any idea when DB2 support is planned for?

• John Fitzpatrick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Glad to see this is "Under Review" However it's now December and the list of connectors I posted in July hasn't changed. Is there a prioritization list?

• Kay Unkroth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The plan is to reach parity with Power BI Desktop, so please keep updating your SSDT version every month to get the most recent connector updates. Whatever is enabled in SSDT is supposed to work against Azure Analysis Services.

Feedback and Knowledge Base