How can we improve Microsoft Azure Analysis Services?

Support for multidimensional models

Support for multidimensional models on Microsoft Azure Analysis Services

706 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Wes Brown shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

46 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
An error occurred while saving the comment
  • David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On another note, mine is the 700th vote! This idea reminds me of the uservoice idea for allowing "visual studio" developer tools to run as x64 processes (devenv.exe and related ones like xdesproc, PreviewProcessingService, etc).

That uservoice idea, like this one, had the highest number of votes in the community but it still got killed. As-of now we still no not have any x64 developer tools despite the fact that these are the kinds of processes which would benefit greatly from large amounts of addressable memory.

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with others that it is taking way too long to get communication on this. It took five years to build SSAS 2005, and apparently its going to involve an extremely long communication lapse (another five years?) before Microsoft tells us that it doesn't have any future plans for SSAS MD.

It's interesting to me that the Power BI product team wants to "ship constantly" and they want to have an "amazing connection to the community" where they can react quickly and deliver new features in response to community feedback. But it's clear that certain efforts (like this one) are larger and more ambitious, and cannot be delivered in small increments. But if Microsoft WON'T DO THEM (despite lots of community votes), then at some point they have to STOP saying that they are responsive to community feedback.

I think that it is more accurate to say that Microsoft is very responsive to the easier requests and put blinders on to avoid dealing with the harder requests.

In any case, it doesn't seem like it is too much to ask for better communication about the future direction of SSAS MD. I suspect that Microsoft won't move "MD" to Azure because you don't want the playing field to be level (giving MD another shot at competing with "tabular" modeling). This ensures that most customers migrate to "tabular", even in cases where the technology isn't a very good fit.

• Yuri commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed, update really would be helpful, especially considering mass solution migrations
    to tabular space (wide market indicators, activity/discussions on TechNet/MSDN community),
    although I don't mind having some extra paid workload in case if they decide
    to bring MD back to life (thus migrating Tab back to MD), the only problem from global
    perspective it's a lot of activity without much of efficiency - so quite bad practice.
    Dream on..

P.S. It still says "Under Review", if by any miracle it goes into "Planned" status - then it might take another year or two till "Started", then at least 6 months++ till "Preview" and then another 6M+ for "GA/Release". Just sad and pathetic :\ RIP MD.

• Dan Wakefield commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still required please - An update would be really helpful, difficult to plan next steps without knowing where this is heading.

• Srikanth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

:) by the time this feature is released, I am almost certain that most of the client's world have rebuilt their solution using Tabular. Analysis services blog has been moved from a standalone to Power BI blog as a sub-section. I suspect most of the people who were working or associated with Analysis Services Multidimensional are spending almost all of their time on Tabular version. With these suspicions in my mind I have a feeling that this feature will not be released any time soon.

• John Corker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update on this please?
    This has a lot of votes but hasn't been updated for a more than a couple of years now. We'd still like to use this.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Could you please provide any update on the Multidimensional model support in Azure Analysis Services ?

• Santosh Joshi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, we want to lift and shift on premise SSAS cube to Azure. Re developing everything in Tablular cube is something I'd do last, Going for IaaS is very costly and PaaS for MD SSAS cube is not available, Any idea when will it be available in Cloud. Really need this feature ASAP. Not sure why MS is not keen to have this awesome tool as part of PaaS.

• Yuri commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Up.

Update?

Does "Azure AS PM Team" account has anything to add?
    Like RoadMap / TimeLine ?

Because so far it seems what SSAS platform is rapidly degrading on functionality (and bringing PowerQuery-based Tabular into Cloud gives an impression of least-hassle approach by simply migrating primitive client version with some lightweight at minimum/no effort to server-side, not serious at all).

Have you guys there at MS lost your proper team of architects/solution programmers?

Normally absence of reliable communication and certain guidelines/plans over such long period of time raising concerns and quite sad flags about the future.
    People quit technology niche and there's nobody left to support demand for platform segment.

IT professionals are very reluctant to investing any effort into acquiring skills around such technologies with no demand or risky future prospects.

No much of functional progress happened for MultiDimensional since 2008 (apart from some minor internal optimizations)

MS-Docs Specification says:
    "Azure Analysis Services is a fully managed platform as a service (PaaS) that provides enterprise-grade data models in the cloud"
    It is not true, as elementary composite key and multiple M2M conditions (etc.) are not supported (therefore requiring significant resources {HW/SW/HR/Time} to refactor existing DWH/source solutions)

• Aaron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update on this? Really wanting to dive into Azure but not having the best Financial capabilities is making me pause.

• Stavros Koureas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need Multidimensional Model on Azure Services ASAP as the big scale projects can not deployed on Tabular.

Some examples:
    1) tables with composite keys can not be implemented on Tabular unless they have a surrogate key being built on DataWareHouse which is taking more time in ETL.
    2) for huge analytical data we can not use inMemory as the solution will not be able to fit in RAM and then paggings to disk may be occur.
    3) DAX has not ability over Scopes like in MDX so no DATETOOL.

• Lily Yuen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update on the multidimensional cube support? Hoping to get an update since the last update was 2 years ago?

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base