How can we improve Microsoft Azure Analysis Services?

Support for multidimensional models

Support for multidimensional models on Microsoft Azure Analysis Services

435 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Wes BrownWes Brown shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

16 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Paul MartinPaul Martin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wes, can you please comment on this. I have customers waiting for MOLAP and Under Review for now nearly a year, is a bit much ! Is it happening or not ???

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wes, please reply as you are getting more and more votes on this vital feature, but it has gone completely silent.

• Paul MartinPaul Martin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I get that the MS web security model is better suited to Tabular, but MOLAP is needed for complex financial calculations, and complex time based calculations e.g Insurance Analytics apps have two complex time dimensions Policy Start Date / Month / Year and Underwriting Month / Year which are interrelated. Tabular cannot handle these complexity or calculation wise.

Also from widening the adoption, MS with a hosted AS MOLAP option could kill the competition.

We are all in a catch 22 world at the moment with MS BI :

I) Everyone wants cloud
        ii) Everyone wants performance and application flexibility

I can get I) with Azure Tabular AS and Power BI
        I can get ii) With on premise MS OLAP AS and tools like our own EIB Analytics or Pivot Tables etc

I can't get both - Why ?

• Bharath Kumar KunjibettuBharath Kumar Kunjibettu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If Multidimensional is not going to be ready , please provide work around for features like .current member, Lead and Lag functions using DAX expression as re engineering is turning out to be challenging in Tabular Cube

• BillTBillT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We at Saasabi have an OLAP engine running as a PaaS platform on Azure. It is a parallel in memory OLAP supporting write-back, and the majority of the core functionality of SSAS. It supports MDX, XMLA, OLEDB, Odata and other. It can be deployed in multi tenancy environments or single tenancy. Sophisticated security model, supports multi authentication regimes. It has been in production for over 3 years. Has easy to extend ETL capabilities supporting combinations of API's as well as direct DB calls, extensible framework to integrate into cloud based workflows, ML, Cortana etc.
        All benchmarks against SSAS on complex calcs and functions have shown multiple X performance advantages and more than double that again in terms of price performance.
        We are a strong and committed MS partner and are committed to Azure. The Saasabi platform has been designed for complex planning application requirements. We have a client doing whole of government financial analytics consolidating data over 52 GL's. We have another partner extracting data from thousands of cloud accounting ledgers. If you need an OLAP engine on Azure, that is high performant, dramatically reducing your license costs (compared to VM based solutions) get in touch with Saasabi.

• stuartstuart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with Michael & John, multidim is needed to support planning functionality.

• B BB B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Guys, waiting for update / news on Multidimensional. Can Tabular & Multidimensional not developed in parallel instead of in tandem. Multidimensional users are being alienated from Azure AS.

• John HagelinJohn Hagelin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Michael, Tabular doesn't offer any support to planning functionality, which is why Multidimensional AS would be a great step for the Azure stack in my opinion.

• Michael BjelvenmarkMichael Bjelvenmark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Of cource it's needed. To build an Corporate Performance Managament BI solution that's based on Financial Data Warehouse in Azure is support for multidimensional models needed. For example to get Planning functionality.

• AFPAFP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1) ROLAP against Azure DW - we want and need a fast data warehouse for large data sets, and we want our analysis tools to be in near real time, as the data warehouse loads, thus ROLAP against a data warehouse. Azure DW scales, and that is really important to the future of a DW
        2) Multi-dimensional is better than tabular, has more features, is a better development tool
        3) ROLAP reduces/eliminates the need to support large data sets in SSAS
        4) ROLAP eliminates the need for dual data entry into both DW and SSAS

Feedback and Knowledge Base