Azure Analysis Services

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with Analysis Services? We would love to hear from you! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea, or vote up an idea submitted by another customer. All the feedback you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Analysis Services engineering team. By suggesting or voting for ideas here, you will be among the first to know when it gets done.

Please remember this is only for feature suggestions and ideas! If you have technical questions, please submit a question to our MSDN forum. Azure Analysis Services shares the forum with SQL Server Analysis Services due to same modeling, management tools, etc.

If you need support, please open a support ticket through the Azure Portal.

1. Allow connection to each replica

Scenario 1: I need to check whether any queries are running on any replicas before I pause the Azure Analysis Services instance.

Scenario 2: I need to find and cancel any queries which have been running for more than 5 minutes and I can't control the Timeout connection string property in the client tool such as in Power BI.

I would like to have some new syntax which lets me connect to each query replica with the following server name:
    asazure://southcentralus.asazure.windows.net/servername:ro1
    asazure://southcentralus.asazure.windows.net/servername:ro2

The :ro1 and :ro2 syntax would let me connect to query replica 1 and 2.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Support for username() and userprinciplename() in calculated columns

Currently Azure Analysis services does not support many DAX functions such as username(), lookupvalue() etc. in calculated columns. There are requirements from clients to customize column values based on logged in user which cannot be implemented without these functions in calculated columns. Azure Analysis services should support all these functions to cater these requirements as they are vital for BI.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Required Connection to Cosmos DB

Please provide a connection to Cosmos DB from Azure Analysis service with JSON schema option

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Bring Upgrade Analytics to Azure Government OMS

Upgrade Analytics to Azure Government OMS

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Making Azure Analysis service a Self Service Data Preparation platform i.e. similar to PAXATA

Making Azure Analysis service a Self Service Data Preparation platform i.e. similar to PAXATA

Actually I don't see how AAS can be used for Self-data Preparation, majority of business users look to something similar to PAXATA.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Required Filter at Perspective

Scenario
    I have a cube (tabular model)
    It contains a list of Customers, and a measure Revenue.
    The Customer table has a column Client Account Manager.
    I will have a report which points to this default perspective, and the Security Role will apply Row Level Security showing only the Client Account Manager their Revenue, for their Customers. Simple.

For Account Managers & Non-account managers, I also want them to be able to see the revenue for any Customer, even if it is not their own, but I don’t want them to be able to write a report (or remove a…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. For Azure service, there is “Always On” option; default is “off” and this better be “on” by default.

For Azure service, there is “Always On” option; default is “off” and this better be “on” by default. Some prod service was off unexpectedly during the weekend because of this.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. T

T

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Query for Azure Analysis Services Tabular

I want to use Azure Analysis Services Tabular for Power BI Services with over 1 GB data models.
    My query use the Query in most case Power BI without developers.
    I hope Azure Analysis Services with the Query feature.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. private endpoints

Add option to enable Private Link/private Endpoints for Analysis Services. vNET integration, similar to how many other Azure resources can integrate with Private IP addresses and DNS, would help many teams to simplify designs for connecting to other services such as SQL DB/Synapse.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Allow Azure data factory to connect with Azure Analysis Services as Source

Allow Azure data Bricks,Azure data Factory, SQL Server to connect with Azure Analysis Services as Source

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Include Power Bi Premium Paginated Reports on Azure Analysis Services firewall options

Azure Analysis services "Allow access from the Power BI Service" (enablePowerBIService: true) firewall option does not include connexions initiated from Power Bi Premium Paginated Reports. The only workaround is to allow regions IP ranges from the list : https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=56519

A Premium service should include such feature :

- adding hundreds IPs to an AAS engine is a lenghty operation particularly when you have many engines to manage

- custom tracking has to be done to ensure having the latest list, with automated deployment keep engines accessible
    - allowing hundreds of IPs when just 2 at a time is not the
    1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Being able to disable Row Level Security per relation

Current Row Level Security(RLS) works that when you filter on a dimension, the related fact tables get filtered. While this is a good features, sometimes you have to deal with more complex variants.

Example: Lets say I have 2 dimensions, product and customers, and 1 fact table, sales.

Every user is allowed to see all rows that is connected through the product or customer dimension. However, when they are looking only at the dimensions, they should only see their own products and customer.

Both can be solved, but not in the same scenario.

Scenario 1: See rows either attached to…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Calculation Groups/Types

this is a general suggestion to the DAX/Analysis Services. Based on what I thought calculation groups would bring.

I thought selectedmeasure() would work like, Isfiltered().. so you could somehow choose a calculation and then apply a measure in power bi.

So i would make a YTD Calculation "group".. and then I could choose any measure in power bi and apply it to. So you don't have to create Sales YTD, Quantity YTD, OrderIntake YTD etc etc etc.

you would simply have a "group" function called YTD. and then it could function with all the measures. to reduce the insane amount…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Allow Updating Azure Analysis Services while in Paused state

When an Azure Analysis Services instance is Paused, any deployment of an Azure Resource Manager Template that includes the Azure Analysis Services instance fail with the error "The server is currently being updated. Please try again later.".

This happens even if the exact same configuration is applied to the Azure Analysis Services instance and has the potential to break CI/CD pipelines as a result.

Azure should allow Analysis Services to be "updated" by Resource Manager Templates while in the Paused state for configuration that is not dependent upon a running instance.

Other Azure resources like Stream Analytics and Synapse Analytics…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Firewall Rules DeployifNotExist Policy to check compliance

We are wanting to implement a policy that will deploy firewall rules through policy to Azure Analysis Server. Every scenario I tried doesn't seem to work. It looks like the Existence condition doesn't like the alias's for this service. I could be doing something wrong, but if there is a way or could be a way to do this, that would be great. It appears within the Api there is not an Enable Option for the firewall to set to true, so wondering if that may be the problem.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Allow backup and restore of AAS "server" settings.

Allow restore of AAS "server" settings. Currently we can capture the settings using XMLA query, but there is no method to restore those settings to another AAS server (e.g. for DR or HA purposes).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Support parameter validation for AAS REST API

Currently I get a 500 error if I send a mal-formed JSON payload, this should be a 400 error with a meaningful message

{'error':{'code':'InternalError','subCode':0,'message':'An internal error occurred.','timeStamp':'2020-03-06T10:50:57.1721115Z','httpStatusCode':500,'details':[{'code':'RootActivityId','message':'ce5ce935-2702-4023-b2f1-69abcc1a0c34'},{'code':'Param1','message':'Object reference not set to an instance of an object.'}]}}

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Importante analisar todos os serviços em descrição ao servir os usuários que comentam

Auto analisar os serviços prestados pelos os sites Microsoft Azure e os demais.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Create connection gateway form does not recognize my on-premise data gateway

Hi, I tried to create an on-premise data gateway on my local machine to import data into Azure Analysis Services tabular project. I followed the instructions downloading and installing the app on my computer. However, when I try to create a gateway from Azure portal, it does not recognize the installed instance. Please refer to attached screenshots.

Could you please help on this please? I have tried using an Azure VM and did the same steps. Still failed to achieve it.

Thank you,
    Sam

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Azure Analysis Services

Categories