Azure Analysis Services

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with Analysis Services? We would love to hear from you! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea, or vote up an idea submitted by another customer. All the feedback you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Analysis Services engineering team. By suggesting or voting for ideas here, you will be among the first to know when it gets done.

Please remember this is only for feature suggestions and ideas! If you have technical questions, please submit a question to our MSDN forum. Azure Analysis Services shares the forum with SQL Server Analysis Services due to same modeling, management tools, etc.

If you need support, please open a support ticket through the Azure Portal.

1. Allow programmatic import of PBIX to Azure Analysis

Just that, import via web interface is great but only once. To allow modeling to continue in PowerBI Desktop, it'd be sweet to have a powershell method to import that file.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Emulation or support for member properties in Excel

Tabular models do not support the Properties function in Excel. (right click on a member, select properties, you get a blank list). This is because Tabular models do not have member properties as far as I know. However, users of legacy multi-dimensional cubes may have been trained to use properties in Excel and may be confused as to why this option doesn't work with newer tabular models.

I would like to suggest that Analysis Services either provide the functionality for member properties for designers of tabular models OR provide some kind of emulation in Excel so the end user has…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. HIPAA compliance for Azure Analysis service

AS per the below link,

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/trustcenter/compliance/hipaa

Azure analysis service is not under the covered services for HIPAA compliance, So please include the support else we have to use only SQL Server inside an Azure VM instead of going with AAS.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Basic filter improvement

Query section -> filters -> Basic
    What is now, the basic filter provides including different rows of 1 column, implemented as a simple select(dropdown menu). But if I need to select a big number of rows at once, I have to search select each of them so many times. To my mind, it is better to customize the choice, because it may be sometimes disgusting to pick every.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Syntax highlighting for TMSL

Can we get syntax highlighting for TMSL? Maybe even intellisense? It'd be really handy when editing a model.bim file.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Encode as integer

My data lineage systems frequently use uniqueidentifiers or hash keys. I have to apply surrogate keys to them which doesn't parallelise well or compress well in the vertipak engine.

I would like to import these fields directly into the analysis services model and mark them "encode as integer". Analysis services should encode and display the columns as an integer. The alpha-numeric code should not be stored in the dictionary. At process time, the original values would be read, coalesced across active and inactive dax relationships (thus part might be tricky) , compiled and then discarded.

My nderstanding is that it…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Improve connection experience

This is driving me a bit nuts.
    I have two machines. One local and a Azure VM with:
    SQL Server 2016
    SSAS Tabular
    and
    Azure SQL database.

My employer doesn't have any Azure Active directory services.

I've created an AAS server and can connect to it with ssms.

When I try to deploy I get error messages, but somehow the metadata for both database sources has been deployed but it cant process.

It keeps insisting that the impersonation settings are invalid but I can only use windows authentication to access the vm in azure.

At first I forgot to add…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. auto-restart

Update Azure Analysis services so it auto-pauses after 1 hour of inactivity and then auto-restarts when the first person tries to access it similar to the functionality for Azure SQL Server.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. parquet fle data source

add support to parquet file as a data source

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. in results to grid in SSMS, maintain CR/LF

In the results of a DAX query against a AAS cube, the results don't maintain line breaks or other formatting.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. BUG : datediff gives an error when startdate is bigger then enddate

Clearly stated in the documentation https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dax/datediff-function-dax but in other systems (Excel/SQL) it should return negative values

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Post when updates are pushed out to AAS

Please post somewhere on the Azure Portal when updates are pushed out to AAS. In early December, two of our models were no longer able to process due to invalid, but unused, M query code. Removing the code allowed us to refresh the models.

As there is no posting of when updates are posted, we can only assume that an update was pushed to AAS that prevented our models from refreshing. If there was a posting that we could reference, it would help us with identifying the issue and building a workaround for it sooner.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Allow GUI support to change between M and SQL query type in SSDT

Working on existing compatibility level 1200 model project migrating to compatibility level 1400 model project require user to edit or re-create data sources and changing partitions from query type SQL to M language manually. It will be great to have an option to change existing query type from M language to SQL and vice versa in the designer view.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Allow user priority to boost users' execution priority

It would be really useful to allow a user priority value, so users with higher priorities get execution priority too, and their queries will preempt lower priority requests.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. QPU Percent Utilisation metric for Azure Analysis Services

There's no metric available for Azure Analysis Services to show the percent utilisation of QPU - only absolute QPU usage.

This makes it hard to alert on because a single threshold value won't scale with the size of the instance.

Azure SQL offers a DTU percent consumption metric which is a function of usage/DTU limit of the instance.

Is there a good reason the equivalent can't be added for AAS?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Azure Portal Metrics AAS - split by database

Would be great to be able to use database as a splitting variable when analyzing metrics in the portal for AAS. For example, I am interested to know the memory consumption of each DB on the server, but that can only be achieved right now through DMVs.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Open Source Web Designer (Now Deprecated)?

Even though I knew it was slated for deprecation, I was still sad seeing the web designer go. It was a really well done piece of software. Yeah, the pbix import was a nice to have but tbh what blew me away was its usefulness as querying / exploration tool. The interface was top notch supporting both casual browsing via drag and drop as well as the query editor for more advanced authoring. Any chance we could see the tool (or snippets of it) open sourced? : )

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. RetainPartitions

Need an option to use the RetainPartitions from MD on Tabular as manually adding partitions instead for having and automated process is not ideal.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Client libraries for JavaScript/TypeScript clients

Currently, there are no officially supported client libraries available for NodeJS clients built using JS/TypeScript languages. The only way to access data from tabular models/cubes is to use another wrapper C# service and talk to that service from the NodeJS client (see this forum post for context: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/cb5c7edb-5eeb-41dd-b59b-f40253bf5e69/nodejstypescript-client-library-support-of-azure-as?forum=AzureAnalysisServices)

It would be great to have an official library package for these kinds of clients.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Respect data types when AAS model is being viewed in Excel

We have found that when viewing a cube pivot based on AAS that all data values are imported as string, regardless of the type set in the model.
    This is in spite of the fact that when viewing standard Tabular Analysis Services models in Excel data types are respected.
    Recognising data types allows for the creation of date hierarchies and mitigates sorting issues that occur when sorting by text values.
    Please import data into the correct types when an AAS model is being viewed in Excel.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Azure Analysis Services

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base