Azure Monitor-Application Insights

Welcome to the Azure Application Insights UserVoice site. This site is for suggestions and ideas for all aspects of Application Insights such as our SDKs, Web tests, Analytics, etc. We look forward to hearing from you!

The Application Insights team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add HTTP Queue Length metric

Add HTTP Queue Length metric to Servers table (and maybe a graph)

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Metrics & charting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add support for HTTP method and HTTP header in "URL ping" web tests

Lots of our API requires authorization, in these cases we need to add HTTP header to the request.

We've had a problem with app service not accepting PUT and DELETE requests multiple times (the requests were canceled before they reached our code = they were not logged in Application Insights for example) and we want to have a test that lets us know when this happens again.

In both cases, URL ping test would be enough we could specify HTTP method & HTTP header. It does not make sense to use multi step web tests for this & pay for…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Web tests  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Expose a "Application Insights Component Reader" Role Definition

In the same way you expose the "Application Insights Component Contributor" role, expose a new role that give access to Overview and all other parts of AI (including Analytics) in a read-only fashion

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Looking for Custom schedule for availability test rather just 5/10/15 min

Looking for Custom schedule for availability test rather just 5/10/15 min

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Web tests  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add a public library of common used analytics queries

While some applications have specific requirements, a lot of reports that come out of analystics must be pretty common. It would be nice to have an área in which to find common queries already optimized and 'verified' by the community and/or Microsoft itself.
    Queries like: "between two dates, which are the pages that had most time consumption difference"

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. SDK for WCF - make it official!

I like the idea of monitoring WCF Services with Application Insights and I'm sucessfully using the related SDK Lab already in production for a while. Please make the WCF Lab SDK offical! In addition, it would be nice to be able to log the RAW SOAP Messages as well.

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/wcf-monitoring-with-application-insights/

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Get status monitor for other platforms (Java based web servers, BDD servers, Linux or Windows)

Status monitor gather a lot of useful info, it would be nice getting a status monitor for other web servers (Tomacat, Apache), hooking into Java SDK too, and compatible with Windows and Linux.

Also, status monitor for other types of servers like SQL Server or Oracle, or non web based app servers would be usefull to understand system behaviors for end to end analysis.

Moreover, installing an agent while system is already in production is a change easy to test and apply, whereas asking for a new release including custom telemetry can take time (depending on continous deployment efficiency).

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Service monitoring and diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. url referral

Need url referral on pageViews, and requests. How to keep track where the visitor come from?

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Azure Function Logs -> Live app metrics should display data for that AF only by default

Currently, if you're looking at an Azure Function's logs and you click on the "live app metrics" link on top you're taken to a (complicated and seemingly impossible to filter) view of ALL currently running app's logs in real time.

I'm proposing that view to be filtered to show only the currently selected AF's logs by default (and to make it easy to switch to see the metrics in all of the current app's AFs or any other AF within the same app).

Making it easy to switch to another app would be a plus.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Metrics & charting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Multi-resource Alerts for AppInsights

For customers that have already created many AppInsight resources having to manually create alerts on each resource is tedious and time consuming. It also doesn't guarantee that the AppInsight Resource Alerts are all configured.

Need a way to enforce alert uniformity across AppInsight resources. regardless of if they are already existing resources or newly created.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Add support for Azure Monitor Service Tag Availability Tests

Currently, Application Insights is part of Azure Monitor. However, Availability tests and other Application Insights are not included in the Azure Monitor service tag, so administrators must instead currently use the IP addresses listed at: For now, the only way to address this would be using the IPs at: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-monitor/app/ip-addresses and subscribing to the RSS feed: https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/azure-docs/commits/master/articles/azure-monitor/app/ip-addresses.md.atom.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Allow me to move of icons in Application maps.

I leverage Application maps to monitor traffic flow. It's difficult to have a holistic view if I'm not able to move the individual icons closer together.
    Right now I have to move up and down the map because the icons spread out too much so I miss something if it's all the way down the bottom, so please allow me to move of icons in Application maps.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Service monitoring and diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Shared queries destination for multiple resource groups

There should be a way to either share queries across multiple resource groups on the same subscription, or at least batch exporting/importing in the analytics blade. It's common to deploy several instances of an application to different resource groups as different sandboxes/environments, but typically we'd be interested in displaying analytics data uniformly across all environments.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Application Map Download application map as screenshot and getting tabular data with application map would be great addition.

Application Map Download application map as screenshot and getting tabular data with application map would be great addition.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Draw dependencies in Application Map for independent services on same sub domain

When two independent services with different cloud role names are hosted on the same subdomain are called from the same source than the Application Map feature in Application Insight does not draw a connection from the source to both application nodes. Instead, the source is only connected to one service node, see "wrongly drawn application map.PNG" in the attached zip file.

The file "BadApplicationMap.cs" have code which produces some sample telemetry that illustrates the current limitation of the Application Map feature. See also "wrongly drawn application map.PNG" for the application map that is created by the telemetry from that code.…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Application Insights - support for multiple environments

It would be good if I didn't have to set up application insights for each of my environments, like local, dev, test, staging, production.

I want all my telemetry for my application to go into one container, and I want Application Insights to be aware of the different environments so I can quickly filter between them when using the Portal.

This could be extended down to Visual Studio, where I can already see my debug telemetry separately from production, but actually, this feature will give the developer even more control and insight into application code, as it passes through the…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Support better deep linking to blades

Right now one can copy the URL in paste it somewhere for others to click on to go immediately to a blade item in Application Insights, such as an exception. However, the link is very long and sometimes when users go straight to the URL it doesn't load correctly the first time. It would be nice if there was a "share" link or something similar where we could get a shorter url and if going straight to the urls loaded correctly the first time.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Character encodings supported by Application Insights

It would be nice if it is clarified which character encoding is supported by Application Insights and SDKs.
    We may want to send telemetry with application logs via LogBack and AI Appender but the log may have multi-bytes local language characters.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Show different trace colors based on severity

On the Search blade, all of the Traces are green, whether or not the level is Informational, Warning, Error, etc. It would be nice if you could change it so that Debug was blue, Informational was green, Warning was yellow, Error was red, etc. to make it easier to distinguish the different levels in the list.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Capture Screen Resolution is missing

You used to be able to get Screen Resolution by creating a new Session chart and Grouping By "Screen Resolution". This option is no longer there! How can find this info now so it can help me make decisions (please don't let it be send custom events... i need to look at my current historic data)?

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base