Azure Monitor-Application Insights

Welcome to the Azure Application Insights UserVoice site. This site is for suggestions and ideas for all aspects of Application Insights such as our SDKs, Web tests, Analytics, etc. We look forward to hearing from you!

The Application Insights team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Show different trace colors based on severity

On the Search blade, all of the Traces are green, whether or not the level is Informational, Warning, Error, etc. It would be nice if you could change it so that Debug was blue, Informational was green, Warning was yellow, Error was red, etc. to make it easier to distinguish the different levels in the list.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add ability to see related telemetry for dependency calls

We can see related telemetry for requests and exceptions. Allow us to see this for dependecy calls as well. This would make it much easier to investigate slow or failed dependency calls.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Metrics & charting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Preserve Time Range

When browsing around charts on Azure, they all seem to default to 24-hour time range. I almost always want a 30 minute time range because I'm usually looking at charts when I am trying to diagnose an issue. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that Azure remembers this setting and it seems to be stored separately per blade so I find myself spending a lot of time just switching the granularity.

Ideally, Azure would apply some machine learning and magically figure out what I want and adjust the defaults accordingly. More realistically, I would like to be able to setup a site-wide…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Metrics & charting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Url for time spans and other filtering

It would be great if it were possible to drill into a particular time range for any of the analytis pages, and then generate a URL to be able to send to someone else ( or yourself ) which will take you back to that appropriate timespan (and/or any other filters you have in place ).

Or alternatively be able to save these filters as sharable and just have the timespan as a url parameter.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature

5. Return Export ID on Application Insights Continuous Export creation

Currently, creating a Continuous Export via the API or Go SDK returns a list of all continuous export configurations on success.

It would be better if it returned only the export configuration just created, or only the Export ID for the configuration just created, so the user knows the Export ID of the new export configuration.

Please see https://github.com/Azure/azure-sdk-for-go/issues/4745 for more details.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

6. gelf Graylog format support for streaming logs to Application Insights

gelf is Graylog Extended Format

There is an official and widely used logging driver for Docker based on gelf see https://docs.docker.com/config/containers/logging/gelf/

This idea would enable sending the log output (console output) of a docker container via gelf to Application Insights (log-aggregation) n a direct fashion.

There exists a custom way to achieve this which is however quite hacky, as blogged at https://lbadri.wordpress.com/2018/03/10/sending-docker-container-logs-to-azure-application-insights-using-gelf-driver/

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Integrations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Export user flow graph as png/jpg/pdf

There should be an option to export the user flow graph to an image or a PDF, so it can be shared with colleagues who don't have and need not have Azure access.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Usage Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Application Map Live option

Application Map Live option

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Character encodings supported by Application Insights

It would be nice if it is clarified which character encoding is supported by Application Insights and SDKs.
    We may want to send telemetry with application logs via LogBack and AI Appender but the log may have multi-bytes local language characters.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Live Stream full screen option for OPS view

have an option to open the live stream monitor full screen for a DEV/OPS monitor screen to see traffic and failures in real time.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Service monitoring and diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Add optional resource group filter to Live Metrics Stream

I would like to narrow my view down to only a single resource group when viewing the Live Metrics Stream. In my case I have similar assets deployed to different resource groups. Seeing them all together is good, but I would also like to see one (resource group's worth) at a time.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Metrics & charting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Allow auditing of Application Insights activity

Support the ability to audit and view who is using various features in AI, ad hoc queries that are run, what information was viewed, etc. Perhaps feed this information into Azure Activity Logs or similar. This information can then be used for certain auditing scenarios as well as usage and behavior information.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Capture Region of Executing Process as part of analytics data

In the analytics schema, we have fields cloud_RoleName and cloud_RoleInstance. When an application is deployed to multiple regions and each deployment is using a single instrumentation key, it would be useful to split data by the cloud geographic region that processed the telemetry,

e.g. cloud_GeoRegion, to contain data such as 'West Europe', 'West US', 'UK West' etc.

This would apply to any of the schemas, where cloud_RoleName and cloud_RoleInstance are recorded.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Usage Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Enable ARM configuration of custom schema (open schema)

We create an AI resource on customers behalf, but haven’t found a way to create a data source in the resource

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Send Smart Detection on performance degradation in time

Smart Detection about operation performance degradation sent on daily basis, the ask is to send the notification when the degradation happens.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Smart Detection  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Capture Screen Resolution is missing

You used to be able to get Screen Resolution by creating a new Session chart and Grouping By "Screen Resolution". This option is no longer there! How can find this info now so it can help me make decisions (please don't let it be send custom events... i need to look at my current historic data)?

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Enable more cohort analysis tools in Application Insights

We are using AI for assessing the usage of features using custom events, but better ways of seeing changes in usage over time within Application Insights queries would be beneficial (new chart types and cohort groupings)

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Add the ability to define tags when creating VSTS Work Items in Application Insights

By adding the ability of including tags with a Work Item for VSTS in the Application Insights workflow, this will allow teams to have better query granularity with work that is defined by events in Application Insights.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Work Item integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. url referral

Need url referral on pageViews, and requests. How to keep track where the visitor come from?

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Track CDN metrics in Application Insights

I want to collect my telemetry data for my cdn and be able to tell
    - my overall cdn metrics for my app integrated in my solution
    - if I have a gain when enabling cdn
    - where I should leverage cdn