Azure Monitor-Application Insights

Welcome to the Azure Application Insights UserVoice site. This site is for suggestions and ideas for all aspects of Application Insights such as our SDKs, Web tests, Analytics, etc. We look forward to hearing from you!

The Application Insights team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add a connection count for function apps

Add a connection count for function apps. When my app gets socked with messages it goes into an unhealthy state as it tries to process all of them. It opens too many connections. Regardless if I use a lazy one or not, It's going to choke if it takes a long time to process and it's receiving a lot in a rush.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Metrics & charting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Redact user information from Continuous export of App Insights

With GDPR it would be nice to add a feature that allows you to redact user information when using the continuous export function with App Insights.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Make "New Work Item" send to a webhook

As we use Target Process rather than Github or VSTS I would like a new work item to send to something we control so we can generate work items

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Smart Detection  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Please show the instance id

In live stream, you only show the name of the instance, please all the process is with the id of the instance please show it in the columns options

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Please capture the full query text when recording SQL Commands

Currently it appears as though SQL commands captured by AI are truncated if they're greater than 750 characters (I believe). For those of us that use Entity Framework, that's often not large enough to capture the entire command. This makes diagnosing query problems very difficult.

Please capture either all of the command text, or at least something larger like 1500 or 3000 characters. Yes, this is a very large query - but it can be difficult to tame the beast that is Entity Framework.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Service monitoring and diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Seeing issues with Capturing Users, Sessions, Browser, Country and Events information charts in Application Insights

Hi,

I see issues in viewing telemetry data on App Insights Charts in Users, Sessions and Events sections in Usage Metrics.
    I'm using applicationinsights-js SDK in modular approach(Angular5 Typescript & Ionic Framework). I was able to capture dependencies, traces and other info, but unable to view Users/Sessions/Country Region info. Any help is greatly appreciated.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Usage Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Bring back the Custom Exception Properties Filter

We were able to filter custom exception properties earlier. This was useful in being able to get rid of the noise when many custom properties are being saved for an exception

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Service monitoring and diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Remove custom events

Please let us remove some events.

The event javascript is a bit confusiong, so for example, i added a trackEvent("timezone", "Europe/Lisbon") , and what happened is that, the event timezone value for that event is split into an array of values like E, U,R,O,P,E,/,L,I,S,B,O,N , creating in the filter the prop E, U, r, and so on... Only after a bit of searching i realized i had to something more like trackEvent("account stats", {timezone:timezone}) and so on.. but now my filters are a bit polluted with wrong event data and need to remove that.

Also for the metrics explore, i…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Metrics & charting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Application Map not working for WebApp

Turned out that Application Map doesn't work for WebApp. Would be nice to specify it on the site, so that we wouldn't have to spend time trying to make it work. Do we know when it will be supported?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Add a 'description' attribute to the AI instance definition and dashboard

We have a growing number of AI instances in our account, and since the Name cannot be changed (without a corresponding change in the application(s) that report to it), it is often very difficult to figure out which AI instance is the "right" one for a given project. Adding a "description" text field which could be edited at any time would greatly assist in management.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Results sorted by timestamp value in descending value; most recent to oldest by default

By default the results should be ordered by most recent timestamp to oldest.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Add the ability to disable warning emails in Powershell

The daily cap warning level cannot be set or disabled via PowerShell, only the cap reached email or level can be set.

The PowerShell command Set-AzureRmApplicationInsightsDailyCap needs to be updated accordingly to accommodate for the warning as well.

Also, when adding a new feature like this, the PowerShel needs to be updated before the feature is released for public consumption. Otherwise admins get flooded by emails if they have a lot of app insights in Azure and they then have to manually go and disabled or set the cap for hundreds of app insights.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Enable segmentation of a web application in AI

It should be possible to segment a website into different areas. Only data within an area should be used for smart detection and other features.

For example
    In a website there might be two areas, the normal User website that's available to normal users, and another area, the Admin site which is used by administrators.
    It is not useful to be told that a page doing some maintenance task in the admin portal is doing much worse than all other pages...it is supposed to run for a long time!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Make upgrades of the Nuget packages for AI in Visual Studio non destructive to the current configuration

Today, when you upgrade AI in VS, the new packages completely over writes whatever config you currently have.

Make the upgrade smother and provide a GUI for configuring AI in Visual Studio

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Visual Studio integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Exclude the first few requests/events for each url/page/resource after a restart when evaluating Smart Detection, since those are not repres

Exclude the first few requests/events for each url/page/resource after a restart when evaluating Smart Detection.

The initial requests to a url/page/resource typically take much longer time than what is normal.
    So the timing and measurements of the initial requests to a page/url only misleads the Smart Detection evaluation and produces a lot of random and useless results.

Suggestion
    1. Figure out when a resource is restarted (probably the same time that AI is initialized).
    2. Keep an internal dictionary for requests, dependencies and other stuff. Reset when restarted.
    3. Every time a request/dependency/resource is processed by AP, add it to…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Add support for SQL in analytics queries

I have been trying to use the azure analytics custom query language (does it even have a name?) for months and have found it annoying to learn, limiting to apply, and inconsistent with other well developed data query languages such as TSQL.

Why don't you just allow SQL to query the results database? Since back-end developers often know SQL anyway, it would be a much smaller step to dive into the analytics portal, and could open many possibilities for more powerful and flexible queries.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. SKIP the mandatory creditcard info at sign-up, there are more developers without a Creditcard than with one. Creditcards are only

SKIP the mandatory creditcard info at sign-up, there are more developers without a Creditcard than with one.

See what the creditcard brought the USA economy (2008) and do not wonder why people (mostly not Americans) are very reluctant to take a creditcard.

So by means of this policy you exclude people that don not want to live off credit.

That is a discriminating policy and should be changed immediately.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Ability to set users Browser Location to App Insights from the javascript.

We have a business scenario, where our internet server is located in different country region (HongKong) and my application users are accessing the app from India. However, in page view report the users location is still show as HongKong. I think this is something we should have ability to overcome. It is very much likable scenario for other Companies as well and could add more value to the Application Insights as well.

I had communication with one of the exec from Microsoft and found that there is a method by which we set authenticated user (setAuthenticatedUserContext). Can we have a…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Need to share application map into azure dashboard with the preview map not classic map.

Need to share application map into azure dashboard with the preview map not classic map.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base