Azure Monitor-Application Insights

Welcome to the Azure Application Insights UserVoice site. This site is for suggestions and ideas for all aspects of Application Insights such as our SDKs, Web tests, Analytics, etc. We look forward to hearing from you!

The Application Insights team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. application insight veracode

hi, i one of c# library to log messages to app-insight i note below code. As per fix comment it says to resolve veracode reported security issues.. i believe we dont need to do this as appinsight will already take care of all injection stuff during ingestion and during display in appinsight reports portal. any expert suggestions please advise or pointers

string contents = Layout.Render(logEvent);

contents = contents.Replace('<', ' ')

.Replace(&#39;&gt;&#39;, &#39; &#39;)

.Replace(&quot;\&quot;&quot;, string.Empty)
    .Replace(&quot;&#39;&quot;, string.Empty)
    .Replace(&quot;\r&quot;, &quot; &quot;)
    .Replace(&quot;\n&quot;, &quot; &quot;);
    contents = HtmlEncoder.Default.Encode(contents);
    return contents
    .Replace(&quot;%0d&quot;, &quot; &quot;)
    .Replace(&quot;&amp;#xA;&quot;, &quot; &quot;)
    .Replace(&quot;%0D&quot;, &quot; &quot;)
    .Replace(&quot;%0a&quot;, &quot; &quot;)
    1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Service monitoring and diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Stop forcing me to give feedback - I have work to do

I am in the middle to trying to to work - and the Azure portal decides I need to provide feedback - no way to opt out - just provide feedback - or this drop down will not go away. It sucks - I am trying to do work - I will provide feedback when I am not in the middle of something .

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Service monitoring and diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Would like the ability to display dates in clients time zone in smart detections.

Currently smart detection shows dates in UTC. We would like the ability to set the time zone for display purposes only.. or use timezone based on the client browsers time zone

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Smart Detection  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Don't allow Microsoft.ApplicationInsights.NLogTarget to be installed on .NET 4.0

Microsoft.ApplicationInsights.NLogTarget requires Microsoft.ApplicationInsights, but when I add the NuGet package Microsoft.ApplicationInsights.NLogTarget on a project that targets .NET 4.0, it installs fine, but doesn't install Microsoft.ApplicationInsights. Trying to manually add Microsoft.ApplicationInsights results in an error since it requires .NET 4.5. I think Microsoft.ApplicationInsights.NLogTarget needs to block installation on .NET 4.0 unless there is something I'm totally missing.

Also, if there is a better place to file bugs, please advise.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Integrations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. How do I remove ApplicationInsights for a specific environment from Azure Portal ?

What is the way to deactivate App Insights for our production environment ? We could remove AppInsights nuget packages from our app, but that would prevent us from using it when deployed in our test / staging environment. However, we do not want to use it anymore on production environment (due to too many "surprise monthly price" bad news).

How can we do that ?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Do not deprecate weekly Application Insights Digest Emails

Please do not deprecate the weekly Application Insights digest emails. They provide exactly the information I want and need without the added effort of having to setup a custom reporting option. It just seems silly to take this feature away and force your customers to setup a programmatic "custom" reporting option using Microsoft Flow or Logics Apps with an Azure Function when you already provide a very reasonable automatic weekly digest email option.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Add convenience support for aggregating metrics

Can the sample code here be supported and merged into the SDK? https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/application-insights/app-insights-api-custom-events-metrics#aggregating-metrics

I like how natural and convenient the Requests and Exceptions and etc. integration is (for ASP.NET) but metrics is less convenient at the moment.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Add outbound ports to app insights.

App services have an insanely low number of available outbound ports (~160). Past that things start to slow down and time out. Yet there is little to no information on the port usage. This would be invaluable for troubleshooting connection timeouts, keep-alive strategies, etc.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Reduce Map Spacing when clustering

When you have a map with many services/roles/applications.
    There is a tendency to have a few "hotspots" centered on the map and all the other things moved "far away" such that to get an overview you have to zoom out where each node in the graph is ridiculously small.

It would be awesome if the clustering could somehow take into account that the spacing relative to these central hotspots should not be too large. Included screendump of an example.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Metrics & charting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Change variables and preconditions names in applicationHost.xdt file for app service extension in Azure

The application insights azure app extension comes with an applicationHost.xdt file.
    You guys have the same names of variables and preconditions of all the examples found online.

For example, the name of 2 variables and 1 precondition:
    HTTPACCEPTENCODING and HTTPXORIGINALACCEPTENCODING
    NeedsRestoringAcceptEncoding

So when i added my own applicationHost.xdt file with the same variables names (as were the examples found online), in order to do reverse proxy with URL rewrite i had issues making it work.
    I am new to this, so it took me a while to figure it out that there was actually…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Dimension in User Flow Chart

If you select Dimensions in the User Flow it's not getting visible if there are long event names. Therefore show it seperatly on the cards.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Allow query results to be formatted and emailed periodically

I should be able to provide a query, specify it's run frequency/trigger, map it's results to a template and email that out to a specific email address.

Currently you redirect us to azure functions but that places the burden on end users. Reporting should be a core feature of AppInsights.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Add a connection count for function apps

Add a connection count for function apps. When my app gets socked with messages it goes into an unhealthy state as it tries to process all of them. It opens too many connections. Regardless if I use a lazy one or not, It's going to choke if it takes a long time to process and it's receiving a lot in a rush.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Redact user information from Continuous export of App Insights

With GDPR it would be nice to add a feature that allows you to redact user information when using the continuous export function with App Insights.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Make "New Work Item" send to a webhook

As we use Target Process rather than Github or VSTS I would like a new work item to send to something we control so we can generate work items

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Smart Detection  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Please show the instance id

In live stream, you only show the name of the instance, please all the process is with the id of the instance please show it in the columns options

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Please capture the full query text when recording SQL Commands

Currently it appears as though SQL commands captured by AI are truncated if they're greater than 750 characters (I believe). For those of us that use Entity Framework, that's often not large enough to capture the entire command. This makes diagnosing query problems very difficult.

Please capture either all of the command text, or at least something larger like 1500 or 3000 characters. Yes, this is a very large query - but it can be difficult to tame the beast that is Entity Framework.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Service monitoring and diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base