Azure Monitor-Application Insights

Welcome to the Azure Application Insights UserVoice site. This site is for suggestions and ideas for all aspects of Application Insights such as our SDKs, Web tests, Analytics, etc. We look forward to hearing from you!

The Application Insights team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. How to perform queries using the Azure API format: user authentication

I want to get json data as explain in rest api doc https://dev.applicationinsights.io/documentation/overview

customEvents | where customDimensions.teamId == '8bcb0466-8227-4de4-b001-b70381b9cd04'

As the rest api have limit of 15 call per min and 1500 per day as doc https://dev.applicationinsights.io/documentation/Authorization/Rate-limits says to use Azure API and Azure Active Directory but there is no example available for that.

I want to do it in node js but didn't find any sdk for the same.

For AD authentication I used assport-azure-ad library.
    node.js azure active-directory ms-application-insights

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Deleting Application Insights Resource does not remove site extension from app service using that resource

When removing Application Insights from an app service, you can delete the resource in the portal. But it still keeps the site extension for the Application Insights Profiler web job installed and running. You have to manually uninstall the site extension to fully remove all traces of application insights from the app service. This should happen automatically.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Service monitoring and diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Please provide documentation

There is need for a good reference documentation (like normal MSDN documentation on the MSDN site), as well as "user guide" documentation and architectural documentation with whitepapers and elaborations on the different ways the framework can be used under different circumstances. For example how to use it in complex solutions with man different systems and platforms involved with different development, testing and production environment, integration with VisualStudio.com and so on.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow customers to identify App Insights resources which are collecting data but no one is viewing it

It's essential in the enterprise to ensure that App Insights resources that are collecting data are really being used, and not just collecting data, incurring costs, but no one is using the data.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Send Smart Detection Sample Email

As a tools administrator, I want to be able to send a Smart Detection sample email based on our app telemetry, to show the capability of this feature to the rest of the development team.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Smart Detection  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Disable particular Event(s) or Metric(s) on portal

I am a Localytics user. On Localytics management portal, there is admin page to allow administrators to enable or disable any event. Once event is disabled, Localytics will not process that event, simply discard it. This is very convenient, because it takes time to wait for the code change to propagate to production or all clients, sometimes, some client may never upgrade.

Once particular events are disabled, there will be no more cost generated by those events.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Service monitoring and diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Make AI status monitor catch requests going through ARR

We want to use status monitor on our IIS based load balancer running Application Request Routing (ARR). Status monitor installs just fine on the IIS site, but it does not catch incoming requests at all. Seems incompatible with ARR.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. When viewing results in the Search page can they be sorted by date & time and millisecond

The problem is we have requests, Dependancies & custom events all sending data but it's not sorted in the correct order they occurred in on the search page. It appears to be using date/time of hours, mins, seconds. It needs to use milliseconds too, which it looks like is being captured in the properties but not used in the search page.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Provide capability to export/import metrics/event/adhoc query, graph, settings from one AppInsights instance to another

i'd like to export all or some of my charts, settings, and queries and move them around from one instance to anther

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Metrics & charting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Please fix web testing urls without a prefix (like example.com)

Currently you can't add a web test with an url like http://example.com
    It will come up with the error: Invalid URI: The format of the URI could not be determined

When adding a http://www.example.com which 302 redirecs to http://example.com,
    the following exception is in the Web test result details "Exception" section:
    System.UriFormatException: Invalid URI: The format of the URI could not be determined.
    at System.Uri.CreateThis(String uri, Boolean dontEscape, UriKind uriKind)
    at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.WebTesting.HtmlDocument.ParseForDependentRequests(Boolean urlsOnly)
    at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.WebStress.WebTestCaseVariation.BuildDependentRequestsList(WebTestInstrumentedTransaction instrumentedTransaction)
    at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.WebStress.WebTestCaseVariation.AddParsedDependentRequests(ExecutionState executionState)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Web tests  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Add metric "Devices (Unique)" to AI UI

I send unique device id when track telemetry (Context.Device.Id = "unique-device-id").
    I have no ability to add chart with devices metric.
    Any chance of adding it?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Sitecore Monitoring

Although the integration with Application Insights will provide reasonable .net metrics, there is no clear documentation on how to get that from Sitecore.
    Please provide monitoring for Sitecore and its components, like MongoDB, SOLR, Tomcat

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Let us know the Ip address of the data the issue occured.

I really like application insights because its integrated in Azure, but sometimes, i need to use also as extra tool, trackjs, because it offers a view into the IP address where the issue occur. Which is handy to identify issues comming from one user or another, that we can then cross data with OUR client CRM. Also it shows for a specific page view, it will track the source code, and then when the error exists, it will allow me to see into the source code of the client, exact line where the js thing failed... Since source code can…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Support more detailed region tracking (and not only by country)

Currently all traffic from your analysis is mapped to "Germany" (or Spain, ...) as region only. This create a lot of single spots but does not allow detailed analysis on the region or city even if those fields are supported in AI.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Please add "View full value" functionality for the Release Properties. Can't see long values.

Please add "View full value" functionality for the Release Properties values. It is an issue for long text i.e. release notes. (Hints show full value)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Integrations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Add "Last 3 Months" to time range selection

Since Application Insights holds data of the last 3 months it would be great to have this selection. It is possible to do with the calendar controls but then you have to update the dates each time you revisit the chart.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Metrics & charting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Display MySQL on Application Map when the database is hosted on VM

I have a website and a MySQL database. The website is hosted as Azure Web App and have Application Insights enabled, and the database is hosted into VM instance. ow the database is not displayed on Application Map. It would be great to see the database on Application Map.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Add a "button" to hide/unhide series

It would be good to be able to hide/unhide series from a chart by clicking on its name in the legend.
    Hiding/unhiding bars in a barchart could be useful too.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Provide documentation and guidance for App Insights + PowerShell

Please provide guidance for integrating Application Insights with both compiled and script-based PowerShell modules.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Make it possible in the AppInsight UI to check if you reached the limit on custom properties and remove old ones

I *believe* that I may have accidentally reached the limit on custom properties, because I'm no longer able to create new ones (see reported issue "PageViewTelemetry Custom Properties not displaying in AppInsight, but DO appear in continuous export data").
    However, I have NO WAY to verify if that's the case, nor any way to clear out the erroneously created custom properties.

As an aside, a limit of 200 properties is FAR too low...and far too easy to reach.

This limit, combined with the inability to KNOW that the limit has been reached and no way to clean them up, has…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base