Azure Monitor-Application Insights

Welcome to the Azure Application Insights UserVoice site. This site is for suggestions and ideas for all aspects of Application Insights such as our SDKs, Web tests, Analytics, etc. We look forward to hearing from you!

The Application Insights team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. User Flow custom time range support

Currently user cannot set custom time range on User Flow menu and it is difficult to get User Flow for specified interval. (e.g. to get daily report, user has to log-in Azure portal same time every day to get last 24 hours of data. )
    Please add custom time range support on user Flow menu.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Metrics & charting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Push notifications for Smart Detection alerts

The email is usually a low priority tool. When there is a critical problem, I notice it too late (when I take the cell to check the email). I usually recive thousands of emails every day, however, push notifications are much less common and more visible.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Smart Detection  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. First class support for Service Fabric

While Service Fabric was in preview there was a nuget package for AI in SF, but seems that it has not gone GA with SF. Would love to see health reports from SF in AI, along with monitoring of services/actors.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Service monitoring and diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Enable ARM configuration of smart detection rules

Programmatic control over Smart Detection rule settings is needed.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for posting this suggestion.

While work has not started on this suggestion yet, configuring Smart Detection rules via ARM and integrating with Action Groups are in our plans, and something we’d very much like to add after the current set of priorities are implemented. We’ll keep posting updates here as anything changes.

As for supporting “to define separate rules sets based on resource groups”, could you please clarify on this suggestion? Are you looking to configure Smart Detection rules at the resource group level rather than on the individual Application Insights resource?

Thanks,
    Harel Broitman

5. Move dashboard widgets to another dashboard

I am currently building multiple AppInsight dashboards and discovered there is no way to move a widget from one dashboard to another. Also, when looking at a AppInsight Chart and clicking the pin, I can't tell which dashboard it will be pinned to.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Metrics & charting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add Cloud Role Name to Live Metrics Stream

On the Live Metrics Stream, the list of servers is displayed.

1. Allow to list a column called 'cloud role name' next to the server name. This makes it clear which server correlates with which server.
    2. Allow easy filtering of the entire page by 'cloud role name'.

When multiple roles share a single application insights resource, it an be hard to figure out which server is doing what. Still, it makes sense to log in a single app insights resource in order to have the relation and querying benifits.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Handle TSQL commands in the dependency blade better

In the command field in the dependency blade, long TSQL commands get truncated and remove the most important part of the statement, the FROM and WHERE clauses. Without this, the entire blade is almost useless.

It would be better to show the entire statement, or even truncate the start of the statement, rather than the end.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Service monitoring and diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. C++ SDK for server and desktop applications

We'd like to use Application Insights with our native (Win32) server application written in C++, as well as our Win32 desktop application (C++).

Without C++ support we can't build a full stack solution based on Application Insights.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Embeddables/Web widgets

I would love to be able to take different metrics/data, and show them with live data on my own company website or dashboard.

We could show the overall performance of our company apps on our custom dashboard.
    It could be an easy way for us to give customers various data about our apps on their environment.

And tonnes of more uses.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Ability to export all the data of currently selected event to CSV / JSON

When you've selected a particular event, all of it's data is show in the detail tab. Provide an ability to quickly save this as CSV / JSON from the portal for reference.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Service monitoring and diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Allow cloning of existing azure monitor alert rules

Most of our alert rules are variants/copies of each other: same alert target, same action group, similar search queries, evaluation logic etc.

It would be great if we could simply clone an existing alert rule (and modify it as needed) instead of creating one from scratch each time.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Alerting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Application Map - Export to PNG

Often the components displayed on the Application Map will extend outside of the visible area. I can take a screenshot if I zoom out, but then it is not legible. Or, I can compose multiple screenshots together as I pan, but that is tedious.

Suggestion: allow exporting the map as an image.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Make data retention period configurable by data type / event content

For now data retention period is fixed to 90 days and can't be changed.
    In reality telemetry events have different values and should be stored accordingly.
    For example I'm interested in storing exception data only for a day or two, just to raise alerts. Trace records are needed to diagnose particular behavior\ reproduce a bug, so they should be kept just for the time I need to get this job done.
    On the contrary user related events, like purchases, logins, specific actions are very valuable and should be stored for years.
    These retention rules are unique to each business, so…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Support a single unified solution for n-Tier Windows Desktop & Server Applications

Application Insights has become significantly less useful since the decision to fragment the telemetry experience by pointing rich client applications at HockeyApp and restricting AI to ASP.NET scenarios.

For Enterprise Development Scenarios we would like to be able to use a single supported solution that works consistently across n-Tier applications built using the full range of currently supported Microsoft Platforms (.NET & Win32 Desktop Applications, Windows Services, WCF Services).

In practise this is still just about possible by using the low level AI SDK, but increasingly Windows Desktop apps are being locked out of new features e.g. the Visual Studio…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Service monitoring and diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for raising this issue. Addressing this is a long-term problem that should be addressed. While this will not be solved in the near future, improving this situation is something under discussion. I will keep this suggestion updated with any progress.

Regards,
    Dale

15. Unable to create Cross Resource Alerts via ARM template

If you change the query to a Cross Resource query using the template in the document linked below, you get a 400 error with this message.

I can take the exact same query and make an alert in the portal against the same Application Insights instance without issue.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/monitoring-and-diagnostics/monitor-alerts-unified-log-template

"error": {
    "code": "properties.search.query is not a valid log or metric query.Response status code does not indicate success: 400 (Bad Request).",
    "message": {
    "lang": "en-US",
    "value": "properties.search.query is not a valid log or metric query.Response status code does not indicate success: 400 (Bad Request)."
    },
    "innererror": {
    "stacktrace": "System.ArgumentException: properties.search.query is…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Alerting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Funnels - where is Export to Power BI button?

According to docs[1] I should be able to export a funnel to power BI.
    So I wonder why this option is missing from my funnel toolbar.
    There is a Share url option but that looks way less useful than the missing one.

[1] https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/application-insights/app-insights-export-power-bi?toc=/azure/azure-monitor/toc.json#export-a-funnel

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Metrics & charting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Update more frequently pinned to a Dashboard charts created in Analytics

As a DevOps I need to observe aggregation of custom metrics showing the pulse of the system, which can be very nicely implemented via a query in App Insights\Analytics but if you pin them on a Dashboard they will update only hourly.

We need an option for auto-refresh on such tiles/charts pinned on dashboard to be refreshed each 1-5 minutes.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Add Release annotations to Live Stream and Metrics, not just Metrics Explorer!

Annotations would be very valuable on Live Stream and the new Metrics(preview) area. My hope this would also push to the dashboards created from these as well.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Support Authenticated User id in usage scenarios

Support Authenticated User id in usage scenarios . For retention currently we are showing retention users value wrt user_Id column. It would be good if we can support user_AuthenticatedId. Similarly for other usage blade like users, session, workbook, funnel etc.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Usage Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Counting by authenticated users is supported in the Users, Sessions, Events, and Cohorts tools. The Retention tool doesn’t support authenticated user counting, but the “N-period retention” workbook template does…check it out in the Workbooks tool. Counting authenticated users is on the backlog for the Funnels tool, but no ETA on when it will arrive.

- David from the App Insights team

20. Error message of delete failure should be more specific.

Even just the App Insights resource is locked to prevent to be deleted, we can't determine it since the error message is as below.

"Could not deleted
    Could not delete application"

The message should be more specific like as other resources such as Web Apps.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base