Azure Monitor-Application Insights

Welcome to the Azure Application Insights UserVoice site. This site is for suggestions and ideas for all aspects of Application Insights such as our SDKs, Web tests, Analytics, etc. We look forward to hearing from you!

The Application Insights team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. save my filters in the live metrics stream

When I filter out SignalR and Dependency 404's, for example, on the Live Metrics Stream, let me save that so I don't have to do it every time I'm monitoring the site.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Metrics & charting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Show percentage between the failed requests and total requests for each URL

In the new Failures tool (in Preview), would be useful if you could add the percentage between the failed requests and total requests for each URL

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Metrics & charting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. save selected columns in the query url

each time we open our saved queries we need to filter the columns again the to see only the relevant columns we need

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Metrics & charting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We appreciate the feedback!
    We have recently improved the selected columns experience in Log Analytics to automatically include columns you extended – read all about this new update in this blog post:
    https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/updates/azure-monitor-log-analytics-ui-updates/

Regrading the saved queries experience, we are currently working on improving the saved/shared queries experience in Log Analytics and we will definitely take this feedback into account.
    Stay tuned for new updates and improvements as they become available.

4. User Flow custom time range support

Currently user cannot set custom time range on User Flow menu and it is difficult to get User Flow for specified interval. (e.g. to get daily report, user has to log-in Azure portal same time every day to get last 24 hours of data. )
    Please add custom time range support on user Flow menu.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Metrics & charting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Move dashboard widgets to another dashboard

I am currently building multiple AppInsight dashboards and discovered there is no way to move a widget from one dashboard to another. Also, when looking at a AppInsight Chart and clicking the pin, I can't tell which dashboard it will be pinned to.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Metrics & charting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add Cloud Role Name to Live Metrics Stream

On the Live Metrics Stream, the list of servers is displayed.

1. Allow to list a column called 'cloud role name' next to the server name. This makes it clear which server correlates with which server.
    2. Allow easy filtering of the entire page by 'cloud role name'.

When multiple roles share a single application insights resource, it an be hard to figure out which server is doing what. Still, it makes sense to log in a single app insights resource in order to have the relation and querying benifits.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Funnels - where is Export to Power BI button?

According to docs[1] I should be able to export a funnel to power BI.
    So I wonder why this option is missing from my funnel toolbar.
    There is a Share url option but that looks way less useful than the missing one.

[1] https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/application-insights/app-insights-export-power-bi?toc=/azure/azure-monitor/toc.json#export-a-funnel

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Add Release annotations to Live Stream and Metrics, not just Metrics Explorer!

Annotations would be very valuable on Live Stream and the new Metrics(preview) area. My hope this would also push to the dashboards created from these as well.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Application Insights: Added Aggregation Type "Median" to Metric Charts

For Metric Charts there are options Sum, Min, Max, Avg.

An additional option Median would be often helpful because it is resistant against outliers.

(The median is the number separating the higher half of values from the lower half.)

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  0 comments  ·  Metrics & charting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Support for time granularity selected in Azure Portal Dashboard (via bin_auto?)

When adding / pinning an Application Insights or Log Analytics chart to the dashboard, you can use the global time selector on the Dashboard to adjust both the the time range (e.g. past 1 hour, past 7 days) and the granularity (e.g. auto, 5 minutes, 1 hour, etc)

However, that works only for the time range, but not for the granularity.

The reason is that whenever you write a query to render a timechart, you have to hardcode the bin size in the query, e.g.:

requests | summarize count() by bin(timestamp, 1m)

Given the query above, I could now choose the…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Metrics & charting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Add Release Annotations to the Performance/Failures views

Would be great if you could see Release Annotations from Dependencies as well.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Automatic refresh and configurable refresh interval

Introduce a dashboard setting to allow configuring a refresh interval, similar to the concept in Kibana, e.g.

https://s33.postimg.cc/4dy7qrbhb/refresh-interval.png

At the configured interval, all tiles on a dashboard should refresh their sources and update accordingly

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Azure Dashboard Tiles for Scalar Analytics Queries

For simple KPIs it would be great to be able to pin a simple scalar result to a small (1x1 to 2x2) dashboard tile.

Ideally these could be made visually identical to the built-in KPI tiles from Application Insights for Users, Page Views, etc, including the option to set an Icon & Up/Down trend.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add HTTP Queue Length metric

Add HTTP Queue Length metric to Servers table (and maybe a graph)

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Add ability to see related telemetry for dependency calls

We can see related telemetry for requests and exceptions. Allow us to see this for dependecy calls as well. This would make it much easier to investigate slow or failed dependency calls.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Preserve Time Range

When browsing around charts on Azure, they all seem to default to 24-hour time range. I almost always want a 30 minute time range because I'm usually looking at charts when I am trying to diagnose an issue. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that Azure remembers this setting and it seems to be stored separately per blade so I find myself spending a lot of time just switching the granularity.

Ideally, Azure would apply some machine learning and magically figure out what I want and adjust the defaults accordingly. More realistically, I would like to be able to setup a site-wide…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Url for time spans and other filtering

It would be great if it were possible to drill into a particular time range for any of the analytis pages, and then generate a URL to be able to send to someone else ( or yourself ) which will take you back to that appropriate timespan (and/or any other filters you have in place ).

Or alternatively be able to save these filters as sharable and just have the timespan as a url parameter.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature

18. Add optional resource group filter to Live Metrics Stream

I would like to narrow my view down to only a single resource group when viewing the Live Metrics Stream. In my case I have similar assets deployed to different resource groups. Seeing them all together is good, but I would also like to see one (resource group's worth) at a time.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Enable more cohort analysis tools in Application Insights

We are using AI for assessing the usage of features using custom events, but better ways of seeing changes in usage over time within Application Insights queries would be beneficial (new chart types and cohort groupings)

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. The preview-map needs more functionality like filtering on role or operation, as well as grouping/hiding of dependencies

In large scale deployments with multiple operations, roles and dependencies the current preview-map is rendered useless as long as filtering, grouping and so forth is not enabled. It should for example be possible to select a specific role to view all its sub operations and/or dependencies.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

The new map experience since has been updated with better grouping of dependencies and the ability to click on any component and see the details of the dependencies/and operations in the performance and failure triage experiences, as well as overall KPI in the right side pane (for groups).

How is this working (or not) for you. We greatly appreciate your feedback and help with improving our product.

Thanks,
    Soubhagya Dash
    7/11/2018

← Previous 1 3 4 5
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base