Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more here.

Azure Monitor-Application Insights

Welcome to the Azure Application Insights UserVoice site. This site is for suggestions and ideas for all aspects of Application Insights such as our SDKs, Web tests, Analytics, etc. We look forward to hearing from you!

The Application Insights team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Show Message within list of events

Would be ideal to see a little more in the list of events then just the event name. I use Events to categorize things but I always have more data added, like "Message", "args" or "Error". It would be great if this is shown in the list of the Matric Explorer => Search list.
    Explained here with pictures: https://github.com/Microsoft/ApplicationInsights-Home/issues/216

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Improve user geolocation accuracy

I know that IP geolocation is almost impossible to get right, but the library/service currently used is very bad for accuracy in the UK. It always makes the common mistake of showing my as based in Manchester, whereas I am actually based in London.
    I don't know what different techniques eurekapi.com are using (I'm not associated with them in any way, except as a customer) but their service puts me not just correctly in London, but right down to the right area, Hammersmith and Fulham.
    It would be great if AI were more accurate for the UK. I can't speak…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Copy PowerBI query to clipboard instead of file download

When you export the PowerBI query from the App Insights Analytics site, it downloads the query in a text file, which is very tedious when exporting a lot of queries to the PowerBI desktop application.

A simple solution is to remove the file download step and simply copy the query directly to the user's clipboard. (See the Kusto Explorer export to PowerBI feature which does exactly this.)

This will allow users to easily paste the queries directly into PowerBI.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Have custom re-usuable methods to help parse data

We have json data coming in via customDimensions and to bring that data out into a column we paste the same let method at the top of each query e.g. extractStringFromJson and call it multiple times in an extend operator.

It would be good if we could have these type of methods stored outside of a query and then call them from a query.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow auto-simplification "Others" group on dashboard pinned charts to be hidden.

Depending on the data being charted the auto-aggregated "Others" group can sometimes be the largest value and overwhelm the other data points in the chart.

For these cases it would be useful to be able to disable showing the Others group chart lines.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Group Token endpoints in Application Map

Our Application Map shows dozens of unique addresses for calls to <IPs>:8081/MSI/token, reflecting every app+host that has Easy Auth enabled. There are more of these phantom endpoints than there are applications, significantly muddying the display.

Suggestion: Since the combination of :8081 & /MSI/token is a well-known service, group all of them to a single node instead of showing each IP individually.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Rename a tile on the Dashboard

Allow the user to Change the Name / Title of a pinned Widget on the Dashboard.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for your feedback and its now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

8. Available Memory Counter in the Azure Live Metrics Stream

Unfortunately, there is no counter for Available Memory (Available Mbytes) or memory consumption in the Live Metrics Stream. It would be great to see one of these performance counters added to the Live Metrics Stream.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

9. Provide link from App Insights Analytics results back to explore the items in App Insights

The Application Insights blades are great for exploring failures/exceptions, seeing what happened in the user session to diagnose issues etc. Often though we have to write specific queries using Analytics. It would be great to be able to open any items (Exception, Custom Event, Dependency, Page View etc) back in App Insights so that the complete session can be navigated and troubleshooting conducted. The current process is that you write specific reports that return the items that you need to look into further, and then manually take the session id (or other identifying value) and go back to Application Insights…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

10. Add support for full browser network monitoring

See similar request: https://feedback.azure.com/forums/357324-application-insights/suggestions/12304518-support-browser-resource-timing-monitoring-and-agg

And Stack Overflow question: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/52955713/appinsights-logging-the-network-tab

As a user, I would like to see the additional following measurements recorded from the Browser API, XHR, CSS, IMG, Font, Doc, WS, Manifest, Other. IE the Chrome Network tab, or what is recorded in a HAR file, so that I can better look for browser dependency related performance issues.

Also,
    As a user, I want the ability to see all the browser dependencies in a waterfall similar to how I do in a browser network tab, so that I can better diagnose performance problems.

Thanks,
    Devin

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. More information on Failure Page

In the failure page can be usefull to have a Failures to Calls ratio

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Add Desktop vs Mobile information in table pageView

I'm looking into the performance of a website on Desktop vs. Mobile devices. The Application Insights table I mainly use is browserTimings.

If it's possible, I would like to see an extra column in the tables pageViews and browserTimings to make it possible to differentiate between Desktop, Mobile, Tablet or Other devices.

I can now make it up from the columns clientType, clientModel, and client_OS, but it would give me more peace of mind if this is already done when Application Insight has processed the data.

Let me know what your thoughts are.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Show data as it is – don't parse strings into objects automatically

App Insights Analytics should not automatically parse data when shown in the UI. Show it exactly as it's returned so we know what we need to do to interact with it. I can't tell you how many times I hav eto play with a series of parsejson and tostring calls until I finally get what I want. When working with a new dataset, it's a good 30 minutes for me to figure it out. It's complete guesswork! I HATE working in App Insights Analytics because of this. It makes it incredibly difficult to work with data, which is pretty important.…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Improve Custom Event attributes sort order

Currently all custom event data tracked is visible in the filtered search. Browsing between multiple events and comparing the custom data is difficult because the order in the dashboard or search view for custom events ALWAYS sorts the custom fields / properties in different order, not even alphabetically.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Need add roles to Application Map

Need add roles to Application Map

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Export functionality in App insight

Would be great if I can export charts in pdf format from Azure app insight.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Can you add a Share button that will pull in the date time of your query so you can share, for instance, a failure graph during a timeframe?

When sending links to the Failure page within AppInsights, you lose the context of the time period you identified. Could you add a share link that would allow you to carry the time period that you may have researched during your App Insights diving?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Correlate Azure SQL Dependency calls (queries) with Query Performance Insight data

It would be great if we could drill down on App Insights dependency duration for the Azure SQL calls / database queries.
    On the other end, in the SQL the performance is also monitored, perhaps somehow correlating the calls from insights with the query ID would be a start?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Export the request urls that have a response code of 404 into csv

In the failures it'd be handy to be able to export the request urls that are giving the 404s so when a page has been removed or multiple pages have been removed. It can easily be exported so redirects can be easily handled and there'll be a reduce in any failures seen.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Block F5 from updating the navigator and execute the query

Block F5 from updating the navigator. And instead, execute the query.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base