Azure Monitor-Application Insights

Welcome to the Azure Application Insights UserVoice site. This site is for suggestions and ideas for all aspects of Application Insights such as our SDKs, Web tests, Analytics, etc. We look forward to hearing from you!

The Application Insights team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add ARM template support for continuous export

We can configure continuous export through PowerShell, but there is no way to do this through ARM templates currently. This would be very helpful.

I use ARM templates to declare the desired state of my resource group. Every time I have to augment ARM templates with PowerShell commands, it gets much harder to deploy and test my deployment pipeline.

56 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Continuous Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Continuous export to Azure Data Lake Store

Application Insights should support continuous export to Azure Data Lake Store the same way as support for continuous export to Blob Storage.

Azure Data Lake Store is the new and "future proof" place to store all raw Big Data that you want to analyze using HD Insights / Azure Data Lake Analytics / Power BI etc.

Attached is a slide from the "Introducing Data Lake" that shows the difference between Data Lake Store and Blob Storage https://mva.microsoft.com/en-US/training-courses/16910

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Export past events in same format as continuous export

After I turn on continuous export I would like to do a one time pull of event data that occurred before continuous export was enabled. This feature would export the data in the same format provided by continuous export to make it easy to ingest into a downstream reporting system.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Continuous Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add properties of tracked events from AppCenter to App Insights, with date and time

On App Center, when I track an event, I can add properties.
    Those are quite limited : https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/appcenter/sdk/analytics/xamarin#custom-events but are fine.
    I would love to be able to export them in App Insights, and to be able to create relationship between each properties.

In other words, properties should be linked to their event and we could known the date and time they have been thrown.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Allow storage accounts with network acl for App Insights Continuous Export

Currently when a storage account has the firewall configured, the continuoous export stops working, due it's not supported as described at "https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-monitor/app/export-telemetry#analyze"
    This request is to enable support for storage account with network acl in place.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Continuous Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Application Insight and REST API Solution

Is there a way Application Insight data that is stored via Stream Analytics to be consumed the same way as using the REST API for Application Insight? Is there source code to stand up the same REST API on a server we host? We need this because we know the data retention is only 90 days for Application Insight.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Fix: Merging of ETL files has failed (0x8007007a) error.

Alert sent to user: Fix: Merging of ETL files has failed (0x8007007a) error.

What should we do now? Does AI recover gracefully or fall into a failed state and require the host to be restarted?

Exception Properties

Event time
    ‎20‎/‎02‎/‎2019‎ ‎4‎:‎11‎:‎48‎ ‎AM

Merging of ETL files has failed (0x8007007a).

Exception type
    System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException

Failed method
    DiagnosticsHub.StandardCollector.Host.Interop.ICollectionSession.Stop

Assembly
    ApplicationInsightsProfiler, Version=2.4.51110.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a

SDK version
    dotnet:2.4.0-32153

Sample rate

Custom Properties
    Source
    ApplicationInsightsProfiler

AgentVersion

RunningMode
    Antares

Description
    StopProfiler failed.

System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException:
    at DiagnosticsHub.StandardCollector.Host.Interop.ICollectionSession.Stop (ApplicationInsightsProfiler, Version=2.4.51110.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a)
    at Microsoft.ServiceProfiler.Collectors.StandardCollectorBase.<StopAndCollectAsync>b__10_0 (ApplicationInsightsProfiler, Version=2.4.51110.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a)
    at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1.InnerInvoke (mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089)
    at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute (mscorlib,…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Compress continuous export data using GZip

It would be great if data could be compressed using GZip while exporting to Blob Storage (either by default, or as an option). It should compress quite well (saving on storage and transfer costs), and if the content-encoding on the blob is then set correctly most tools (and browsers) will be able to decompress the blobs on-the-fly when downloading.

Also, setting the content-type to "application/x-json-stream" may help integration with other tools.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. How to backfill continuous export for a previous date

During Azure outage on 09/04, continuous export stop exporting data to blob from 10 to 15. However I was still able to see data in app insights.

I was not able find a way to backfill export between 09/04 10 am to 3pm. Is the function supported? How to do it?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base