Azure Monitor-Application Insights

Welcome to the Azure Application Insights UserVoice site. This site is for suggestions and ideas for all aspects of Application Insights such as our SDKs, Web tests, Analytics, etc. We look forward to hearing from you!

The Application Insights team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Deleting OMS workspace does not remove Application Insight connection

If an OMS workspace that is bound to an Application Insights is deleted, the Application Insight cannot be bound to new workspace so it cannot be rebound to new OMS workspace. The ask is to have to have the Application Insight rebound to a new OMS workspace.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Enabling Application Insights from command line does not update the portal

Linking an AI to function using APPINSIGHTS_INSTRUMENTATIONKEY, enabling App Insights via command line runs App Insights however, the 'Turn on App Insights' button show as enabled. This would cause some confusion to users as it implies that the App Insights should be turned on. Enabling App Insights via command line should also reflect in Azure Portal and disable 'Turn on App Insights' button.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for your feedback and its now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

3. Add ability to filter timeline to a particular root

Often, I'm only interested in the telemetry for a single request. Howerver, when loading the timeline it also loads all telemetry for every other request associated with the session. This causes a lot of jumping in the UI while waiting for telemetry that I simply do not care about to load.

I would be great to have the option to set a single request from a session as the root of the timeline in order to hide the telemetry for all other requests associated with the session. Preferably, this would be the default behaviour when selecting a request from search…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for your feedback and its now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

4. Set custom role names for APIM

You should be able to pull the role name from API Management service.

Simply set an Azure tag on the resource ai.cloudrole and if it exists, use that instead of the auto generated name.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. instances splitting

When there are more instances they will stack (2) in the service map over view. is there a way to filter by jusy one instance.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. In the present toggle button UI, in dark theme i cannot differentiate between the option i have chosen and the option i want to toggle to.

In the present toggle button UI, in dark theme i cannot differentiate between the option i have chosen and the option i want to toggle to.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. jason.copsey@nielsen.com

In application insights/ application map, please allow me to make the dependencies case insensitive.

the map is good but currently we see multiple dependencies on:
    SERVER.DBNAME
    Server.DBName
    server.dbname
    ... etc.

a little button to ignore case would allow us to highlight actual naming inconsistencies while we get our casing policies in place.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Is there a way (or a future plan) to add a differentiation between Ok/Ko alerts and to send this to our email addreses?

Hi,

We have configured some alerts to some of our applications in Application Insights, and when they raise, we get an email about them with the data in the moment where the problem has begun.

Is there a future plan (or a way) that when this condition for the alert raised not longer applies, Application Insights sends an email with an OK to let us know the problem is solved?

Also, is there a way to customize the emails sent (body or subject)?

Thanks and regards,

Elías Montes Pombar

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Add support for custom E-Mail Alerts

In Azure Monitor and for example Recovery Service Vaults, there are only pre-made E-Mail Alerts possible.

It would be nice to customize the E-Mail Templates please add that Option

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

10. Add Support to have customDimensions in the Logs' "Split By" dropdown

Hi,

I am using Custom Events to track some user activity.

For Example- In our Application every user can set a preference to have certain number of Search results per page. Options being (25,50,75,100). Here our aim is to capture what is the most common Results Per page Number. To capture this I set up a custom event in my JavaScript like -

var resultsPerPage = getResultsPerPage();
    appInsights.trackEvent("Results Per Page", {resultsPerPage : resultsPerPage})

App Insights captures this information all good, however I want to break down this information in Graphically using Azure Logs PieChart. I am trying that, but I…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. option to add exception details in alert mails application insights

there should be an option to send an exception in alert mails in application insights.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Add BGP Community for api.applicationinsights.io

Currently, there's no way to route Application Insights traffic over ExpressRoute without enabling routing for the entire region.

Other services, like Exchange Online and SharePoint Online, have BGP communities set up. There are even BGP communities for SQL, Cosmos DB, and storage. However, one does not exist for Application Insights:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/expressroute/expressroute-routing

There should be a community specifically for Application Insights, especially if we want to make it the ubiquitous tool for monitoring in the Enterprise.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Multi-resource Alerts for AppInsights

For customers that have already created many AppInsight resources having to manually create alerts on each resource is tedious and time consuming. It also doesn't guarantee that the AppInsight Resource Alerts are all configured.

Need a way to enforce alert uniformity across AppInsight resources. regardless of if they are already existing resources or newly created.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add exception details like call stack to Alert emails natofication

How to add exception details in alert mail notification. I only get links to redirect to azure portal.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

15. cloud filtering / preprocessing of data

Currently, you can do data sampling in the cloud to reduce the amount of data ingested/retained.

It would be useful if you could also specify simple filters to remove data at ingestion time.

e.g filter by severityLevel, CustomDimensions.CategoryName, applicationVersion.

We have a number of hard to update clients in the field, that have been poorly configured and are sending too much data.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

16. Allow globally configurable rules for "Successful request" true/false

There's no way to globally configure some HTTP status codes (e.g. 404 or any other user wants to treat as successful) to be "Successful request" = true.
    Yes, you can workaround this using SDK, but when you use e.g. Azure API Management, there's no way to configure this.
    Because of that Failure blade contains a lot of noise that user needs to filter out every time.

Please make this globally configurable.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

17. Live Metrics Stream - Live filter (Grep the live traces)

Can you give me a textbox to type in a bit of text I'm looking for, and the 'Sample Telemetry' flying past is filtered to just show matching items?

This can give me a super quick verification when I deploy a fix. Currently I have to hunt manually for the telemetry that proves the fix (Or wait many minutes until I can find it with a KQL query)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Add functionality to remember filters

Add functionality to remember Sample Telemetry filters in the Live Metrics Stream. My telemetry is junked up with so many "Starting HttpMessageHandler cleanup cycle... Ending HttpMessageHandler cleanup cycle...". Every time I come back to the live stream, I have to re-enter all of the filters just to see useful traces.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Ability to move objects in application map

The application map gives a great overview of the current set up of an application and it's health. Sometimes however the creation of this map fails a little and some elements go on top of communication lines or other elements.

It would be great if we were able to drag the elements in application map around with our mouse to reposition them.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Application insights urls should have short option

Application insights resources should have an option for a short url link so that it can be added to documentation, integrations, etc.

Long urls with ids and big paths are not user friendly.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature

← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base