Azure Monitor-Application Insights

Welcome to the Azure Application Insights UserVoice site. This site is for suggestions and ideas for all aspects of Application Insights such as our SDKs, Web tests, Analytics, etc. We look forward to hearing from you!

The Application Insights team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Manually define tiers in appmap

When tracking many nodes, the appmap autolayout quickly becomes quite messy. A feature to define a tier level or tier name to nodes to add some manual grouping to assist the layout would go a long way.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Metrics & charting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

2. Add support for Appgateway (or other proxies) in appmap

The appmap in application insights is great, but end-to-end tracking skips a step when proxies such as AGW, CDN or FrontDoor are not part of the dependency mapping.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

3. Pin hierarchical view of Application Map to Dashboard

Currently we can only pin the organic view of the App Map to a dashboard. We should also have the ability to pin the hierarchical view.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Auto-refresh Application Maps on Dashboards

Currently, all metric charts on a dashboard have the ability to auto-refresh on a Dashboard, but application maps do not.

We find the app map to be a very useful monitoring across our whole solution, but it's completely useless on a large tv screen if it doesn't auto-refresh.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Auto-refresh Application Maps on Dashboards

Currently, all metric charts on a dashboard have the ability to auto-refresh on a Dashboard, but application maps do not.

We find the app map to be a very useful monitoring across our whole solution, but it's completely useless on a large tv screen if it doesn't auto-refresh.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

6. Add support for changing vertical scale on graphs

Add support for changing vertical scale on graphs

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. pin user flow to dashboard

User flows cannot be pinned to a dashboard. Pin button is disabled. I would very much like to add that to a dashboard.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. performance filter should be like search filter with picker for custom dimensions

The Performance and Failures blades filtering should be like the fancy one from the Search blade. I don't like having to manually enter the custom dimensions and values rather than just picking. More so, I'd like to be able to save the filters (globally) and use on any blade (voted for other feature request). The filters still don't carry into the "View in Analytics" (other bug).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

9. Add performance of the measurements as a result just like availability in the new view.

In the new view I miss the average time/duration of the measurements. In the Old view it was there. Please put this option back so i don't have to switch to the old view to recieve that data.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Have the ability to display metrics associated with requests/dependencies onto the Application map

I am adding some of our own metrics to the requests and dependencies for our application. i.e. Things like num deals booked, KiB processed etc...

It would be very cool to see these on the application map, perhaps floating nearby the associated components/links.

This would probably need to be configurable to avoid information overflow.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

11. Scale Breaks on Y Axis (Or a second Y Axis to display low/high extremes)

A chart with a large volume of data in a specific category can overshadow the lower values in other categories that are still meaningful to vizualise on the chart.

Having the ability to Scale Break (as in PowerBI), or render the lower values on a secondary Y axis would be extremely useful.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. When pinned to Dashboard, allow custom timespan further than 30 days in the past

In Dashboard, normally the timespan of the tiles is defined at dashboard-level, but this can be overridden on a per-tile basis.

However, the "from date" does not behave correctly when it's earlier than 1 month from today, even though the UI is correct.

For example, if today is 26th Feb, and if I set the from date to any date before 27th Jan (e.g. 1st Jan), it will use 27th Jan to perform the query instead.

This makes the custom timespan useless for many use cases, such as "from the 1st of last month to the end of last month".

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Full node name under ApplicationMap

Display the full node name under ApplicationMap graph

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Pin a grid "chart" to dashboard

In the new dashboard Metrics explorer the only chart type that cannot be pinned is a Grid. I had to use the one in Classic Explorer to pin it to my dashboard but it doesn't integrate with the time range settings for the whole dashboard.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Metrics & charting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Support for time granularity selected in Azure Portal Dashboard (via bin_auto?)

When adding / pinning an Application Insights or Log Analytics chart to the dashboard, you can use the global time selector on the Dashboard to adjust both the the time range (e.g. past 1 hour, past 7 days) and the granularity (e.g. auto, 5 minutes, 1 hour, etc)

However, that works only for the time range, but not for the granularity.

The reason is that whenever you write a query to render a timechart, you have to hardcode the bin size in the query, e.g.:

requests | summarize count() by bin(timestamp, 1m)

Given the query above, I could now choose the…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Metrics & charting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Application map sometimes shows all nodes and other times groups them together

It's infuriating when it groups them all together for no reason.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. FrontDoors causing a big drain on Application Insights

I've enabled Front Doors on my Web App with AppInsights enabled and noticed a huge increase in data ingested - possibly due to heartbeat queries from FD service. There should exist an option to discard / sample the same traffic, or deduplicate it somehow? I can't use app insights with azure front doors due to pricing consequences it creates, and I'll probably need to drop this in favor of front doors if this cant be helped

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Add filters for Count & Failure Rate for the Application Map

In application Insight there is an application map feature that highlights the status of interaction between components. It would be great to have a way to filter the data to show only failures where the count is greater than a configurable threshold and a filter where the failure rate is over a certain failure rate. The combination of these two would help in getting to the data that would be address with a highest priority.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Integrate AppInsight/Analytics visualiser/editor inside external WebSite/Sharepoint

Azure App Insight Rest API is great and you already have done some great work on Charts.
    It would be great if you shared it to integrate into external websites so we don't have to turn raw datas into pretty graphics all over again (and ugly).

Basically, I want a webpart where I type my query and get that on my sharepoint site (cf file). Or iframe integration.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Separate 4xx requests from 5xx requests in Live Metrics Stream

Allow for a filter or another graph to track 401's, 403's, and all other 4xx calls separate from 5xx calls so that we know if we are encountering auth issues or exceptions in Live Metrics Stream.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base