Azure Monitor-Application Insights

Welcome to the Azure Application Insights UserVoice site. This site is for suggestions and ideas for all aspects of Application Insights such as our SDKs, Web tests, Analytics, etc. We look forward to hearing from you!

The Application Insights team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. horizontal app map

Application map 'Hierarchy view' could use a 'horizontal' alignment option, to better utilize my horizontal screen

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Metrics & charting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. MaxTransmissionStorageFilesCapacityInMB

Hi!

When migrating from 3.0.0 preview version to 3.0.0, it is advised to update the configuration from .xml to .json and several examples are provided. However, in the documentation there are some parameters that are still not clear how to set. For instance, the section "Channel", that includes among other properties:
    "MaxTransmissionStorageFilesCapacityInMB"
    "Throttling"
    or "MaxTelemetryBufferCapacity"

Is there any chance that examples or more information regarding this is provided in the Application Insights documentation? thanks a lot.

Best regards,
    Tai

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Disable parts of App Insights

I would like the option to block access to certain features of App Insights to our users such as

Application Map
    Smart Detection
    Transaction Search
    Availability
    Failures

I am working on a custom role whereby I only want users to be able to view the results of queries pinned to the dashboard and not query based features of App Insights as above.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Log custom properties of custom exceptions

If we have custom exception with custom properties like this:

public class InvalidStatusCodeException : Exception

{
    public HttpStatusCode ReceivedStatusCode { get; set; }
    public string ApiUrl { get; set; }

public InvalidStatusCodeException(HttpStatusCode receivedStatusCode, string apiUrl)
    {
    ReceivedStatusCode = receivedStatusCode;
    ApiUrl = apiUrl;
    }
    }

these custom properties are not logged to Application Insights if this exception is fired.

One of the ways to log it in app Insight: add custom message, like this:

public InvalidStatusCodeException(HttpStatusCode receivedStatusCode, string apiUrl) : base($"Invalid Status code for request: '{apiUrl}', received code: {receivedStatusCode}")

but I don't want to prepare message on exception level (no way…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Service monitoring and diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. The application insights performance screen should reflect when profiler is turned off

Currently when on the application insights/performance screen, you can try to run a profiler trace even though profiler is turned off. The trace will run for over ten minutes instead of just immediately notifying the user that profiler is turned off. This is relatively easy to troubleshoot, but is bad design and wastes the user's time.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Profiler  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Create more dashboards in the availability testing

Currently, in one RG I have two APPGW which both send data to the same Application Insights (don't want to separate them). In the availability check I setup the checking for public endpoints of one of them but I want to do the same for the public endpoints of the second one, without mixing the two.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Availability Testing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. DevOps Dashboards Integration Allow custom query for Application Insights Chart Widget

Using Azure Application Insights Chart Widget to be able to specify custom query/render custom charts.
    Use case:
    A developer adds custom events and perfomance timings within application. All of those metrics can stored in different tables in AI.
    As a stakeholder (PO, BA) I want to be able to monitor and view the performance data in a shape and form easy to understand for me. I also want to track this on a release by release basis so I can be sure that app performance is always imporving or not degrading as new functionality is introduced.
    I believe that the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Integrations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Allow alert to be created with link to End-to-End Transaction details

Allow the option to create an alert which links to end-to-end transaction details of failed operation.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Service monitoring and diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Ability to configure application map dependency items

I would love to have ability to configure dependency names and create new ones.
    For instance if i have call into APIM it will show as single dependency but usually it would have multiple services under it.

I would love to have ability to configure if urls is https://blabla.com/service1 => Service1, so then in my application app i wish to see Service 1, Service 2 and so on.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Add support for setting name of dashboard widget once added

Currently there's no way to change the name of the AI widget once added to a dashboard. With multiple AI widgets this makes it very very difficult to use propertly.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Visual Studio - Application Insights Search - WPF App

I have a WPF .core app which is instrumented for Insights, but it seems I can't view the insights locally via "Application Insights Search". It seems to know the insights exist in the application, but the Debug Session Telemetry shows 0 events (and the events do make it to azure..)

Since it's not a web application (ASP), I don't get the right click option on the project file to configure Insights..

Is there some other way to configure this so the local events can be viewed locally?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Visual Studio integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. application map draggable elements

make the elements in the application map draggable

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. configure smart detection alerts for individual application insight to go to different people instead of subscription level

Smart detection are sent based on the user roles, they must be the Monitoring Reader and Monitoring Contributor at subscription level. but actually, we need configure the smart detection to send email to the individual application insight role not subscription level role.
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-monitor/app/proactive-email-notification

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Smart Detection  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Add the abilility to adjust the height of the operation table

It would be nice to be able to drag the operation table to adjust the dimensions of it. Our teams use these tables as apart of our metrics visualizations, and instead of having to take multiple screenshots of all the entries in the table, we could increase the height to get all of the entries in one screenshot

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Ability to drag center bar in End-to-End view

The width of the vertical columns in the end-to-end view is currently fixed. It would be great to be able to drag that center bar to increase/decrease the event list section or gantt chart section.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Client side/End to end encryption with customer key

Encrypt application insights on client side with customer encryption key. This is needed for compliance with new EU result of Schrems trial.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Display full application name on Application Map

Currently the application names on the Application Map are abbreviated by an ellipsis in the middle, if they are too long. But unfortunately our application names have their discerning parts just in the middle (by company policy), which is currently not shown.

It would be nice if we could see the full names here.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Support HTTP/2 for URL Ping tests

I created a URL Ping test to hit a URL that only supports HTTP/2, and every time it fails with this error:

"Unable to read data from the transport connection: The connection was closed."

This appears to be due to the fact that the URL Ping only supports HTTP/1.1 and my application does not.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Add filter in Application Map to search apps

Add filter in Application Map to search apps quickly

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 38 39
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base