Azure Monitor-Application Insights

Welcome to the Azure Application Insights UserVoice site. This site is for suggestions and ideas for all aspects of Application Insights such as our SDKs, Web tests, Analytics, etc. We look forward to hearing from you!

The Application Insights team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Ability to set cloud role name with codeless solutions

SychevIgor has requested the ability to set cloud role name with codeless solutions:
    https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/azure-docs/issues/48326

This is something that we've discussed in the past here:
    https://github.com/microsoft/ApplicationInsights-Home/issues/326

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Metrics & charting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. make the urls case insensitive

I have some users hitting my site with Site.html, and others with site.html, and the performance shows these as two different URLs, and two different metrics, when they're really the same thing.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Service monitoring and diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Create an easy way of going back to the search criteria and rerunning the search

Create an easy way of going back to the search criteria and rerunning the search

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Availability metrics save for more days or send to email

Availability metrics send report after 90 days to email for Service level agreement with customer. The data is only saved for90 days.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Daily cap

Data volume trends” in “usage and estimate” for app insight shows data more than daily cap which we set. Could you please help us to get correct information in daily cap.

I got information that, due to scale requirements, the daily cap cannot be strictly enforced by the Application Insights ingestion. Each ingestion front-end calculates the current daily total independently and could allow over-the-cap ingestion if the application is sending telemetry from multiple Azure regions or within high-volume regions and user will be billed only for billing/daily cap not for over-the-cap. Still, over cap daily volume trends miss-guide us. Please…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Usage Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Map item per app service

App services are rolled up into one 'Web' item on the application map and all requests between them covered by a single loopback.

I would love to see each app service individually and more easily track the relationships between them and their various dependencies

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Service monitoring and diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Metrics & charting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow sorting of sample operations by duration

Sample operations (in performance) currently support ordering by relevance or timestamp.
    While reviewing slow operations it will be beneficial to sort the samples according to their execution duration, it is currently impractical to search through 10,000's of samples in a timeframe

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Test on Corporate People

Video Conferencing From Any Devise Any Where

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Retain certain data for longer period than the retaliation policy.

Can we retain data for a period (say for 1 day of data) longer than the retention policy?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Option to expand the sample telemetry window

I would we ideal to expand the Sample telemetry window instead of the small windows it is now. Then you can use it just like the tail function in linux for looking at logfiles. This shouldn't be that difficult to implement, but makes a huge difference for us.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. How to collect Performance Counters for Database Server

I have ASP.NET MVC application on Azure VM which connects to SQL Database server on a different Azure VM.
    Application Insights is configured for the web application at build time and it collects the performance counters of the web server but how to collect performance counters of Database server?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Add Support to have customDimensions in the Logs' "Split By" dropdown

Hi,

I am using Custom Events to track some user activity.

For Example- In our Application every user can set a preference to have certain number of Search results per page. Options being (25,50,75,100). Here our aim is to capture what is the most common Results Per page Number. To capture this I set up a custom event in my JavaScript like -

var resultsPerPage = getResultsPerPage();
    appInsights.trackEvent("Results Per Page", {resultsPerPage : resultsPerPage})

App Insights captures this information all good, however I want to break down this information in Graphically using Azure Logs PieChart. I am trying that, but I…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Explain what enabling app insights on web app does

One can create a web application that would report to AI without ever enabling it in Azure portal: just install appropriate packages, initialize the library with instrumentation key and you are done. You don't even have to run the app in Azure, the data is still going to be sent to AI regardless.
    With that, it is unclear why there is a separate "enable Application insights" button in portal and what it does. There is no documentation linked that explains what exactly happens when it is enabled there and why is there a need to enabled it. It would be…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Provide more detail in the error message when you try to delete an API key unsuccessfully

When a resource lock is in place and you try to delete an API key, you get a generic "Error: Try again" message - it would be nice if the error message could have indicated it was a resource lock that was preventing the API key from being deleted.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. When exporting the arm template the availability tests should be included.

when creating an ARM template for application insight it is very problematic to find any information on how to write the template in such a way that the availability tests are included. The export template does not result in the arm script for this.

after a while i figured out that the export template on resourcegroup level does do this.

however it is very unclear what properties to use in the arm tempalte for this. The microsoft.insights/webtests.Configuration xml is not clearly documented. And it seems some values are not taken from this but from the microsoft.insights/webtests.properties (e.g timeout,enabled,etc).

could this…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Log blocking function at Application insights side

Application Insights uses the Application Insights Instrumentation Key to freely collect logs for different subscriptions and environments.
    At the same time, unnecessary logs may be uploaded if the Application Insights Instrumentation Key is known.

Therefore, it is necessary for Application Insights to have a function to identify the resources to which logs are to be transferred and to block those resources that are not required for monitoring.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Integrations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Pass W3C traceparent as part of Url ping availability tests

The url ping tests have operationids but it doesn't look like that id (or any other correlation id) is passed as a header with the tests. Our team has full end-to-end distributed traces in Application Insights already so having this information would enable us to link the availability test as the parent to our service call traces.

Ideally, pass the correlation information according to
    https://www.w3.org/TR/trace-context/#traceparent-header

This would integrate well with strategic industry standards.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Availability Testing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Azure Function Logs -> Live app metrics should display data for that AF only by default

Currently, if you're looking at an Azure Function's logs and you click on the "live app metrics" link on top you're taken to a (complicated and seemingly impossible to filter) view of ALL currently running app's logs in real time.

I'm proposing that view to be filtered to show only the currently selected AF's logs by default (and to make it easy to switch to see the metrics in all of the current app's AFs or any other AF within the same app).

Making it easy to switch to another app would be a plus.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Metrics & charting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Compact view for end-to-end transaction telemetry items

It would be nice to have a more compact view for the "View all telemetry" mode of the end-to-end transaction view,
    having everything for a telemetry item in one line to fit more items on the screen without scrolling,
    which would be more suitable for big screens.
    (I added a picture as illustration).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 30 31
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base