Azure Monitor-Application Insights

Welcome to the Azure Application Insights UserVoice site. This site is for suggestions and ideas for all aspects of Application Insights such as our SDKs, Web tests, Analytics, etc. We look forward to hearing from you!

The Application Insights team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Azure Dashboard Tiles for Scalar Analytics Queries

For simple KPIs it would be great to be able to pin a simple scalar result to a small (1x1 to 2x2) dashboard tile.

Ideally these could be made visually identical to the built-in KPI tiles from Application Insights for Users, Page Views, etc, including the option to set an Icon & Up/Down trend.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Metrics & charting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow custom metrics to be specified as TimeSpans so they use the same chart display as PageLoad & Dependency Durations.

Some of the built-in AI event types (PageLoad, Dependency) have Duration metrics which are treated as TimeSpans and the charting tools support appropriate scaling when displaying aggregations of those values (e.g. hours, days, etc).

But at present all metrics in CustomEvents are simply defined as doubles without associated metadata, so there is no way to specify when one represents a TimeSpan and should be displayed as such.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Metrics & charting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow custom event data to be configured as charts just like the default metrics.

I am recording data in custom events e.g.; duration an operation execution. I need a chart to see on an average how much an operation takes to execute across users/sessions/geography etc. I see no way to configure a chart based on my custom event data that can give me counts/average etc.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Add ability to see related telemetry for dependency calls

We can see related telemetry for requests and exceptions. Allow us to see this for dependecy calls as well. This would make it much easier to investigate slow or failed dependency calls.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Add "Last 3 Months" to time range selection

Since Application Insights holds data of the last 3 months it would be great to have this selection. It is possible to do with the calendar controls but then you have to update the dates each time you revisit the chart.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Move dashboard widgets to another dashboard

I am currently building multiple AppInsight dashboards and discovered there is no way to move a widget from one dashboard to another. Also, when looking at a AppInsight Chart and clicking the pin, I can't tell which dashboard it will be pinned to.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Preserve Time Range

When browsing around charts on Azure, they all seem to default to 24-hour time range. I almost always want a 30 minute time range because I'm usually looking at charts when I am trying to diagnose an issue. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that Azure remembers this setting and it seems to be stored separately per blade so I find myself spending a lot of time just switching the granularity.

Ideally, Azure would apply some machine learning and magically figure out what I want and adjust the defaults accordingly. More realistically, I would like to be able to setup a site-wide…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. A way to tell App insights that service is server-side only

Our app is server-side only yet we get prompted for PageLoad time graphs and Applicatoin Map client side configurations etc, Many graphs will never show data.

If I can teach App insights that there will never be any client side info it would be great if the UI adapted and did not make it seem like I am not using all app insights features.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Lower granularity when in Full Screen

In the Azure portal allow metric explorer with a lower granularity when making the 'blade' full screen (double clicking the top bar).
    Eg. by default 24 hour view has a 1 hour granularity. By making the blade full screen it will have a 10 minute granularity.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Regional Formatting of dates incorrect - Please fix

I have my regional format set to UK and yet dates are formatted MM/dd/YYYY, should be dd/MM/YYYY

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Metrics & charting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Application Insights: Added Aggregation Type "Median" to Metric Charts

For Metric Charts there are options Sum, Min, Max, Avg.

An additional option Median would be often helpful because it is resistant against outliers.

(The median is the number separating the higher half of values from the lower half.)

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  0 comments  ·  Metrics & charting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Multiple column layouts for charts or display multiple favorites at same time

I would like to have charts span multiple columns. With only being able to display 1 favorite blade at a time, I am adding a lot of charts to a single blade and now finding I can't see them all without vertical scrolling required. Either allow multiple favorites to be visible at the same time or allow blades to have multiple columns to be able to see all the charts at once.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. More granular time ranges

I would like to have more granular time range filtering in the AI user interfaces. A minimum time range of 1 hour is too much for detailed analyses. I would like to see ranges specified in increments of x minutes.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 2 3 4 5 7 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base