Azure Monitor-Application Insights

Welcome to the Azure Application Insights UserVoice site. This site is for suggestions and ideas for all aspects of Application Insights such as our SDKs, Web tests, Analytics, etc. We look forward to hearing from you!

The Application Insights team

How can we improve Application Insights?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add support for viewing raw body requests

It would be great to see raw body request on analytics. Good for monitoring restful api calls (for example json payloads)

189 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

35 comments  ·  SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Variable data retention (longer or shorter than the 90-day default)

Please provide longer retention for raw data. I'm willing to pay for (the additional azure storage)!

141 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are still taking requests for onboarding to the preview of Application Insights variable retention. Some features required to enable this via self-service are taking longer than expected, but we are still working it, and in the meantime will be glad to enable your Application Insights resource to have different retention settings.

The first iteration of this feature will allow setting retention up to 2 years in several increments for each Application Insights resource (e.g. not by data type). The pricing for this will follow the same Azure Monitor log data retention pricing as used by Log Analytics.

We will be able to onboard a limited number of customers manually in the coming weeks. If you’re interested, please send me (dalek@microsoft.com) the instrumentation key(s) of your Application Insights resource(s), and the desired retention duration (30, 60, 120, 180, 270, 365, 550 or 730 days).

Thank you
    Dale Koetke

3. Add support for Intranet application testing (not just via Internet). E.g., via NTLM

App Insights works great for externally-facing applications. Would like the same rich experience for Internal/Intranet applications.

103 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Web tests  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

With the release of Azure Functions 2.0, the previously posted template no longer works.

However, we recognize the need for this request, and are actively scoping and prioritizing the work needed to make it happen.

I am very interested in speaking with anyone who needs this feature to learn more about your scenarios, particularly any information around cost issues. If you would like to help me scope this feature, please reach out: mogrobin@microsoft.com.

Morgan Grobin
    4/26/2019

4. Add support for Redis (via StackExchange.Redis) for dependency monitoring.

We already have great support for SQL and HTTP dependency monitoring and I think adding Redis would be a great addition. A good start would be monitoring through the StackExchange.Redis library.

89 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Service monitoring and diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. server response time needs to ignore signalr

The average response time metric is not very useful if it is counting signalr persistent connections. I can't filter out these requests in the default dashboard graphs and it's a pain to filter it out in every single graph I create. There needs to be a way to ignore certain patterns from being tracked.

63 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  6 comments  ·  SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Enable deploying shared queries via ARM

We have multiple application insights instances (test, acc, prod) and want to configure them as Infrastructure as Code using ARM templates. It seems to be possible to add alerts to the templates, however I'm not able to add our share queries from our insights analytics to an ARM template. To be able to redeploy and keep track of our queries we want be able to add the developed queries in our ARM templates and deploy them as IAC.

53 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add ARM template support for continuous export

We can configure continuous export through PowerShell, but there is no way to do this through ARM templates currently. This would be very helpful.

I use ARM templates to declare the desired state of my resource group. Every time I have to augment ARM templates with PowerShell commands, it gets much harder to deploy and test my deployment pipeline.

45 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Continuous Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Track SignalR traffic

Right now, SignalR and WebSockets messages are invisible to AI. Worse yet, they count as a really long HTTP request. It would be nice to have a separate diagram in the Live Metrics Stream blade and everywhere else where successful or failed request are being displayed.

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Service monitoring and diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your valuable feedback. Could you please share about your scenario which would help us to better understand the scope. We do have other feedback request from customers to ignore few parts with in SignalTraffic . https://feedback.azure.com/forums/357324-application-insights/suggestions/8395065-server-response-time-needs-to-ignore-signalr#{toggle_previous_statuses}.

So want to better understand the two requirements and prioritize it accordingly with our existing feature backlog. Please share additional details on your scenario. Thank you

9. set color legend

Render AI Analytic query chart with custom colors. For example, would like to render a red bar for failed requests and green bar for successful requests.

34 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Add Heat Map Analysis

Add Heat Map Analysis. This is a very useful tool in analysis so its great if we can include this.

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Enable collecting POST parameters by configuration

When an exception happens and the details are captured on Application insight, it would be great if POST parameters were available as well.
    This feature can be turned off for certain pages via configuration r even posting an extra parameter like Ignore Post Parameters.
    This will make sure sensitive application data like login information is not captured.
    This feature can only work when a http POST ends up with a 500 error to assist debugging application, to make sure huge data is not captured and never used.

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

There are natural PII concerns in auto-collecting POST parameters, and it’s something, as Dan mentioned, you can do yourself with telemetry initializer. That said, please keep upvoting so we can see how many folks are impacted by not having a more streamlined way of collecting POST parameters.
    Best, Michael
    -AppInsights Product Management

12. Add IIS logs Application Insights

Allow App Insights to capture the IIS logs from the webservers. This would be very helpful when debugging on prem servers.

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Service monitoring and diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are working with the WAD2AI owners to see if IIS logs can be ingested that way, given that WAD already supports IIS log collection.

Can you please clarify what are you looking to get out of the IIS logs? Most of the information in there is already available from the requests metadata we collect with AI.

Best,
    Michael Milirud
    -AI Product Team

13. Where multiple app services send their telemetry to a single application insights instance, allow configuration of alerts at the app level.

At the moment app insights alerts such a server exceptions do not differentiate which app service threw the exception if there are multiple app services talking to the same instance.

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Alerting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Application Insights in Germany

Are there any plans in making application insights available for Azure Germany regions?

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Daily data cap alerts

Add other users to a mailing list when the daily data cap has reached its maximum limit in App Insights

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Make Smart Detection data available via the App Insights REST API

It would be great if information on issues identified by Proactive Detection was available via the App Insights REST API.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Smart Detection  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Show percentage between the failed requests and total requests for each URL

In the new Failures tool (in Preview), would be useful if you could add the percentage between the failed requests and total requests for each URL

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Metrics & charting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Add ability to clear telemetry in Live Metrics Stream

Currently you cannot clear the telemetry of a Live Metrics Stream.

A common use case is to open Live Metrics Stream and add filters to only display failed requests, dependencies, and exceptions.

Without being able to clear the existing list of telemetry, it is very difficult to use the live stream as a dashboard on a TV or even on your PC to quickly identify problems in production.

If the list was cleared, you would immediately know when an error occurred since the list is on longer empty. Once you've analyzed the issue, you could clear the telemetry again and…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

19. save selected columns in the query url

each time we open our saved queries we need to filter the columns again the to see only the relevant columns we need

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Metrics & charting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. There is a delay of time for Application Insights Log Analytics data to appear in my dashboard

My application will push logs to Appln Insights. When I search for the same log entries it wont appear immediately. It will show up after some delay of 3-5 mins. This issue is a show stopper for me. Please let me know the resolution.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 27 28
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base