How can we improve Application Insights?

Add a shared time range selector for dashboard

I would like to have a time range selector on a dashboard, with the ability to change all time ranges of all the dashboard components

Another idea is to modify a single dashboard component's time range

37 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Danny Shumer shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Gavin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I feel the design is not good, since I would like to control the time range in my query but not globally for all queries in the dashboard, which is not flexible.

At least, for each chart/tile, users should be given the option to obey the global time range set in the dashboard or not.

• Vitaly Gorbenko commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Tz, the shared time range value is part of the JSON definition for the dashboard. Please check the following section:

"metadata": {
        "model": {
        "timeRange": {
        "value": {
        "relative": {
        "duration": 24,
        "timeUnit": 1
        }
        },
        "type": "MsPortalFx.Composition.Configuration.ValueTypes.TimeRange"
        },
        "filterLocale": {
        "value": "en-us"
        },
        "filters": {
        "value": {
        "MsPortalFx_TimeRange": {
        "model": {
        "format": "local",
        "granularity": "auto",
        "relative": "1h"
        },
        "displayCache": {
        "name": "Local Time",
        "value": "Past hour"
        },

• Tz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is implemented now (as of January 2019), and the selected value is persisted in the shared dashboard too: the change of the shared time range can be published, and it is "visible" to others when opening the dashboard.

However, if we export/import the dashboard or deploy it as ARM template the shared time range falls back to the default 1 day. Comparing the JSON files of the dashboard with different published shared time range values shows no difference.

I would like the shared time range value be included in the JSON of the dashboard resource so that the value is preserved in "export/import" and "export/depoy as ARM template" scenarios.

Feedback and Knowledge Base