How can we improve Application Insights?

Make data retention period configurable by data type / event content

For now data retention period is fixed to 90 days and can't be changed.
In reality telemetry events have different values and should be stored accordingly.
For example I'm interested in storing exception data only for a day or two, just to raise alerts. Trace records are needed to diagnose particular behavior\ reproduce a bug, so they should be kept just for the time I need to get this job done.
On the contrary user related events, like purchases, logins, specific actions are very valuable and should be stored for years.
These retention rules are unique to each business, so we need to have reach toolset similar to analytics query to configure them.

12 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Александр Дорофеев shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Александр Дорофеев commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Dale,
    It will be a huge improvement! And sufficient for machine related telemetry like traces, exceptions, dependencies. For custom events I think that more granular retention options are needed, cos, for example, I don't want to store events for Trial customers after their trial is over, or just have dismissed functionality in the App and events for it don't matter to business.
    As an alternative solution there can be a cleanup option provided based on some property values. There is a separate uservoice request for that.

Thank you
    Alex

Feedback and Knowledge Base