How can we improve Application Insights?

Variable data retention (longer or shorter than the 90-day default)

Please provide longer retention for raw data. I'm willing to pay for (the additional azure storage)!

133 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are still taking requests for onboarding to the preview of Application Insights variable retention. Some features required to enable this via self-service are taking longer than expected, but we are still working it, and in the meantime will be glad to enable your Application Insights resource to have different retention settings.

The first iteration of this feature will allow setting retention up to 2 years in several increments for each Application Insights resource (e.g. not by data type). The pricing for this will follow the same Azure Monitor log data retention pricing as used by Log Analytics.

We will be able to onboard a limited number of customers manually in the coming weeks. If you’re interested, please send me (dalek@microsoft.com) the instrumentation key(s) of your Application Insights resource(s), and the desired retention duration (30, 60, 120, 180, 270, 365, 550 or 730 days).

Thank you
Dale Koetke

18 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Clarence commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, may I know when this feature going to be GA? Otherwise, how can I turn this feature on?

• Mihael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello App Insights team,

A fine-grained policy would be very welcome. E.g. some data would be stored for 7 days only, others for 2 month.

• Sabanayagam Jayabalan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

what if we have missed to export application insights data and 90 days has elapsed? What is the process to fetch the data prior to 90 days?

• Clarence commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi App Insights product team,

This feature is definitely needed. May I know if there are plans to extend it for periods longer than 2 years?

• Robert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear App Insights Team,

is there any update on this so far? Maybe a more precise release date?
    Some business decisions are depending on this feature and when it´s eventually gonna be released.

BR Robert

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How fine grain could that data retention be specified? Could we have some data stored for 2 days (e.g. snapshots) and the rest for 30 days?

Is this still planned for the second half of 2018? We need to be able to compare a longer period of metrics. Example: Compare last August metrics to this August metrics

• ValeriaG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agree! We should be able to get that value configurable to comply with privacy regulations

Please can you make the retention policy configurable. I want to reduce the retention only upto 2 days

• Sudarshan K commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To comply with upcoming GDPR regulations, AppInsights should ideally allow user to configure (reduce/increase) data retention for certain types of data. Is this feature in development ?

• Mor Shemesh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have several big customers who use AI for analytics purposes but want to have access to historical data for comparison.
    Using separate storage services would require them to re-write queries/apps they already use today.

Our current solution to this is to use continuous export > aggregation > re-import as custom data source into app insights.

Although this is a good enough solution, it is very hard to scale since this requires technical work from customers (and not turning on a "feature" for example).

• Marco commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My app needs an audit log and AI's traces (or custom events) are perfect for that. The problem is retention limited to 7 days. I need to search audits for months.

My suggestion is to allow to configure retention separately per object type. As an example, I want traces for 360 days, exceptions for 30 days, dependency info for 7 days.

Alternatively, if AI is not the right tool for that, I need a pre-canned solution in Azure allowing me to make free searches, property based searches and long retention.

Feedback and Knowledge Base