How can we improve Application Insights?

Support Code Lens Exception display for all .NET project types

The option to show per method Exception information through CodeLens integration in Visual Studio is currently explicitly restricted so that it only works for ASP.NET project types with direct AI configuration.

It should be made possible to manually enable this VS integration feature for any Visual Studio project type that supports method level CodeLens display.

1 vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks David. I'd missed the previous comment but I can confirm that workaround provided works for me - if I apply it to the primary startup .exe then all projects in the solution get the CodeLens Exception support.

Thanks,
    Steve

• AdminApplication Insights Team (Product Manager, Microsoft Azure) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Steve, here's a work-around that will let you see CodeLens in your C# library.

In the .csproj of the project in a property group, add:

<ApplicationInsightsResourceId>/subscriptions/[subid]/resourceGroups/[rg-name]/providers/microsoft.insights/components/[resource-name]</ApplicationInsightsResourceId>

Once you reload the project, you should see an Application Insights menu in the project right-click menu that has Search, Trends, Choose Telemetry Source, and more. If you see this menu, CodeLens should also start working.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, we're using App Insights through a wrapper library (Generic CSharp Library project) that is consumed (directly or indirectly) by several different launchable project types; Generic CSharp Executables, WPF Application Executables & WCF Services.

Thanks,

Steve

Feedback and Knowledge Base