How can we improve Application Insights?

Support for cross ikey (cross application) queries

Today it is not possible to do cross correlation scenarios between ikeys (across different Application Insights resources). It is important to support this feature in order to build complete business process monitoring and alerting. Without this feature just monitoring a component will not help in enterprise scenarios.

22 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Veerendra Kumar Balla shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Gudmundur Hreidarsson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have multiple services using App Insights, that each collect the same type of events. To name an example, users can sign up both through our website and through our mobile app. Both services send the same "signup" event to AI, but each to its own AI app. As I don't have a way of querying across apps, it's really cumbersome to get an overall picture of signups.

Right now, I only see that I have 2 options:
        (1) Letting all my services use the same AI app. This has the downside of making all requests, perf counters, etc. appear as coming from a single service.
        (2) Creating a "events" app, which I would use from all my services, but keeping independent apps for other telemetry.

A solution, or at least a recommendation, would be highly appreciated. I plan on feeding the events into Power BI, so joining the data at the same point as I move it to Power BI would serve perfectly fine.

Feedback and Knowledge Base