How can we improve Application Insights?

Add support for viewing raw body requests

It would be great to see raw body request on analytics. Good for monitoring restful api calls (for example json payloads)

189 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Pablo shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

35 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Marcelo Ramagem commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Q: Are you using ASP.NET Standard or ASP.NET Core?
    A: Neither - Node.js

Q: Would it help to see just incoming request bodies? Or is it outgoing requests too?
    A: Incoming most important, outgoing just icing on the cake

Q: Would it help to see the response body too or is just the request fine?
    A: Absolutely.. .body too please

Q: Do you only want to see the full body when there's a failure/exception?
    A: Yes, absolutely.

• E.E. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Right now the transaction details aren't very useful when posting data (which is like 99% of our calls from react). We can see the path, but not the parameters being sent. this doesn't help at all when trying to find why a request is taking a long time because I cant see what the parameters were. Querystrings are not an option for us.

• Jason Wisener commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be great to be able to see the json response and request bodies, right now you can't really see the values that are getting sent to the server for an api endpoint call.

• Kari Tuominen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would help cases where you need to know what parameters client has send to API for example if exception occurs on server.

• bkwdesign commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

if I FTP into my App Service (running a Web API 2 stack), I can download the "failed request" XML files (e.g. fr000001.xml) and get a lot of insight (especially if I also grab the freb.xsl which formats the XML into a nice tabbed UI).

I discovered the request headers being used to POST to my api, and can see the JWT bearer token that was used.. but, I don't know what the JSON payload is. That's really important.

I get a lot of useless info about my 500 error, but.. no stack trace or anything really useful.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agreed with request, should be in there already. Essential for insight, now custom code is being written and rewritten over and over again to accomplish this.

• Marcelo Ramagem commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should be a no brainer for app insights in azure functions. Easy way to view history of incoming payload requests seems obvious to me on so many levels.

• Josh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We want to see this in the sub-calls as part of the end to end transaction details. We have API calls that are received on the server and then in turn make sub- API calls to other APIs like MS Graph API and others. We can see the URL request that is made as the sub-call but not the body of the sub-call which would be really helpful.

• Marco commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding my vote to this. If my API generates a 400, I'd like to see what's been sent to it.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How can we troubleshoot failed requests from API Management if we have no ability to see the payload of the failed request?

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base