Application Insights

Welcome to the Azure Application Insights UserVoice site. This site is for suggestions and ideas for all aspects of Application Insights such as our SDKs, Web tests, Analytics, etc. We look forward to hearing from you!

The Application Insights team

How can we improve Application Insights?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Make data accessible via APIs for custom processing

Application Insights sounds cool but I can't imagine having all my data locked up behind a portal without an ability to programmatically access it or at least download it for offline processing. I'm sure the portal is awesome but I'm also sure that there will be project-specific types of insight I need to get out of this data which the portal won't sufficiently support. Making data accessible outside the portal lets you get around that concern while continuing to improve the product.

301 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

41 comments  ·  API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Along with Application Insights reaching its General Availability milestone today (see https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/general-availability-of-azure-application-insights/), I am pleased to announce that the data access REST API is now available to everyone as a Public Preview at https://dev.applicationinsights.io/.

I want to thank the huge number of you who participated in the private preview and provide such valuable feedback!

Please continue to provide your feedback on the API at https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/357324-application-insights/category/161985-api.

Thank you
      Dale

• Support azure worker roles monitoring by Application Insights APM agent

Currently worker roles monitoring by APM is not supported. Please vote if you are using worker roles and want this support

255 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        completed  ·  Anonymous responded

Please refer to the documentation here: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/app-insights-cloudservices/
        See https://github.com/Microsoft/ApplicationInsights-Home/tree/master/Samples/AzureEmailService for a sample cloud service has been instrumented with Application Insights.

We are considering this item as completed and returning your votes back to you.

Please let us know if you have any questions/feedback – the best place to leave comments would be that azure documentation page. If this solution doesn’t work, please feel free to start another user voice item. Thanks!

• Add support for desktop apps to Application Insights

Currently Application Insights only supports Phone, Win Store, and Web/server applications. Please add support for WinForms/Console/WPF (desktop) applications as well.

182 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

While desktop apps are not listed as targeted app types for Application Insights, it’s possible to get instrumentation for desktop apps using Application Insights SDK.

Please refer to this thread for more details: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/26505483/appinsights-for-wpf-application/26641583#26641583

At this point Application Insights team believes this should unblock most of the users who voted for this feature, and we are closing this item and releasing your votes back to you. Please let us know if there is another aspect that blocks using AppInsights for desktop apps.

• 68 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Service monitoring and diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Being a part of Azure eco-system and having a strong partnership with Azure domain experts, we are currently working to improve our app dependencies analysis and leverage tools and expertise of Azure related services. Leveraging this partnership with SQL, we have recently started

1. Incorporating SQL Azure insights and tools into Application Insights, reflecting available active recommendations, such as index, schema and parameterization recommendations at DB level, which may fix a detected issue and improve app performance.

2. Keeping flow context we enable a user who starts navigating in App Insights to continue his analysis in SQL complementary tools such as Query Performance Insights and view top consuming queries, individual query details, and more for a related SQL Azure DB.

If you have feedback or ideas to further refine SQL monitoring capabilities in Application Insights, please create new a new UserVoice suggestion in the “Service monitoring and diagnostics” category…

• Distinguish Applications by a user defined Environment

Right now, Application Insights seems to only distinguish between the Debug and Release version of an application. At my company. we have several "downstream" environments DEV/MAIN/QA/POST that an application might run in before it is deployed to production. In the QA and POST environment, the application will run the Release version of the code.

So, I would like to see a way where I can record the Environment an application is running in. Preferably it would be something in the web.config so the correct value can be set at deployment time.

The dashboard would let me either look at results…

46 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Service monitoring and diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Please add support for Azure Websites performance monitoring with Application Insights

Application Insights doesn't support server performance monitoring in Azure Websites (only Cloud Service and Virtual Machine) It would be nice if the tiles are also available in the new Azure Portal.

42 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Service monitoring and diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Please provide NT Service monitoring

Please provide NT Service monitoring

39 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Service monitoring and diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

While we do not directly support NT service you can absolutely do it yourself. You can model it similar to Worker Role example from this blog post: azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/art..

At current moment we’re not planning to add direct support for NT Services.

If you feel this is something we really need I would encourage you to join our open source community here: github.com/Microsoft/ApplicationInsights-Home

Thank you
                  Victor Mushkatin
                  3/31/2016

• Remove/ ignore events in Application insights

Add an option to remove or ignore events in the diagnostics view of Application Insights

36 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Service monitoring and diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

You should be able to filter the events you are interested in Diagnostics Search UI. Unfortunately can’t add screenshot, but these are the instructions – click on Diagnostic search part on Maine Overview blade, click Filter button (at the top of the Diagnostics search blade), Find “Event name” item in the list of properties on the right, click on Arrow icon next to “Event name” – you should be ale to see the list of events and chose the events you need.

Please take a look at the Properties list – you may find other items you might be interested to filter on.

Marking item as completed.

• Enable to clear data of the resource

Currently if i want to clear the data, I have to delete the resource and create a new one. Please add the clear data function.

33 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Please add ways to trouble shoot the Application Insights Issue: "I don't see my data"

There are several scenarios that make it difficult to trouble shoot data not appearing in Application Insights...please add diagnostics/UI to help in these situations

33 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Service monitoring and diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The most recent troubleshooting guide is here: azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/art..
                        Thank you
                        Victor Mushkatin
                        3/31/2016

• 32 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Continuous Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve added these new PowerShell cmdlets:
                          o Get-AzureRmApplicationInsightsContinuousExport
                          o Set-AzureRmApplicationInsightsContinuousExport
                          o New-AzureRmApplicationInsightsContinuousExport
                          o Remove-AzureRmApplicationInsightsContinuousExport

Download and install:
                          powershellgallery.com/packages/AzureRM/5.0.0
                          powershellgallery.com/packages/Azure/5.0.0

Thanks
                          Dale

• 32 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Support OWIN middleware in Application Insights

As described here

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/30485385/how-to-link-exceptions-to-requests-in-application-insights-on-azure

AI does not support the OWIN middle ware stack - WebAPI is recommended to use this stack therefore it is difficult to instrument out of the box.

29 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  3 comments  ·  SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Alerting on dependency monitoring

Looking for is the ability to create alerts for off-box dependencies. For each explicate dependency (Web Service, SQL Database, Azure Storage, etc.):
                              - Alert on % of requests failed (flexible on window). Success based on:
                              - HTTP response (for web services)
                              - Connection Established/Failed
                              - Alert on average transaction time exceeding a threshold
                              - Alert on requests/sec exceeding a threshold

29 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Alerting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Allow applications to be renamed by no longer tieing the monitoring configuration to the application name

As an Application Insights user I want to be able to rename my applications in Application Insights without having to reconfigure my monitoring.

When using the Microsoft Monitoring Agent, the application name is either the Virtual Site/Virtual Application, or an override specified when configuring the MMA. If I want to rename my application, I would have to reconfigure MMA, and I would loose all existing telemetry.

28 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I just received news from Frank Chen, the engineer who added this functionality, that the ability to rename an Application Insights Resource is now LIVE in production!

To access this, from the Overview page for your resource, click on “… More” then on “—> Rename”.

Thanks!
                                  Dale

• Enable higher rate limits for the data access REST API

The current rate limits per API key (1500 per day) make it difficult to build many solutions such as 24x7 dashboards. Please find a way to offer higher limits.

27 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

From https://dev.applicationinsights.io/documentation/Authorization/Rate-limits:

Limits when using API key authentication: When authenticating with API keys, throttling is applied per API key, and each Application Insights app can have to 10 API keys. An API key is allowed to make up to 200 requests per 30 seconds across all API paths (/metrics, /events and /query). In addition, there is a daily per-key quota cap of of 86,400 requests per day (UTC day).

Enjoy!
                                    -Dale

• Filter out IP address range in Application Insights

Add the ability to exclude an IP range for request origins in Application Insights. We would like to exclude traffic coming from within our company and collect stats only from our customers.

27 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Service monitoring and diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Ability to disable weekly digest

Please let me disable the Weekly Digest. My subscription has many many people on it, and they have complained about getting emails about services that they don't care about.

26 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Alerting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Enable Application Insights performance counters for App Services

Right now if my ASP.NET website is hosted as an App Service I have no option of getting any performance counter data even if the Application Insights extension is installed. This is probably because of the shared environment of App Services, but I think it would be really great if CPU percentage, Memory, and other performance counters were available from App Services with the Application Insights Extension installed.

26 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Service monitoring and diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Support Enterprise Library Logging for Application Insights Diagnostics Logging

Application Insights currently has adapter support for Log4Net, NLog, and TraceListener logging. Please support Enterprise Library Logging!

25 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 6
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base