Application Insights

Welcome to the Azure Application Insights UserVoice site. This site is for suggestions and ideas for all aspects of Application Insights such as our SDKs, Web tests, Analytics, etc. We look forward to hearing from you!

The Application Insights team

How can we improve Application Insights?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Error message of delete failure should be more specific.

Even just the App Insights resource is locked to prevent to be deleted, we can't determine it since the error message is as below.

"Could not deleted
    Could not delete application"

The message should be more specific like as other resources such as Web Apps.

10 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Remove limitation for 250 telemetry entries in VS local debug session

Visual Studio developer analytics tooling has a limitation for showing only latest 250 telemetry entries in local debug session. It becomes really painful to diagnose the issues if App produces lots of telemetry, cos you need to figure out how to configure telemetry sampling\initializes to catch the issues in local debug session. Sending debug telemetry to AppInsights in Azure is not always an option. Often there are lags between sending the telemetry and time it appears in AppInsights .
      It would be great if AppInsights team removes this limitation in VS tooling.

7 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Visual Studio integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Handle TSQL commands in the dependency blade better

In the command field in the dependency blade, long TSQL commands get truncated and remove the most important part of the statement, the FROM and WHERE clauses. Without this, the entire blade is almost useless.

It would be better to show the entire statement, or even truncate the start of the statement, rather than the end.

9 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Service monitoring and diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Enable ARM configuration of custom schema (open schema)

We create an AI resource on customers behalf, but haven’t found a way to create a data source in the resource

5 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Allow Application Insights to continuous export to Event Hubs

Allow Application Insights to continuous export to Event Hubs for 3rd Party SIEM integration. This follows other patterns like Azure Monitor using export logging to Event Hubs to be consumed by a 3rd party SIEM, like Splunk.

16 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Continuous Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for this suggestion. I certainly understand how this would streamline many scenarios for exporting data from Application Insights, but at this point this work remains down the backlog.

-Dale

• Enable ARM support for API Access Keys

I would like to deploy an entire solution based on App Insights which data is presented via a Web App:
              https://github.com/CatalystCode/bot-fmk-dashboard

The web app I'm deploying will use the api of app insights to display insights and aggregated data in the form of graphs and metrics.

For this to work, the web app needs to have access the app insights api and that can only be done via access keys.

I want to enable customers to deploy the application with "one click arm deployment".

Currently, after deployment, users have to create a key, copy app id and api key, open…

8 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Add a priority level for all traced events

There should be a priority level that indicates the relative priority of the data.
                The priority level of a tracked item should be possible to set on an item by item basis, or by more general declarative rules.

High priority data should be retained for longer time and care should be taken to make sure no high priority data is lost anywhere.

Example of use case:
                You might want to mark events when a user change/request a new password longer than a metric of time taken for a storage request.

6 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Having different retention policies for different telemetry items is a very interesting feature request. Enabling this is fundamentally non-trivial, so please keep upvoting and including the use cases where this is necessary. Please keep in mind that you can today ensure retention longer than 90d by using continuous export to archive subsets of the telemetry to external storages/data warehouses of your choice.
                  Best, Michael
                  -AppInsights Product Management

• Longer data retention

Please provide longer retention for raw data. I'm willing to pay for (the additional azure storage)!

28 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is still on the team’s backlog, but there are other higher priority items such as cross-resource queries and enabling Log Analytics to run on the same Analytics backend and query-language that have needed resources first.

Thank you for your patience! We do understand how important this is for our customers!

Dale

• Enable migration of current apps from US data centers to EU datacenters [Europe]

Adding a tracking item specifically for enabling migration of existing applications to EU datacenters. (Forking from the suggestion to store data in the EU - which is now completed - see https://feedback.azure.com/forums/357324-application-insights/suggestions/9508143.)

14 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Embeddables/Web widgets

I would love to be able to take different metrics/data, and show them with live data on my own company website or dashboard.

We could show the overall performance of our company apps on our custom dashboard.
                      It could be an easy way for us to give customers various data about our apps on their environment.

And tonnes of more uses.

9 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Allow pinned Analytics Dashboard Charts to click through to event search view.

One of the great features of Application Insights is the ability to drill down into the data by clicking through the metrics charts to create new filtered search blades.

Many useful built in portal tiles have been removed recently (e.g. 'Top Crashes' showing Impacted User Count); Analytics allows us to recreate the same view on a dashboard in a more general way but the pinned chart does not have the same "drill down" abilities to the data that the old built in tiles had.

It would be great if there was an option to allow clicking through the pinned charts…

5 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for the great suggestion! The team is currently heads down with a lot of other work, but we have a set of dashboarding improvements in mind in the next few months. We’ll update the status to “in progress” once we get going on these.

• Support a single unified solution for n-Tier Windows Desktop & Server Applications

Application Insights has become significantly less useful since the decision to fragment the telemetry experience by pointing rich client applications at HockeyApp and restricting AI to ASP.NET scenarios.

For Enterprise Development Scenarios we would like to be able to use a single supported solution that works consistently across n-Tier applications built using the full range of currently supported Microsoft Platforms (.NET & Win32 Desktop Applications, Windows Services, WCF Services).

In practise this is still just about possible by using the low level AI SDK, but increasingly Windows Desktop apps are being locked out of new features e.g. the Visual Studio…

7 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Service monitoring and diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for raising this issue. Addressing this is a long-term problem that should be addressed. While this will not be solved in the near future, improving this situation is something under discussion. I will keep this suggestion updated with any progress.

Regards,
                            Dale

• Get status monitor for other platforms (Java based web servers, BDD servers, Linux or Windows)

Status monitor gather a lot of useful info, it would be nice getting a status monitor for other web servers (Tomacat, Apache), hooking into Java SDK too, and compatible with Windows and Linux.

Also, status monitor for other types of servers like SQL Server or Oracle, or non web based app servers would be usefull to understand system behaviors for end to end analysis.

Moreover, installing an agent while system is already in production is a change easy to test and apply, whereas asking for a new release including custom telemetry can take time (depending on continous deployment efficiency).

6 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Service monitoring and diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Ability to export all the data of currently selected event to CSV / JSON

When you've selected a particular event, all of it's data is show in the detail tab. Provide an ability to quickly save this as CSV / JSON from the portal for reference.

10 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Service monitoring and diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Bring Application Insights to Azure Stack

APM-tools are crucial in our organisation. An on-prem solution for this is important for organisations that aren't allowed to store data outside on-prem datacenter.

Would be a shame to be forced to use other on-prem software like appdynamics.

68 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Application Insights: Added Aggregation Type "Median" to Metric Charts

For Metric Charts there are options Sum, Min, Max, Avg.

An additional option Median would be often helpful because it is resistant against outliers.

(The median is the number separating the higher half of values from the lower half.)

9 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Metrics & charting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We recently shipped a public preview of the new Interactive Performance Investigation experience which allows filtering out the outliers for given percentile. To try it out, on the Application Insights resource, select “Previews” tab on the Application Insights resource and opt-in to preview of this feature. Please leave feedback for new functionality. In the meantime, I am resetting the status of this request to “under review”. We will update it again once we have an ETA for building generic support of percentiles to generic metrics explorer charts.

• Support Map (Earth Map) for visualizing information

It is great to see those City, Country/Region Properties ;-) I love it.

While, if there is a Map view, then I can have graph like:
                                    1. Number of requests per City (e.g. use bigger circle for higher number)
                                    2. Number of unique user per Country
                                    3. Number of IE 11 user per locale.

6 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Usage Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Enable collecting POST parameters by configuration

When an exception happens and the details are captured on Application insight, it would be great if POST parameters were available as well.
                                      This feature can be turned off for certain pages via configuration r even posting an extra parameter like Ignore Post Parameters.
                                      This will make sure sensitive application data like login information is not captured.
                                      This feature can only work when a http POST ends up with a 500 error to assist debugging application, to make sure huge data is not captured and never used.

14 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

There are natural PII concerns in auto-collecting POST parameters, and it’s something, as Dan mentioned, you can do yourself with telemetry initializer. That said, please keep upvoting so we can see how many folks are impacted by not having a more streamlined way of collecting POST parameters.
                                        Best, Michael
                                        -AppInsights Product Management

• Add IIS logs Application Insights

Allow App Insights to capture the IIS logs from the webservers. This would be very helpful when debugging on prem servers.

11 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

We are working with the WAD2AI owners to see if IIS logs can be ingested that way, given that WAD already supports IIS log collection.

Can you please clarify what are you looking to get out of the IIS logs? Most of the information in there is already available from the requests metadata we collect with AI.

Best,
                                          Michael Milirud
                                          -AI Product Team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base