Azure Monitor-Application Insights

Welcome to the Azure Application Insights UserVoice site. This site is for suggestions and ideas for all aspects of Application Insights such as our SDKs, Web tests, Analytics, etc. We look forward to hearing from you!

The Application Insights team

How can we improve Application Insights?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Application Insightsにおける可用性テストについて

現在、可用性テストに設定できるアラートは「異常時」「復旧時」を
    トリガーとしていますがそれぞれ別にアラートの編集が出来るべきと考えております。

例えば、異常時をトリガーに自動再起動のRunbookを実行させるという仕組みを入れたとすると
    復旧時にも自動再起動が実行されることになり、無駄な再起動、無駄な通知が発生することになります。

異常時には異常時のアラート編集を復旧時には復旧時のアラート編集を、それぞれ設定可能にして頂くと助かります。

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Application Insights service tags for NSGs

Azure Monitor has a service tag that can be applied to an NSG - does the Application Insights webtest ips fall into this range? If not, can you add those? Its tedious updating IP list every time.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Ability to hide app/component in Application Map

All our services call an external logging service, this makes a lot of not-so-usefull links and makes the graph hard to consult, ability to hide this component and the links to it would clean up the graph

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

4. Application Availability Dashboard

Ability to create an Application Availability Dashboard which can be split by custom fields such as Business Portfolio, Business Application, Application Component and provide an organisation wide view of the health of all applications hosted in the cloud

- Availability % Last 1 hour, Last 24 Hours, Last 7 Days, Last 30 Days by Application service within portfolio
    - State of Nation - Snapshot of current Availability across estate by application within portfolio

The applications may not all be hosted in Azure

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

5. Application Insights - All resources that are reporting to space

It will be very handy if we can see all the resources that are reporting to AI space in one place.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valuable feedback. It would be great you could elaborate on the scenario you are trying to achieve. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

6. DBMS name to be configured in the Application Insights Configuration

DBMS: The connect string is configured in the portal.azure.net in the Application Insights, that gives me a unique id for me to copy and paste in scm.azurewebsites.net . There by I get that one word string to be used in @ scm.azurewebsites.net for me to connect to DBMS which is a unique connection string encrypted that is only accessible from azurewebsites.net and my development environment by using SID and Application ID data web application, It is just like InstrumentionID, Application Key ID etc.,

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your valuable feedback, could you please help provide additional details about the scenario you are trying to achieve so we better understand the requirement and this would also help the user community to upvote & comment on. This also allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

7. deep link from Live Metrics Stream detail item into Analytics query or Failures

It would be great to have deep linking on the Live Metrics Stream page. When you click on one of the items in the "Sample Telemetry" list it shows a summary detail of the selected item. This is typically not enough to start a triage session of the issue.
    It would be very helpful if you could deep link directly into an analytics query or Failures with the selected item as the starting point for the triage session.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

8. Simplify configuration of AppInsights in government cloud

When using AppInsights in the public cloud environment, I hardly need to configure anything in my application beyond the instrumentation key. However, when my AppInsights instance is deployed in Azure Government Cloud (e.g. Fairfax / Azure US Government envirionment) I need to manually configure URLs to up to 3 endpoints, according to this page:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-government/documentation-government-services-monitoringandmanagement#application-insights

It would be much more convenient if I could simply configure "Environment = AzureUSGovernment" instead of needing to know URLs to 3 endpoints and how to configure them in every relevant language/platform.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. create Status badge, to add at wiki documentations

create Status badge, to add at wiki documentations or all status of applications.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Allow Instrumentation Key Regeneration

In order to be able to recover from an exposure through the JS SDK, it would be necessary to be able to regenerate the instrumentation key

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Allow me to rename the resources shown in the Application Map

It would be great if I could customize the Application Map resources and name them based on business context labels... not the resource type, but the resource name

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. The time range filter enhancement

In "Application map". The time range filter needs to have a paging for date ranges.

Currently i need to set the 01/01/2019 9:00AM - 01/01/2019 10:00AM click Apply. then to see the next hour or previous hour, i need to reenter these datetime. Instead having a paging buttons would be a better user experience.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

13. Enable configuration of colors in the application map

People with a red-green colour deficiency cannot see the failure rate in Application Map. Configurable colours/ or a predefined another color set would be very helpful.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Get the InstrumentationKey currently in ApplicationInsights.config from web.config or Portal App Settings

Full App Insights functionality depends on the InstrumentationKey being specified in a file called ApplicationInsights.config deployed to the root of the application. On deployment, it's difficult to transform the app insights config file with the application insights instrumentation key used by the application.

I suggest that Application Insights, instead of pulling the instrumentation key from the ApplicationInsights.config file, get the instrumentation key from the portal application settings, from the APPINSIGHTS_INSTRUMENTATIONKEY, for example.

This would avoid Release Engineers from having to manually edit the ApplicationInsights.config file on every release to an environment. If they neglect to do this, one could end…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Bug: Setting XDT_MicrosoftApplicationInsights_Mode = recommended produces bad response for node.js app

When adding App Insights to a existing WebApps it comes preconfigured with App Settings XDT_MicrosoftApplicationInsights_Mode = recommended

This causes the following strange behavior. Consider this simple node.js app:

```
    const http = require('http');

const server = http.createServer(function(req, res) {
    if (req.url.indexOf('good') >= 0) {
    res.setHeader('Content-Type', 'application/json');
    } else {
    res.writeHead(200, { 'Content-Type': 'application/json' });
    }
    res.end('{}');
    });

console.log(`Listening at port ${process.env.PORT}...`);
    server.listen(process.env.PORT);
    ```

basically what it does is setting ContentTypeo to json and returning `{}`. Two different ways of doing so (the route /good sets headers and sends them with the content, any other route writes the response headers and…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. When looking at failures in AppInsight, how can I see what went wrong in each case?

When looking at failures in AppInsights, how can I see what went wrong in each case?
    Right now, all I can see is that "something" went wrong.
    It does not help me at all.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Include Date Range in Application Insights URLs - Suitable for Linking in Post Mortem Documents

When an issue impacts our services and disrupts customers, I want to be able to find related information in Application Insights, and then create links to that data in post mortem documents to direct other interested parties to precisely filtered resources related to the incident.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Add a clone button to quickly create a copy for another environment like QA, Staging or PROD

Hi,

We created an App Insights instance in development (DEV) we would like to instantiate also for other environments like QA, Staging and Production. Currently we export the PowerShell and ARM Template but that doesn't work (ticket has been created as the export is syntactically incorrect and action groups are missing) and is also cumbersome. It would be such a great user experience to just to hit clone, enter some parameters, like a new name, resource group etc, and be done with it. It would be a huge productivity boost.

Thanks!

Jan Brunia
    Virence Health (Former GE Healthcare)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. filter app map based on tag or environment

App Map as well as metrics can get cluttered with dev/test and even local machine data. While you could use different app insights keys, it would also be helpful to easily tag an environment and then easily filter out an environment on app map and other visualizations

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base