Application Insights

Welcome to the Azure Application Insights UserVoice site. This site is for suggestions and ideas for all aspects of Application Insights such as our SDKs, Web tests, Analytics, etc. We look forward to hearing from you!

The Application Insights team

How can we improve Application Insights?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. I found Time Series Insight reference data API page has 404 error

404 - Page not found
    Hmm, we couldn't find this link, but here are some related search results that may be helpful.t reference data API page cannot browse.

The url is "https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/time-series-insights/time-series-insights-reference-reference-data-api"

1 vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • export application map using REST API

Export as PNG/SVG the application MAP using REST API

1 vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Add support for programmatic cohort creation (e.g. via PowerShell)

I would like to create a release pipeline which creates and configures a new AppInsights resource. Anyhow, I cannot find any option to do the AppInsights configuration. Example: Cohort creation. I cannot find how this can be done automatically via a release pipeline.

1 vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Better support for containerized / Kubernetes environment (sidecar)

Run application insights as a sidecar that can be deployed alongside app that has logs directed to it. This aligns more closely with how other logging aggregators perform in a containerized / Kubernetes environment.

This would alleviate burden of configuring app insights for multiple microservices (one time setup), provide consistency, and would make app insights even more available to every kind of container you are running as it is much more generic.

i don't know if the Kubernetes API gives this ability but i wonder if app insights could register itself as an interceptor and apply metadata to correlate telemetry…

1 vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Incorrect response on API call Microsoft.Insights/components when subscription do not contain any application insights components

If calling the api endpoint for listing all Application insights components in a subscription and there is none, the returned json is [] (an empty array)

GET https://management.azure.com/subscriptions/{subscriptionId}/providers/Microsoft.Insights/components?api-version=2015-05-01

This will not be deserializeable by the client since it expects an object (not an array) and will thus throw an exception.

Using the Management c# nuget package (Microsoft.Azure.Management.ApplicationInsights v 0.2.0-preview) will show this by throwing the exception below

Newtonsoft.Json.JsonSerializationException: Cannot deserialize the current JSON array (e.g. [1,2,3]) into type 'Microsoft.Azure.Management.ApplicationInsights.Management.Models.Page`1[Microsoft.Azure.Management.ApplicationInsights.Management.Models.ApplicationInsightsComponent]' because the type requires a JSON object (e.g. {"name":"value"}) to deserialize correctly.
            To fix this error either change the JSON to…

1 vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Bring back the HockeyApp Bridge as long as Visual Studio App Center does not support all Platforms

The HockeyApp can be used from windows desktop applications which is what some people still do. While Visual Studio App Center does not support any Desktop Application type.

Can we get back the HockyApp Bridge untill AppCenter is usable for our purpose?

1 vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Data Purger role should respect Azure role-based access control (RBAC)

We have an AD Group which has been granted Data Purger role through the resource group containing all of our development AI resources.

However, it seems like the Purge API does not respect this. Instead, we would need to set explicit permissions for each user on each of the AI resources which is not an option in the management perspective.

3 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Make available REST APIs to create and fetch the API Key for Application Insights.

Currently API Key needs to be created either from the portal or there is a powershell command available for it. However no REST API exists for same. As part of Azure REST support for Web Framework I think and strongly believe, support for such crucial services must be added to the REST.

Thank You.

3 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Please show the instance id

In live stream, you only show the name of the instance, please all the process is with the id of the instance please show it in the columns options

1 vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Support exception.Data.Add()

The Exception class allows us to add custom data using exception.Data.Add("label", "value"). It would be useful if this data could show up in Application Insights.

Using telemetry.TrackException() we can report custom data in a very similar way as a Dictionary<string,string>, so hopefully it wouldn't be much work to support exception.Data.Add().

The advantage would be that the custom data would be supported for exceptions that are caught and rethrown, as well as those using telemetary.TrackException().

3 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Enable webhook callback on Exceptions

Currently work item creation is only limited to GitHub and VSTS, well we can't switch our SCM and Project Management just to use Ai.

If you enable a webhook, we can write custom hook to create work items and track them on our own.

2 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Summary of chosen statistics at end of period

Like the summary that already goes out but one that can be customized. I would like to get a summary of all the exceptions that occurred in the past week kind of deal.

1 vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• OpenAPI or Swagger Specification

Please publish OpenAPI or Swagger Specification so it is easy to generate client library.

2 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Implement support for the standard Azure RM metrics interface with Get-AzureRmMetric

We're implementing a monitoring system for our Azure infrastructure and need to be able to query metrics for resources via PowerShell. We're currently able to use Get-AzureRmMetricDefinition and Get-AzureRmMetric to query metrics for other resources on a per-resource basis, but Application Insights doesn't support this (I would think) standard Azure RM interface. Please add support for Azure RM's Metrics infrastructure to query all the metrics otherwise available in Application Insights.

1 vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Allow Application Insights Rest Api to return all data, even if the data = 0

Currently Application Insights Rest Api doesn't return data that has a sum of 0, which makes generating graphs from the data incorrect and difficult.

1 vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• App Insights API allow for customEvent name in $select query

I'm trying out the Azure Application Insights REST API GET /events query through the (https://dev.applicationinsights.io/apiexplorer/events) and I can get a full query working fine and works with most $select parameters like 'user/id' but whenever I try 'customEvent/name' it brings back a null value for the item when I know there is a value whenever I get the full query with no $select parameter. Is there another way to grab this value through the select param? I'm using the select param in order to filter down the number of columns brought back that I don't need.

Here is an…

3 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• How to perform queries using the Azure API format: user authentication

I want to get json data as explain in rest api doc https://dev.applicationinsights.io/documentation/overview

customEvents | where customDimensions.teamId == '8bcb0466-8227-4de4-b001-b70381b9cd04'

As the rest api have limit of 15 call per min and 1500 per day as doc https://dev.applicationinsights.io/documentation/Authorization/Rate-limits says to use Azure API and Azure Active Directory but there is no example available for that.

I want to do it in node js but didn't find any sdk for the same.

For AD authentication I used assport-azure-ad library.
                                    node.js azure active-directory ms-application-insights

1 vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Create REST api for custom tracking i.e. trackEvent, trackView

Create a REST api which will allow tracking methods to be called via a REST api.

E.g POST methods for creating custom events https://dev.applicationinsights.io/api/trackevent

5 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Implement push-style read API for Application Insights

Implement push-style read API for Application Insights.

API user could define a filter on Application Insights Events and/or Metrics, and then get data pushed into storage queue(s) / event hub(s).

2 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• String comparison within JSON objects

I am logging entire JSON objects and I would like to query the API based on attributes of these objects. For instance I am logging request headers to the database and when I query the API I want to query something like:

traces | extend properties = customDimensions.req_headers
                                          | where properties.["connection"] == "keep-alive"
                                          | project timestamp, properties

Right now I am getting 0 results with that query. It is possible to click a small "+" button next to my "connection" field of the JSON object which adds exactly the line
                                          | where properties.["connection"] == "keep-alive"
                                          to my query so I…

4 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base