Application Insights

Welcome to the Azure Application Insights UserVoice site. This site is for suggestions and ideas for all aspects of Application Insights such as our SDKs, Web tests, Analytics, etc. We look forward to hearing from you!

The Application Insights team

How can we improve Application Insights?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add back the ability to View all Telemetry for this single operation from within End-to-End view

End-to-End view gives ALOT of data. If I select a single operation in the long list of things a user did in their session, I want the "Related Items" pane on the left to allow me to see all telemetry items FOR THIS SINGLE OPERATION. I can see whole session and root operation. I had to disable End-To-End to restore this functionality.

2 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Provide more details when exception is thrown by App Insights SDK

When I tried to track exceptions thrown by WCF services using telemetry.TrackException of the Microsoft.ApplicationInsights library then the exception was tracked but a exception was also thrown for System.ArgumentException: 'Value does not fall within the expected range.' The stack trace showed the following:

at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
      at System.Web.Hosting.IIS7WorkerRequest.GetServerVariableInternal(String name)

The exception did not mention which argument and what value was affected. So its very hard to find the root cause of the issue and arrive at a solution. Screenshot of the code and exception has been attached

2 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Make available REST APIs to create and fetch the API Key for Application Insights.

Currently API Key needs to be created either from the portal or there is a powershell command available for it. However no REST API exists for same. As part of Azure REST support for Web Framework I think and strongly believe, support for such crucial services must be added to the REST.

Thank You.

2 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • More Visibility Into Node.js

I would like more visibility into each node exe process on AS and ASEs, i.e. a visualization that shows how requests are being routed and delegated across indivifual node.exe instances, and a way to see visualization of cpu and memory consumption history for each process. I don’t have any real way of verifying that each node.exe instance is working as expected.

2 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Service monitoring and diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Export user flow graph as png/jpg/pdf

There should be an option to export the user flow graph to an image or a PDF, so it can be shared with colleagues who don't have and need not have Azure access.

2 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Usage Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Stop forcing me to give feedback - I have work to do

I am in the middle to trying to to work - and the Azure portal decides I need to provide feedback - no way to opt out - just provide feedback - or this drop down will not go away. It sucks - I am trying to do work - I will provide feedback when I am not in the middle of something .

1 vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Add Release annotations to Live Stream and Metrics, not just Metrics Explorer!

Annotations would be very valuable on Live Stream and the new Metrics(preview) area. My hope this would also push to the dashboards created from these as well.

2 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Metrics & charting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • 1 vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Service monitoring and diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Enable to jump to request from the sample telemetry

If you are looking at the live metric and see a request which you are interested in looking into, this should allow you to jump to the information of that request

1 vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Would like the ability to display dates in clients time zone in smart detections.

Currently smart detection shows dates in UTC. We would like the ability to set the time zone for display purposes only.. or use timezone based on the client browsers time zone

1 vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Smart Detection  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Make it possible to make a link to a specifc application insights log entry

We are often in the situation where we need others to have a look at a log entry in application insights. Currently, we have to get that person over to out screen to have them look at it, but it is extremely cumbersome.

It would be much better if we could have a link to the shown event and just pass the link around.

1 vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Usage Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • 1 vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't allow Microsoft.ApplicationInsights.NLogTarget to be installed on .NET 4.0

`Microsoft.ApplicationInsights.NLogTarget` requires `Microsoft.ApplicationInsights`, but when I add the NuGet package `Microsoft.ApplicationInsights.NLogTarget` on a project that targets .NET 4.0, it installs fine, but doesn't install `Microsoft.ApplicationInsights`. Trying to manually add `Microsoft.ApplicationInsights` results in an error since it requires .NET 4.5. I think `Microsoft.ApplicationInsights.NLogTarget` needs to block installation on .NET 4.0 unless there is something I'm totally missing.

Also, if there is a better place to file bugs, please advise.

1 vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Integrations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • How do I remove ApplicationInsights for a specific environment from Azure Portal ?

What is the way to deactivate App Insights for our production environment ? We could remove AppInsights nuget packages from our app, but that would prevent us from using it when deployed in our test / staging environment. However, we do not want to use it anymore on production environment (due to too many "surprise monthly price" bad news).

How can we do that ?

1 vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Export past events in same format as continuous export

After I turn on continuous export I would like to do a one time pull of event data that occurred before continuous export was enabled. This feature would export the data in the same format provided by continuous export to make it easy to ingest into a downstream reporting system.

2 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Continuous Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Bug in sending events based on XMLHttpRequest.prototype.send

In Sender.ts, private _xhrSender(payload: string[], isAsync: boolean) method:

The line var xhr = new XMLHttpRequest(); relies on an existing xhr object may be overriden in some properties.

For instance, if I override XMLHttpRequest.prototype.send(), I could break the sending flow of events.

I saw this happen in JIRA (Atalassian) with appInsights.
                                  This is a functionality issue as well as a security issue.

The appInsights JS code should obtain the original send() code or save the prototype.send at the start of the code (to at list avoid changes during runtime)

1 vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Do not deprecate weekly Application Insights Digest Emails

Please do not deprecate the weekly Application Insights digest emails. They provide exactly the information I want and need without the added effort of having to setup a custom reporting option. It just seems silly to take this feature away and force your customers to setup a programmatic "custom" reporting option using Microsoft Flow or Logics Apps with an Azure Function when you already provide a very reasonable automatic weekly digest email option.

1 vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Enable webhook callback on Exceptions

Currently work item creation is only limited to GitHub and VSTS, well we can't switch our SCM and Project Management just to use Ai.

If you enable a webhook, we can write custom hook to create work items and track them on our own.

2 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Add convenience support for aggregating metrics

Can the sample code here be supported and merged into the SDK? https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/application-insights/app-insights-api-custom-events-metrics#aggregating-metrics

I like how natural and convenient the Requests and Exceptions and etc. integration is (for ASP.NET) but metrics is less convenient at the moment.

1 vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Add outbound ports to app insights.

App services have an insanely low number of available outbound ports (~160). Past that things start to slow down and time out. Yet there is little to no information on the port usage. This would be invaluable for troubleshooting connection timeouts, keep-alive strategies, etc.

1 vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base