Application Insights

Welcome to the Azure Application Insights UserVoice site. This site is for suggestions and ideas for all aspects of Application Insights such as our SDKs, Web tests, Analytics, etc. We look forward to hearing from you!

The Application Insights team

How can we improve Application Insights?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. application Insight Server monitering support New PHP Framework

PHP Framework like lalavel, CakePHP, etc.
    can export Server side statuses to Application Insights

1 vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Allow Application Insights Rest Api to return all data, even if the data = 0

Currently Application Insights Rest Api doesn't return data that has a sum of 0, which makes generating graphs from the data incorrect and difficult.

1 vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • IIS LogParser view in appinsight

Recently I have started using AppInsight and I found this to be very good monitoring tool as compared to appdynamics. I'm not sure whether this feature is in place. I would like to see Metrics view in AppInsight with options to view tabular details for the http request. Similar to IIS Log parsers. This will help analyse quickly which one is failing , pass, redirected etc. Overall search filter with trace, request looks good but it require bit of training to set right parameter and query. The inclusion of IIS log like query in built or ability write custom will…

1 vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Metrics & charting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Application Insights Slowest Operations should respond to filters

In Application Insights portal, when you go to the page called Performance, there is a chart that shows the server response times and a list below with the title "What re my slowest operations?"

I can add filters to the page, but they will only filter the chart not the list below, I think this is a bug, because when you then click on a call in the list below, it opens in a details pane, but the pane shows no data because that pane is filtered with the same filters as the chart.

So you need to remove the…

1 vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Deleting Application Insights Resource does not remove site extension from app service using that resource

When removing Application Insights from an app service, you can delete the resource in the portal. But it still keeps the site extension for the Application Insights Profiler web job installed and running. You have to manually uninstall the site extension to fully remove all traces of application insights from the app service. This should happen automatically.

1 vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Service monitoring and diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • More Visibility Into Node.js

I would like more visibility into each node exe process on AS and ASEs, i.e. a visualization that shows how requests are being routed and delegated across indivifual node.exe instances, and a way to see visualization of cpu and memory consumption history for each process. I don’t have any real way of verifying that each node.exe instance is working as expected.

2 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Service monitoring and diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Make it possible in the AppInsight UI to check if you reached the limit on custom properties and remove old ones

I *believe* that I may have accidentally reached the limit on custom properties, because I'm no longer able to create new ones (see reported issue "PageViewTelemetry Custom Properties not displaying in AppInsight, but DO appear in continuous export data").
                However, I have NO WAY to verify if that's the case, nor any way to clear out the erroneously created custom properties.

As an aside, a limit of 200 properties is FAR too low...and far too easy to reach.

This limit, combined with the inability to KNOW that the limit has been reached and no way to clean them up, has…

1 vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Service monitoring and diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • HttpException logging misses custom properties set by context initializer

Hello,

When Web API instances receives HttpException, some internal classes of App Insights log HttpException to portal.

The issue is that it doesn't log customer properties which should be associated with this exception (I tried global context initializer and local TelemetryClient instance usage of "Properties" property.

1 vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Multiple column layouts for charts or display multiple favorites at same time

I would like to have charts span multiple columns. With only being able to display 1 favorite blade at a time, I am adding a lot of charts to a single blade and now finding I can't see them all without vertical scrolling required. Either allow multiple favorites to be visible at the same time or allow blades to have multiple columns to be able to see all the charts at once.

1 vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• More granular time ranges

I would like to have more granular time range filtering in the AI user interfaces. A minimum time range of 1 hour is too much for detailed analyses. I would like to see ranges specified in increments of x minutes.

1 vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• need a way to remove old cloud service instance names from the Servers list in Application Insights that get left behind as we do new deploy

a way to remove old cloud service instance names from the Servers list in Application Insights that get left behind as we do new deployments to our test Azure environments

2 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Data Purger role should respect Azure role-based access control (RBAC)

We have an AD Group which has been granted Data Purger role through the resource group containing all of our development AI resources.

However, it seems like the Purge API does not respect this. Instead, we would need to set explicit permissions for each user on each of the AI resources which is not an option in the management perspective.

3 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• PerformanceCollectorModule should support every possible performance counter.

Hi,

Currently list of supported performance counters is hard-coded in AppInsights.WindowsServer library.
                            This is a huge limiting factor. We need to be able to monitor every possible performance counter. This includes counters with dynamic naming like .NET Data Provider for SQL Server. It will require adding process id placeholder and maybe regex support in performance counter name.

https://github.com/Microsoft/ApplicationInsights-dotnet-server/blob/4093e9a6d350a9d4759eb64a2be17a90dc23f85a/Src/PerformanceCollector/Perf.Shared.NetFull/Implementation/WebAppPerformanceCollector/CounterFactory.cs

7 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Add a shared time range selector for dashboard

I would like to have a time range selector on a dashboard, with the ability to change all time ranges of all the dashboard components

Another idea is to modify a single dashboard component's time range

21 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Make available REST APIs to create and fetch the API Key for Application Insights.

Currently API Key needs to be created either from the portal or there is a powershell command available for it. However no REST API exists for same. As part of Azure REST support for Web Framework I think and strongly believe, support for such crucial services must be added to the REST.

Thank You.

2 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Export past events in same format as continuous export

After I turn on continuous export I would like to do a one time pull of event data that occurred before continuous export was enabled. This feature would export the data in the same format provided by continuous export to make it easy to ingest into a downstream reporting system.

2 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Continuous Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Enable webhook callback on Exceptions

Currently work item creation is only limited to GitHub and VSTS, well we can't switch our SCM and Project Management just to use Ai.

If you enable a webhook, we can write custom hook to create work items and track them on our own.

2 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • HOW ABOUT THE EARLY ADOPTERS?

Since i'am an early adopter for azure, i did not see half of te new structure. Isn't it possible to get an exrtra tryout account?

1 vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Integrations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Add convenience support for aggregating metrics

Can the sample code here be supported and merged into the SDK? https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/application-insights/app-insights-api-custom-events-metrics#aggregating-metrics

I like how natural and convenient the Requests and Exceptions and etc. integration is (for ASP.NET) but metrics is less convenient at the moment.

1 vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Add outbound ports to app insights.

App services have an insanely low number of available outbound ports (~160). Past that things start to slow down and time out. Yet there is little to no information on the port usage. This would be invaluable for troubleshooting connection timeouts, keep-alive strategies, etc.

1 vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 16 17
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base