Azure Monitor-Application Insights

Welcome to the Azure Application Insights UserVoice site. This site is for suggestions and ideas for all aspects of Application Insights such as our SDKs, Web tests, Analytics, etc. We look forward to hearing from you!

The Application Insights team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add support for other named dependency types

At the moment only SQL or HTTP is supported.

I am using dependency tracking to time dependencies for specific function calls, or third party components. It would be good to identify these with meaningful names and have icons to support them in views on the portal.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Extend Application Insights in Canada East region

We have restrictions that all our non-production resources should be created in "Canada" regions. We deploy them mostly in Canada East because Canada Central is more expensive than CAE and proximity.

If deploying App Insights in Canada Central, we get charged for bandwith egress to Canada East. As a result, it is problematic to use Application Insights in Canada Central for us.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. cloud filtering / preprocessing of data

Currently, you can do data sampling in the cloud to reduce the amount of data ingested/retained.

It would be useful if you could also specify simple filters to remove data at ingestion time.

e.g filter by severityLevel, CustomDimensions.CategoryName, applicationVersion.

We have a number of hard to update clients in the field, that have been poorly configured and are sending too much data.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

4. Add Application Insights to Azure Government US Texas region

Please add Application Insights to Azure Government US Texas region not just Virginia

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Add functionality to remember filters

Add functionality to remember Sample Telemetry filters in the Live Metrics Stream. My telemetry is junked up with so many "Starting HttpMessageHandler cleanup cycle... Ending HttpMessageHandler cleanup cycle...". Every time I come back to the live stream, I have to re-enter all of the filters just to see useful traces.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

6. Ability to move objects in application map

The application map gives a great overview of the current set up of an application and it's health. Sometimes however the creation of this map fails a little and some elements go on top of communication lines or other elements.

It would be great if we were able to drag the elements in application map around with our mouse to reposition them.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

7. Application Insightsにおける可用性テストについて

現在、可用性テストに設定できるアラートは「異常時」「復旧時」を
    トリガーとしていますがそれぞれ別にアラートの編集が出来るべきと考えております。

例えば、異常時をトリガーに自動再起動のRunbookを実行させるという仕組みを入れたとすると
    復旧時にも自動再起動が実行されることになり、無駄な再起動、無駄な通知が発生することになります。

異常時には異常時のアラート編集を復旧時には復旧時のアラート編集を、それぞれ設定可能にして頂くと助かります。

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Simplify configuration of AppInsights in government cloud

When using AppInsights in the public cloud environment, I hardly need to configure anything in my application beyond the instrumentation key. However, when my AppInsights instance is deployed in Azure Government Cloud (e.g. Fairfax / Azure US Government envirionment) I need to manually configure URLs to up to 3 endpoints, according to this page:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-government/documentation-government-services-monitoringandmanagement#application-insights

It would be much more convenient if I could simply configure "Environment = AzureUSGovernment" instead of needing to know URLs to 3 endpoints and how to configure them in every relevant language/platform.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

9. Allow me to rename the resources shown in the Application Map

It would be great if I could customize the Application Map resources and name them based on business context labels... not the resource type, but the resource name

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Enable configuration of colors in the application map

People with a red-green colour deficiency cannot see the failure rate in Application Map. Configurable colours/ or a predefined another color set would be very helpful.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Add a clone button to quickly create a copy for another environment like QA, Staging or PROD

Hi,

We created an App Insights instance in development (DEV) we would like to instantiate also for other environments like QA, Staging and Production. Currently we export the PowerShell and ARM Template but that doesn't work (ticket has been created as the export is syntactically incorrect and action groups are missing) and is also cumbersome. It would be such a great user experience to just to hit clone, enter some parameters, like a new name, resource group etc, and be done with it. It would be a huge productivity boost.

Thanks!

Jan Brunia
    Virence Health (Former GE Healthcare)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Add back the ability to View all Telemetry for this single operation from within End-to-End view

End-to-End view gives ALOT of data. If I select a single operation in the long list of things a user did in their session, I want the "Related Items" pane on the left to allow me to see all telemetry items FOR THIS SINGLE OPERATION. I can see whole session and root operation. I had to disable End-To-End to restore this functionality.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Is there no simple way to save Application Insights data? Like export to excel or CSV file?

Is there no simple way to save Application Insights data? Like export to excel or CSV file?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. share workbooks with "guests"

It would be helpful to be able to share workbooks with "guests": email accounts outside of the organization with read-only access to view the workbooks (use case: share some performance charts with customers)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. application map filter by operation

Would love to see the filtering capability in AI Application Map to only view specific operation or set of operations.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. application insights was confused by instrumentation Key and API key

Azure Monitor documentation doesn't provide clear instructions for backend developers on when to use instrumentation key vs API key. Please update the documentation to provide how and when the keys should be used. Also, include a note that wherever the API Key can be discovered (Azure CLI, Portal, documentation)that only instrumentation key is needed to send telemetry.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Deleting OMS workspace does not remove Application Insight connection

If an OMS workspace that is bound to an Application Insights is deleted, the Application Insight cannot be bound to new workspace so it cannot be rebound to new OMS workspace. The ask is to have to have the Application Insight rebound to a new OMS workspace.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Unable to configure perf counters to collect through Azure Portal

Unable to configure performance counters to collect through Azure Portal using Firefox, it works fine in Edge.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base