Azure Monitor-Application Insights

Welcome to the Azure Application Insights UserVoice site. This site is for suggestions and ideas for all aspects of Application Insights such as our SDKs, Web tests, Analytics, etc. We look forward to hearing from you!

The Application Insights team

How can we improve Application Insights?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. longer/configurable charts/graphs

configurable time periods for live graphs

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Metrics & charting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Autoscale Web App take into account the number of instances running

The current feature of auto scaling is on based on one metric like CPU or memory.

I would like to have a matrix with 2 metrics in it. CPU or Memory along with the number of instances running at that moment.

This will enable me to logical downscale the instances. For example:

2 -> 1 instances: at < 30% CPU, which results in around 60% CPU on 1 instance

For
    4 -> 3 instances: at < 45% CPU, which also results in around 60% CPU on 3 instances.

For now when a day of work starts with 1 instance and…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Allow grids to be pinned to the dashboard

Currently, you can pin charts (either built-in or ones created in Metrics Explorer) to a portal Dashboard. However, pinning a grid does not seem to be supported. This would be very useful for data that is grouped around things like the operation name or dependency name.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Metrics & charting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Pinning the Application Map on Azure Dashboard

Pinning the Application Map on Azure Dashboard

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Create Dashboard template for an application in order to create a concrete dashboard for a certain environment

We would like to build Azure Dashboard by template (not necessarily ARM template) like Grafana is doing.

We have applications that run in different environments: DEV, INT, PROD
    For every environment we have a separate Application Insights resource where we store our metrics.

We want to define a dashboard template that defines all charts we want to have for our application. And we want to target this template to a certain Application Insights instance in order to create a environment specific dashboard (i.e. MyApplication Monitoring PROD).

Beside some pinned standard monitoring charts from the webapp resource (Request overview timeline, total…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Metrics & charting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Support updating the query for a graph.

After pinning a query w/graph etc. to a dashboard, i can't edit/update the query, in-place. i'm forced to goto analytics, which creates a new query, when modified the only option i have is to pin the new query to my dashboard. then edit the title of the new graph, delete the old one and rework the layout.
    would be really great if i could simply edit/update the query associated with an already pinned graph.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Allow manual entering of application insight annotation

1) Don't limit annotations in Application Insights to just releases

2) Allow manual entering of application insight annotations in the AI web app, not just from a step in the release process

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Add support for Appgateway (or other proxies) in appmap

The appmap in application insights is great, but end-to-end tracking skips a step when proxies such as AGW, CDN or FrontDoor are not part of the dependency mapping.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

9. Scale Breaks on Y Axis (Or a second Y Axis to display low/high extremes)

A chart with a large volume of data in a specific category can overshadow the lower values in other categories that are still meaningful to vizualise on the chart.

Having the ability to Scale Break (as in PowerBI), or render the lower values on a secondary Y axis would be extremely useful.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

10. Pin a grid "chart" to dashboard

In the new dashboard Metrics explorer the only chart type that cannot be pinned is a Grid. I had to use the one in Classic Explorer to pin it to my dashboard but it doesn't integrate with the time range settings for the whole dashboard.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Separate 4xx requests from 5xx requests in Live Metrics Stream

Allow for a filter or another graph to track 401's, 403's, and all other 4xx calls separate from 5xx calls so that we know if we are encountering auth issues or exceptions in Live Metrics Stream.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Scheduled Reports Need to be Integrated

Being able to setup a function app to do this ok, but this is way to complicated for something that should built into the AI blade.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/application-insights/automate-custom-reports

Look at what you can do in Splunk. It is much easier. Let's get App Insights / Log Analytics to be better than that.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. sql

we need better sql tracking. Something like #1 and #13 in this document.

https://stackify.com/microsoft-application-insights-alternative/

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Support charts with more decimals (+Y-Axis auto scaling)

I really like the Azure ApplicationInsight charts, but I would like to see charts with autoscaling (y-axis) for my floating point custom metrics.

For instance I have lots of floating point values like 10.2345678 with a change of ~0.00001 and the charts only shows 10.23, 10.23, 10.23 and so on...

I would love to see more detail here!

Thanks.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Drag the components

The components should be movable when viewing the Application map in Azure portal.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. "Total of Server Requests by Request Performance" should be ordered by Request Performance

The second default graph on the Overview page for my ASP.NET web application is "Total of Server Requests by Request Performance".

The data in the chart is currently sorted by request performance. To understand this chart currently, I have to read down the "Request performance" column and think about the duration that each of those rows represents, and whether that's acceptable or not. I can't tell anything "at a glance".

If the chart was instead sorted by the request, I could glance at the "shape" of the chart, and see that most requests are acceptable (<250ms) but some are in…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. display of pinned query limit 7 days

it appears that when pinning a query to a dashboard, the graph display is limited to only 7 days regardless of the underlying query.

is this possibly a bug in the display, held over from when there was only 7days of stored data? now that we have a 30 day timeframe for data, it would be good to see that in pinned graphs.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. automatically enable requests tracking for Mobile Services

LIve metrics don't work for mobile services. I want the live tracking also on the mobile services so I have my heads up display that can show me real time usage of the backend

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base