Azure Monitor-Application Insights

Welcome to the Azure Application Insights UserVoice site. This site is for suggestions and ideas for all aspects of Application Insights such as our SDKs, Web tests, Analytics, etc. We look forward to hearing from you!

The Application Insights team

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add metric namespace property to customMetrics table

Metric namespace is available to filer by when building a chart on Metrics blade. However, there is no way to query or filter by metric namespace when querying customMetrics table in Log Analytics.

Is it possible to add metric namespace property to customMetrics table?

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Metrics & charting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

2. Url for time spans and other filtering

It would be great if it were possible to drill into a particular time range for any of the analytis pages, and then generate a URL to be able to send to someone else ( or yourself ) which will take you back to that appropriate timespan (and/or any other filters you have in place ).

Or alternatively be able to save these filters as sharable and just have the timespan as a url parameter.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature

3. Add optional resource group filter to Live Metrics Stream

I would like to narrow my view down to only a single resource group when viewing the Live Metrics Stream. In my case I have similar assets deployed to different resource groups. Seeing them all together is good, but I would also like to see one (resource group's worth) at a time.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Metrics & charting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Enable more cohort analysis tools in Application Insights

We are using AI for assessing the usage of features using custom events, but better ways of seeing changes in usage over time within Application Insights queries would be beneficial (new chart types and cohort groupings)

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. The preview-map needs more functionality like filtering on role or operation, as well as grouping/hiding of dependencies

In large scale deployments with multiple operations, roles and dependencies the current preview-map is rendered useless as long as filtering, grouping and so forth is not enabled. It should for example be possible to select a specific role to view all its sub operations and/or dependencies.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

The new map experience since has been updated with better grouping of dependencies and the ability to click on any component and see the details of the dependencies/and operations in the performance and failure triage experiences, as well as overall KPI in the right side pane (for groups).

How is this working (or not) for you. We greatly appreciate your feedback and help with improving our product.

Thanks,
    Soubhagya Dash
    7/11/2018

6. Create Dashboard template for an application in order to create a concrete dashboard for a certain environment

We would like to build Azure Dashboard by template (not necessarily ARM template) like Grafana is doing.

We have applications that run in different environments: DEV, INT, PROD
    For every environment we have a separate Application Insights resource where we store our metrics.

We want to define a dashboard template that defines all charts we want to have for our application. And we want to target this template to a certain Application Insights instance in order to create a environment specific dashboard (i.e. MyApplication Monitoring PROD).

Beside some pinned standard monitoring charts from the webapp resource (Request overview timeline, total…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. longer/configurable charts/graphs

configurable time periods for live graphs

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Autoscale Web App take into account the number of instances running

The current feature of auto scaling is on based on one metric like CPU or memory.

I would like to have a matrix with 2 metrics in it. CPU or Memory along with the number of instances running at that moment.

This will enable me to logical downscale the instances. For example:

2 -> 1 instances: at < 30% CPU, which results in around 60% CPU on 1 instance

For
    4 -> 3 instances: at < 45% CPU, which also results in around 60% CPU on 3 instances.

For now when a day of work starts with 1 instance and…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Allow grids to be pinned to the dashboard

Currently, you can pin charts (either built-in or ones created in Metrics Explorer) to a portal Dashboard. However, pinning a grid does not seem to be supported. This would be very useful for data that is grouped around things like the operation name or dependency name.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Metrics & charting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Application Insights: Custom metrics (Preview)

Feature to allow alerting on custom metric dimension is in preview mode for almost 2 years, there is no ETA on general availability. Customers would like to have this feature available for public asap.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Ability to set cloud role name with codeless solutions

SychevIgor has requested the ability to set cloud role name with codeless solutions:
    https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/azure-docs/issues/48326

This is something that we've discussed in the past here:
    https://github.com/microsoft/ApplicationInsights-Home/issues/326

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for your feedback and its now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

12. FrontDoors causing a big drain on Application Insights

I've enabled Front Doors on my Web App with AppInsights enabled and noticed a huge increase in data ingested - possibly due to heartbeat queries from FD service. There should exist an option to discard / sample the same traffic, or deduplicate it somehow? I can't use app insights with azure front doors due to pricing consequences it creates, and I'll probably need to drop this in favor of front doors if this cant be helped

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Set an alert threshold from a live metrics stream graph

While watching a live metrics stream, i noticed that i had a high error rate. It would be nice if there was a way to from a graph create an alert if the thing plotted crossed some threshold (failures per second was what i was looking at when i had this thought)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Support updating the query for a graph.

After pinning a query w/graph etc. to a dashboard, i can't edit/update the query, in-place. i'm forced to goto analytics, which creates a new query, when modified the only option i have is to pin the new query to my dashboard. then edit the title of the new graph, delete the old one and rework the layout.
    would be really great if i could simply edit/update the query associated with an already pinned graph.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Allow manual entering of application insight annotation

1) Don't limit annotations in Application Insights to just releases

2) Allow manual entering of application insight annotations in the AI web app, not just from a step in the release process

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Add support for Appgateway (or other proxies) in appmap

The appmap in application insights is great, but end-to-end tracking skips a step when proxies such as AGW, CDN or FrontDoor are not part of the dependency mapping.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

18. Scale Breaks on Y Axis (Or a second Y Axis to display low/high extremes)

A chart with a large volume of data in a specific category can overshadow the lower values in other categories that are still meaningful to vizualise on the chart.

Having the ability to Scale Break (as in PowerBI), or render the lower values on a secondary Y axis would be extremely useful.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

19. When pinned to Dashboard, allow custom timespan further than 30 days in the past

In Dashboard, normally the timespan of the tiles is defined at dashboard-level, but this can be overridden on a per-tile basis.

However, the "from date" does not behave correctly when it's earlier than 1 month from today, even though the UI is correct.

For example, if today is 26th Feb, and if I set the from date to any date before 27th Jan (e.g. 1st Jan), it will use 27th Jan to perform the query instead.

This makes the custom timespan useless for many use cases, such as "from the 1st of last month to the end of last month".

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Full node name under ApplicationMap

Display the full node name under ApplicationMap graph

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base