Application Insights

Welcome to the Azure Application Insights UserVoice site. This site is for suggestions and ideas for all aspects of Application Insights such as our SDKs, Web tests, Analytics, etc. We look forward to hearing from you!

The Application Insights team

How can we improve Application Insights?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Enable deploying shared queries via ARM

We have multiple application insights instances (test, acc, prod) and want to configure them as Infrastructure as Code using ARM templates. It seems to be possible to add alerts to the templates, however I'm not able to add our share queries from our insights analytics to an ARM template. To be able to redeploy and keep track of our queries we want be able to add the developed queries in our ARM templates and deploy them as IAC.

52 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: oidc
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. set color legend

Render AI Analytic query chart with custom colors. For example, would like to render a red bar for failed requests and green bar for successful requests.

34 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Add Heat Map Analysis

Add Heat Map Analysis. This is a very useful tool in analysis so its great if we can include this.

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow queries to be saved as functions

Allow queries to be saved as functions.

Our team has many shared queries that reuse base functionality stored in functions. Currently these functions have to be inserted at the top of every saved query that uses them. This leads to major time investment in maintaining updates to any of the functions.

This is already supported in Log Analytics but not in Application Insights per the below doc :

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/log-analytics/query-language/advanced-query-writing#functions

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add ability to clear telemetry in Live Metrics Stream

Currently you cannot clear the telemetry of a Live Metrics Stream.

A common use case is to open Live Metrics Stream and add filters to only display failed requests, dependencies, and exceptions.

Without being able to clear the existing list of telemetry, it is very difficult to use the live stream as a dashboard on a TV or even on your PC to quickly identify problems in production.

If the list was cleared, you would immediately know when an error occurred since the list is on longer empty. Once you've analyzed the issue, you could clear the telemetry again and…

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

6. There is a delay of time for Application Insights Log Analytics data to appear in my dashboard

My application will push logs to Appln Insights. When I search for the same log entries it wont appear immediately. It will show up after some delay of 3-5 mins. This issue is a show stopper for me. Please let me know the resolution.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Embeddables/Web widgets

I would love to be able to take different metrics/data, and show them with live data on my own company website or dashboard.

We could show the overall performance of our company apps on our custom dashboard.
    It could be an easy way for us to give customers various data about our apps on their environment.

And tonnes of more uses.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Application Map - Export to PNG

Often the components displayed on the Application Map will extend outside of the visible area. I can take a screenshot if I zoom out, but then it is not legible. Or, I can compose multiple screenshots together as I pan, but that is tedious.

Suggestion: allow exporting the map as an image.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Update more frequently pinned to a Dashboard charts created in Analytics

As a DevOps I need to observe aggregation of custom metrics showing the pulse of the system, which can be very nicely implemented via a query in App Insights\Analytics but if you pin them on a Dashboard they will update only hourly.

We need an option for auto-refresh on such tiles/charts pinned on dashboard to be refreshed each 1-5 minutes.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Add Seconday Axis to Charts in Analytics

I have 3 output columns TimeStamp(datetime), JobRunDuration (int), RowsProcessed (int)

When I use “render timechart” AI is showing me the two Int values on same axis.
    It would be great if a secondary axis could be added to charts so that two values could be represented in same chat.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Populate client_browser and client_os for requests (not just pageviews)

We're using AI to monitor our Web API and want to analyse the various client applications that connect to it. We'd hoped to use UserAgent - the clients set the User-Agent header, with product, version and OS information.

However, it seems that only telemetry that's marked as a PageView has the UserAgent parsed into 'client_Browser' and 'client_OS' - any Request telemetry has those properties empty. (Despite the Analytics schema having those properties.)

Are we taking the wrong approach? Or should AI actually be setting these properties for requests?

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Allow pinned Analytics Dashboard Charts to click through to event search view.

One of the great features of Application Insights is the ability to drill down into the data by clicking through the metrics charts to create new filtered search blades.

Many useful built in portal tiles have been removed recently (e.g. 'Top Crashes' showing Impacted User Count); Analytics allows us to recreate the same view on a dashboard in a more general way but the pinned chart does not have the same "drill down" abilities to the data that the old built in tiles had.

It would be great if there was an option to allow clicking through the pinned charts…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Add a public library of common used analytics queries

While some applications have specific requirements, a lot of reports that come out of analystics must be pretty common. It would be nice to have an área in which to find common queries already optimized and 'verified' by the community and/or Microsoft itself.
    Queries like: "between two dates, which are the pages that had most time consumption difference"

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Ability do embed dashboard to third party applications. E.g. CMS. Including Quick Pulse

Many of our clients would love to see the amazing reports we can generate in App Insights from with in their web application e.g. CMS. Although it would be possible to build these dashboards manually using the API, it would be much more feasible to just get an embed code for the metrics graphs ans list created in the Azure Portal.
    This should also include the live streaming Quick Pulse.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Shared queries destination for multiple resource groups

There should be a way to either share queries across multiple resource groups on the same subscription, or at least batch exporting/importing in the analytics blade. It's common to deploy several instances of an application to different resource groups as different sandboxes/environments, but typically we'd be interested in displaying analytics data uniformly across all environments.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Application Map Live option

Application Map Live option

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Formatted Copy/Paste from results grid

I'd really like to copy-paste cells out of the result table, into a problem ticket or a wiki page.

Of course you don't stop Ctrl+C copy, but what comes out is just a bunch of run-together text, not an HTML table. Can you improve this experience?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Render GANTT charts

Adding ability to render GANTT charts to visualize data. This will be extremely helpful to see if there are any race conditions in my code. Can easily identify concurrent requests to a shared resource.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Calls to Remote Dependencies | Names are not useful

it shows TYPE, DEPENDENCY, DURATION, SUCCESS.

It's cool, but for me DEPENDENCY is the name my remote sql server, and if i go 10 times for different reasons I get 10 items with the same name, and I have to click each of them to see what the command is.

My idea is that at least, when the blade is maximized show the ACTUAL "Dependency name" property, which in my case is SQL: [MYSCHEMA].[MYPROCEDURE]

I have no idea why this is not shown by default, or at least no way to configure it.

Cheers

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Select what components to show in application map.

Some kind of filter for the components to show. May be a dropdown with all the components with a checkbox to select what to show.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base