Application Insights

Welcome to the Azure Application Insights UserVoice site. This site is for suggestions and ideas for all aspects of Application Insights such as our SDKs, Web tests, Analytics, etc. We look forward to hearing from you!

The Application Insights team

How can we improve Application Insights?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add plugin/data source functionalities for Multi-step Web Tests

Currently it's not possible to create a custom plugin or to add a data source.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Web tests  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Application Insights on-prem web tests

Are there plans to update Application Insights so that we can run web tests from on-prem locations in addition to the Azure locations? We have a need to monitor from within our network as well as outside the network.

2 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Generate alerts in case web tests are not executed because of certain reason.

In case, web tests are not executed in azure application insight there should be an alert generated which can specify the reason behind such incident.

1 vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Increase 2 minute timeout limit for multi-step web tests

Increase the 2-minute limit for application insights multi-step web tests

1 vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Web tests  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Send weekly Performance / Availability report (column -every day) for each web test item

Send weekly Performance / Availability report (column -every day) for each web test item

1 vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Display "Reporting Name" in the web test result screen in azure rather than Request URLs

Display "Reporting Name" in the web test result screen in azure rather than Request URLs

1 vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Looking for Custom schedule for availability test rather just 5/10/15 min

Looking for Custom schedule for availability test rather just 5/10/15 min

2 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Please fix web testing urls without a prefix (like example.com)

Currently you can't add a web test with an url like http://example.com
                  It will come up with the error: Invalid URI: The format of the URI could not be determined

When adding a http://www.example.com which 302 redirecs to http://example.com,
                  the following exception is in the Web test result details "Exception" section:
                  System.UriFormatException: Invalid URI: The format of the URI could not be determined.
                  at System.Uri.CreateThis(String uri, Boolean dontEscape, UriKind uriKind)
                  at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.WebTesting.HtmlDocument.ParseForDependentRequests(Boolean urlsOnly)
                  at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.WebStress.WebTestCaseVariation.BuildDependentRequestsList(WebTestInstrumentedTransaction instrumentedTransaction)
                  at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.WebStress.WebTestCaseVariation.AddParsedDependentRequests(ExecutionState executionState)

1 vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Use public DNS servers in the same location as the test agents

Web tests are showing high page response times and also failures in Azure regions farthest from the test location when the URL is a *.trafficmanager.net name and there are multiple endpoints in many Azure regions worldwide. The test agents are using local DNS servers that are forwarding to DNS servers most in Redmond, WA when resolving public domain names and this is causing Azure Traffic Manager to send a response with an endpoint that is farthest from the actual test agent location.

Please take a look at the thread I started:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/7efd2a25-0b11-497c-8020-7c5e932196aa/availability-requests-for-an-azure-traffic-manager-name-are-going-to-incorrect-azure-regions?forum=ApplicationInsights

2 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Add support for Intranet application testing (not just via Internet). E.g., via NTLM

App Insights works great for externally-facing applications. Would like the same rich experience for Internal/Intranet applications.

85 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Web tests  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

In order to help with adopting the SDK to send results from your custom availability tests, we have added a new Azure function template called “AppInsightsHttpAvailability-CSharp”. To find this, please select “Monitoring” in the scenario dropdown when you go to add a new Azure function from a template. You can get more information from its source here: https://github.com/Azure/azure-webjobs-sdk-templates/tree/dev/Templates/contents/AppInsightsHttpAvailability-CSharp.

You can replace the template test with any arbitrary test, use client certificates, deploy to an App service environment so it can access network protected applications.
                        Give it a run and let us know if it works for your scenarios. Also, what other templates would you like us to provide? We are looking at providing a Docker template with Selenium and AI SDK baked in. I don’t have an ETA on that at this time though.

Thanks,
                        Soubhagya Dash
                        5/31/2017

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base