Application Insights

Welcome to the Azure Application Insights UserVoice site. This site is for suggestions and ideas for all aspects of Application Insights such as our SDKs, Web tests, Analytics, etc. We look forward to hearing from you!

The Application Insights team

How can we improve Application Insights?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Cannot share reports or dashboards from "Personal" account to "Work or School" account

I have a web app with JavaScript that records events in App Insights, in the Azure subscription that is part of my Visual Studio subscription, which is under a "Personal" account (even though it is through my company). If I share an App Insights with a user in my company and the user has a "Work or School Account" (same domain as my Personal account), they cannot view the report. Enabling the debugger in IE11 shows that they are getting "Access Denied" errors (though they see nothing but a blank frame). I should be able to share with any type…

1 vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • "Total of Server Requests by Request Performance" should be ordered by Request Performance

The second default graph on the Overview page for my ASP.NET web application is "Total of Server Requests by Request Performance".

The data in the chart is currently sorted by request performance. To understand this chart currently, I have to read down the "Request performance" column and think about the duration that each of those rows represents, and whether that's acceptable or not. I can't tell anything "at a glance".

If the chart was instead sorted by the request, I could glance at the "shape" of the chart, and see that most requests are acceptable (<250ms) but some are in…

1 vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Metrics & charting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • 1 vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

• We should keep "filters" option form previous version.

We should keep "filters" option form previous version.

1 vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Application Insights Extension breaks precompiled Azure WebApp

I get this error after installing AI Extension
            Could not load file or assembly 'App_GlobalResources' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified...

PS: My app is precompiled and has therefore no App_GlobalResources folder

1 vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Service monitoring and diagnostics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Have an easy way to have only server side tracking

I have a web app and
              1) dont want to introduce new cookies in it or client side api tracking calls
              2) dont want to log client information /IP (last 8 octet obfuscated is okay) . Think GDPR requirements.

I still need to be able to track server side requests and exceptions and alert on them

What is the easiest way to achieve this?

1 vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Notify of problem when Scheduled Analytics Metric can't be saved

Failure responses when creating the Scheduled Analytics Metric don’t appear in the UI for me. After a few times trying to create a metric and getting a blank answer without the item saving, I used browser development tools to find out the HTTP response was a 400 (bad request) and had various errors.

Example 1: trying to save a metric with a name > 32 characters, the UI progress bar displays and quickly goes away, the metric doesn’t save, doesn’t go back to the list of metrics, and just sits there. Investigating the HTTP messages yields the following response: {"Message":"Metric…

1 vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Automate the creation of Scheduled Analytics resources

We generate Azure Application Insights resources via ARM json templates and also need to generate the Scheduled Analytics and matching alert for those AI resources so we can reliably recreate the identical setup across environments. See attached for Azure Portal examples of what we need automated.

2 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Fix the Session examples or App Insights behaviour

The article https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/application-insights/app-insights-usage-send-user-context describes setting session as `telemetry.Context.Session.Id = HttpContext.Current.Session.SessionID;`. However, in practice Session is null. I've had a chat with Azure support regarding this and their answer was the following:

'The initializer is executed on the TrackXXX event as part of the request pipeline depending on who creates the session, it appears that the Initializer might be firing before it has actually set up the session data. '

Please, fix the example or, even better, this behaviour. That's absolutely unacceptable that public examples don't work and we have to resort to talking to support to understand the behaviour and…

4 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • application Insight Server monitering support New PHP Framework

PHP Framework like lalavel, CakePHP, etc.
                      can export Server side statuses to Application Insights

1 vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Create Dashboard template for an application in order to create a concrete dashboard for a certain environment

We would like to build Azure Dashboard by template (not necessarily ARM template) like Grafana is doing.

We have applications that run in different environments: DEV, INT, PROD
                        For every environment we have a separate Application Insights resource where we store our metrics.

We want to define a dashboard template that defines all charts we want to have for our application. And we want to target this template to a certain Application Insights instance in order to create a environment specific dashboard (i.e. MyApplication Monitoring PROD).

Beside some pinned standard monitoring charts from the webapp resource (Request overview timeline, total…

1 vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• How to integrate application insight with Azure Active Directory B2C Built-In-Policy

Need an option in B2C Built-in-policy to collect B2C log in Application Insight.

1 vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Integrations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Add drill downs - live metrics

Be good to allow 2 things :

Click on an item in the telemetry window so we can drill as it happens

Also be good to be able to take out a server from the stack by selecting it ..

0 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Choose to ignore 404's from the Failures (preview) pane

Re the failures (preview) I would like to be able to choose to ignore 404's in the stats, for our api a 404 is a legitimate response and not an error

1 vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Application Insights VSTS widget chart should fill in missing days in the chart with a value of 0.

When I add the Application Insights widgets to my TFS dashboard, I am able to connect to my data just fine, but when there is no data for a day, the line does not go back to zero for that day, it just goes to the value for the next day with a value. I would like to have each day within the date range have a value of zero when there is no data for that date.

1 vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Add a server filter to the Live Metrics Stream

On the Live Metrics Stream it would be useful to be able to view the metrics for a subset of servers. Currently it is only possible to view all servers together or a single server.

For example, if I had a Virtual Machine Scale Set (VMSS) representing servers hosting an application gateway and another VMSS representing servers hosting back end microservices, I would like to be able to select all gateway servers to view metrics for the combined set of gateway servers.

1 vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• We need OOB component to monitor or track the downloaded documents of any library on SharePoint Online Sitecollection (Content Viewing)

Regarding to integration between Application Insight and SharePoint Online, Is there anything out of box to monitor or track the downloaded or uploaded documents of any library of any SharePoint online site collection as page views, user sessions, exceptions.

1 vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Add the ability to alert based on Analytics query

Current alert options only work with metrics.

Provide a simple alert mechanism based on any Analytics query. This could be as simple as requiring a custom query that returns two values: Filter Column and Filter Count.

Here is an example:
                                      Query returns number of times a certain event/error code is returned along with a cloud_RoleInstance name. You limit your query based on whatever where conditions you want (timespan, customDimension, etc.)

When you set up the alert, you
                                      1. pick the shared query. Some quick validation is done that correct fields are returned.
                                      2. You can then set a threshold if…

6 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Alerting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Implement support for querying telemetry in SDK's

It would be great if there would be a SDK client which allows of querying data (metrics, events etc) instead of having to make REST API calls.

Even if it might be trivial to make REST calls, from a developer perspective it would be a big improvement to just be able to call a method without having to deal with auth or looking up the call you need to make.

3 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  SDK  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • The Sample Operation should include HTTPHeaders

It would be nice to see the HTTPHeaders for a given request. or maybe i can't find it and it is already there?

1 vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 11 12
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base