Azure Functions

Azure Functions is an event driven, compute-on-demand experience that extends the existing Azure application platform with capabilities to implement code triggered by events occurring in other Azure services, SaaS products, and on-premises systems. With Azure Functions, your applications scale based on demand and you pay only for the resources you consume. Azure Functions provides an intuitive, browser-based user interface allowing you to create scheduled or triggered pieces of code implemented in a variety of programming languages.

How can we improve Microsoft Azure Functions?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add documentation and guidelines to test Java Functions

Currently there are documentation exists on testing java functions. Nice to have a document explaining how to unit test and perform integratioin test on various java functions(bindings)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: oidc
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. On Premises Function App - Method to deploy from Visual Studio

It dosen't appear that there is any method to deploy Functions to the on-premises "Azure Functions Runtime" - it seems you need to create the Function in the web-based IDE.

Can we expect some method to deploy Functions from a local development environment to an On Premises server running Azure Functions Runtime?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Code-To-Function - Specify git location for the function code.

Code-To-Function is idea similar to the Code-To-Container when where Azure function has only pointer to the function code git location.

Additional features could -"well known branches" where master is associated with prod and trunk with pre-prod deployment slots.

The failure of the exxecutin would configurably create an issue in the Git

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. certificate

Can Azure Functions support SSL certificate for consumption plan?
    I found on https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-functions/scripts/functions-cli-configure-ssl-certificate that "To bind an SSL certificate, your function app must be created in an App Service plan and not in a consumption plan."

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Offer ability to train a Neural Network Model using Azure Functions with GPU

Offer ability to train a Neural Network Model using Azure Functions with GPU. this will be very useful, especially if you want to train Models using different parameters or hyper-parameter optimization.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Ruby functions

Be able to write Azure functions in Ruby

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Function inputs with query or path support should be able to make use of query/body parameters

The documentation for SqlQuery inputs mentions that this capability is not *yet* supported, and points to a GH comment, but I saw no actual feature request so here it is.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-functions/functions-bindings-cosmosdb-v2#http-trigger-look-up-id-from-route-data-using-sqlquery-c

"You can pass route data to the SqlQuery parameter as shown, but currently you can't pass query string values." (link to comment https://github.com/Azure/azure-functions-host/issues/2554#issuecomment-392084583)

Is there any sort of timeline that users can expect this?

Also, I think the documentation could be improved to explain that the Route Templates are based on ASP.NET routing, which is where the limitation stems from (because route templates in ASP.NET do not encompass…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bindings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow customers to select the VM size their consumption plan runs on

It's my understanding functions execute on an A1 size virtual machine, which has 1 core and 2GB memory. The customer has no way of changing this.

Our processing requires a bit more beefy machine as it's CPU and memory intensive. We understand using a dedicated App Service Plan is an option, but we really like paying for only what we consume. Our jobs run infrequently and tend to be on the "longer" end of the run time scale.

I'd love to be able to select the VM size we run on and pay accordingly with a consumption plan.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. When the major upgrade to .NET Framework in the future, We want to do integration tests on Function App.

When the major upgrade to .NET Framework in the future, We want to do integration tests on Function App. It means that We would like to not only Local tests but also integration tests.
    (ex. executing function app from logic app)
    Also, We would like to have an option to upgrade as and when required.

[background]
    Currently, we can only local test for upcoming upgrade to .NET Framework 4.7.2
    https://github.com/Azure/app-service-announcements/issues/89

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. At-a-glance failure monitoring in UI

Would be great to see the current health of all functions in a single view. Black for successful, Orange for functions with warnings and Red for functions with errors on last execution.

Also, last x runs in a color-coded graph (same as last x builds in VSTS) would be brilliant so we can quickly visualise the health of our function apps.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. EventHub Trigger filtering based on properties

It would be great to be able to provide a filtering expression in the binding of an eventHubTrigger. Using this I could configure my function to only be invoked for certain events that match the filter. For example, I store a property called "eventType" in the application properties of each event. My function is potentially only interested in events of one or more specific types. Currently I code this logic into the function, which works fine. However, it counts as an unnecessary invocation and increases the cost. Ideally the filtering would take place in the host and not incur a…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Unsure on this one but marking as unplanned. The filtering would also have to happen at the client to preserve ordering. However even if we did the filtering before the execution it’s still consuming compute so I don’t think it makes sense for it to be “free.” Just because the trigger is doing filtering before execution wouldn’t necessarily negate the price aspect. And since filtering often has some custom parsing / decoding / conditions it’s almost better to do it in code.

-
    Jeff

12. MQTT Subscriber trigger support as a first class trigger

Please add support for listening to MQTT 3.0 and 3.1 servers as a subscriber for a trigger. This would be immensely useful in IoT scenarios.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. better error handling for EventGrid calls that you want to retry

The Microsoft sample documentation (link below) suggests using a Run method with void return type. This doesn't allow convenient handling of errors that you want to handle by getting EventGrid to retry invoking the Azure Function again after a period. For example, my Azure Function sends a message to a server (Azure Container Instance) which may be down. In this situation I want EventGrid to invoke my Azure Function again after a period when the server might be up. However, with a void return type my only option seems to be that of throwing an exception (InvalidOperation?). Agreed, I could…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Support international SMTPUTF8 email addresses in Sendgrid output

It seems like international characters in email addresses are not supported.

I think SendGrid supports SMTPUTF8, as indicated here: https://sendgrid.com/blog/episode-2-of-the-grid-podcast

It would be nice if Azure Functions could successfully implement support for this as well.

When I send email to an address containing 'ø', the SendGrid portal displays the address as containing 'ø' in place of the 'ø', which is a typical ASCII/UTF-8 encoding mismatch. And the message is dropped with Reason 'Invalid'.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. How to accept connections from local network on Azure Functions (v2)?

I am trying to develop an @AzureFunctions using Xamarin Forms. But it is not accepting connections from the cell phone.
    How to configure host, port of Azure Functions on Visual Studio 2017 to enable connections from * other than localhost connections?
    How to accept connections from local network on Azure Functions (v2) ?
    How to configure Host : Port of Azure Functions on Visual Studio 2017 ?
    I want that it accepts like ASP.Net Core (.UseUrls("http://+:7071")):
    Now listening on: http://[::]:7071
    but it is only listening on
    http://localhost:7071

See
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/49267438/how-to-accept-connections-from-local-network-on-azure-functions-v2

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Expose StorageClientFactory or QueueProcessorFactory to enable triggering on client-side-encrypted queues

With WebJobs, a custom StorageClientFactory can set an EncryptionPolicy in the DefaultRequestOptions such that encrypted queue messages are transparently decrypted when triggering a WebJob.

Alternatively, the EncryptionPolicy can be set on a queue by queue basis using a custom QueueProcessorFactory.

If these, or a more general way to modify the JobHostConfiguration were provided, then we would be able to store the storage connection string in Azure KeyVault and use client side encryption with Azure Functions apps.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Code folding

Ability to fold code sections in the portal while in editor mode would be very useful.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Docker on Function apps

I hope the docker is installed on function apps by the default.

I want to do 'docker run --rm -it anybody/somecontainer some-cli-app' in the run.sh of a function.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Add Visual Basic language support

This would be a great way to extend the reach of teams with heavy VB skills and investment in existing VB projects.

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 2 3 4 5 7 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

Azure Functions

Feedback and Knowledge Base