Azure Functions

Azure Functions is an event driven, compute-on-demand experience that extends the existing Azure application platform with capabilities to implement code triggered by events occurring in other Azure services, SaaS products, and on-premises systems. With Azure Functions, your applications scale based on demand and you pay only for the resources you consume. Azure Functions provides an intuitive, browser-based user interface allowing you to create scheduled or triggered pieces of code implemented in a variety of programming languages.

How can we improve Microsoft Azure Functions?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Java support for Azure Functions on Gradle

I hope to be able to create with gradle.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: oidc
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Autocomplete and intellisense on a portal

Hi,
    it's cool that we have source code editor, but without Autocomplete and intellisense it's really hard write and debug code directly on a porta.
    Few years ago was project Monaco on a classic azure porta. could you reuse it add autocomplete somehow else?!

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Azure Function Cosmos DB Trigger - Configurable databaseName and collectionName attributes

Currently, the Cosmos Trigger for Azure Functions allow us to have a Configurable Value for Cosmos DB Connection String as well as LeaseConnection string. However, both the databaseName & collectionName attributes are just string. That means, we need to hardcode them in the code. It would be helpful if we can have them configurable via App Settings.

Thanks for all the awesome work Microsoft and it's Product Teams!

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Functions Should support Custom Trigger events

Functions Should be able to support custom triggers
    In my case i need a trigger from azure redis which is not possible in functions now.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add support to Open Tracing/Zipkin

Opentracing (http://opentracing.io/) is a popular standard for tracing correlated requests across many different services communicating via RPC. It contains implementations on several different platforms and various tools (zipkin being one of the most popular ones). The standard can be easily extended over HTTP using dedicated headers from client/server side. It would be great if Azure functions would be able to provide more or less transparent support for it.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We are currently working on supporting a suite of Azure based distributed tracing solutions. We have no current plans to support this tool, but would love to hear from the community, and are leaving this item open to collect feedback :)

Thanks!
    Alex
    Azure Functions Team

6. Support authentication for Azure Function Core Tools

Azure Functions has been great, especially the ability to run the Core Tools locally. However, there are often scenarios where you return data depending on the currently authenticated user. This appears to be supported in Azure Functions in Azure now but there are no options within the Core Tools. This would be hugely useful for local development.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Excel support for calling Azure functions with parameters

being able to call an Azure function directly from a worksheet.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Support for queue settings per function

As I was looking for a way to configure the visibility timeout for queue messages I found that the only configuration seemed to be at the host level. The problem is that my queues have different needs and one setting will not work optimally for all queues. I am looking for a way to configure each queue independently.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Allow moving from AppServicePlan to Consumption plan (in Azure portal)

It should be easy to move between hosting plans for Azure functions so we can change this based on the current needs. At the moment, I would like to move away from app service plan for a lot of functions (use consumption plan instead), but in the future, high continous demand might move some back to an app service plan. Changing between the to modes should be as easy as scaling out on an app service plan

I have read somewhere that there is a problem if a function was created as an app service plan because of missing storage.…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. consumption plan china

Currently Azure Function Apps cannot be hosted on a Consumption Plan if the target Cloud is China.

See: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/appserviceteam/2018/03/28/announcing-the-availability-of-azure-functions-in-national-clouds/

We would like to have the capability to use the Consumption Plan also on this Azure Region.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. update AzureRM modules in azure function app

i am using azure poweershell function with http trigger but the problem is it has very old version of AzureRM and all other azureRM modules and there is no option i can simply update modules in powershell function.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Add "clientCertEnabled" support for local development of Azure Functions

If I set the following flag on my azure-published azure-function "clientCertEnabled": true, my sample code below is able to use/consume the client certificate I send.

I am unable to get local debugging to accept client-certificates.

This makes unit-testing my azure function very difficult.

using System;
    using System.Net;
    using System.Net.Http;
    using System.Threading.Tasks;
    using Microsoft.Azure.WebJobs;
    using Microsoft.Azure.WebJobs.Extensions.Http;
    using Microsoft.Azure.WebJobs.Host;
    using System.Security.Cryptography.X509Certificates;
    using System.Collections.Generic;
    using System.Linq;

namespace MyNamespace
    {
    public static class ClientCertificateTest
    {
    [FunctionName("ClientCertificateTestFunctionName")]
    public static async Task<HttpResponseMessage> Run([HttpTrigger(AuthorizationLevel.Function, "post", Route = null)]HttpRequestMessage req, TraceWriter log)
    {
    try
    {
    System.Security.Cryptography.X509Certificates.X509Certificate2 cert = req.GetClientCertificate();

X509Certificate2 headerCert = null;
    System.Net.Http.Headers.HttpRequestHeaders headers = req.Headers;
    if…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. console.log works as well as context.log in node.js

In a function written in node.js, console.log should log to the error log/console just as context.log does.

It would allow using the same debug in code that is been run both in standalone node.js and in function node.js. It is painful to have to alter the calls when moving code between the environments.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Functions Summary/Status on Function App dashboard/home

It would be helpful to have a dashboard on the Function App home page to display summary/status data about all the Functions in the Function App. For example I currently have to go to each Function individually and click Monitor to see Recent Success or Error Count or to the Manage tab to see if a Function is Enabled.

The current "The faster way to functions" getting started content is really only relevant for new users.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Access the management console for Azure Functions in an App Service Environment deployed via ILB

As it stands, Azure Functions and Web Jobs deployed in an intranet-based App Service Environment cannot be managed via the Azure portal unless the user is connected to the internal network or VPN. It appears that the advanced management console code is deployed into the App Service Environment for these services,, as the SCM host name is provisioned on the custom domain. This makes remote management difficult especially for enterprise customers.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Proxies  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Manage Function Proxies using the Azure REST API

Similar to how functions work, it would be useful if we can programmatically manage Proxies within Functions using the Azure REST API.

https://management.azure.com/subscriptions/{subscriptionId}/resourceGroups/{resourceGroupName}/providers/Microsoft.Web/sites/{name}/proxies

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Add ability to register Service Bus plugins

Azure Service Bus .NET Standard client supports plugins registration for incoming and outgoing pipeline customizations. Already existing plugings are:
    - Message ID (to follow message ID conventions or for de-duplication)
    - Attachments (claim check)

Service Bus customers can implement and plug their own plugins to satisfy encryption requierments and other aspects internal to their business. By allowing plugins registration via trigger configuration API, the code normally distributed with the functions would be reduced to a package reference. This will allow Functions authors focus on the logic and not the miscelanious aspects.

GitHub issue: https://github.com/Azure/azure-functions-host/issues/2504

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bindings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. False azure function status on azure portal

There are 2 ways in which an azure function can be created, one from the portal itself and other through SDK for example .NET SDK using which you could create functions and deploy the function to azure from Visual Studio.

Problem Scenario : When we deploy it from Visual Studio, the functions are deployed in a pre-compiled state and so we are not able to ENABLE or DISABLE the function from the portal itslef.

Solution suggested by Azure Support : Have an application setting on the portal which will be set to true/false or 1/0 which will enable/disable the azure…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Enhance Azure Durable Function performance by enabling use of Redis as a backend store

Durable functions are great, however they do run into some performance bottlenecks when working with fan out for really large numbers of tasks, reduce the overhead caused by Azure Storage reads and writes by enabling an option to use distributed in memory storage such as Azure Redis to implement the required backend queues & stores.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Azure Services/PaaS or E2E-scaffolding for Facebook GraphQL/Relay

There is something beyond Azure App-Services and Functions; Facebook GraphQL as a service, end-to-end which should in clude a CQRS "back-end" (REDIS...) and API-Mgmt/Monitoring features. Here are some examples: https://www.graph.cool/features/ and https://scaphold.io/... but we leverage Azure, so we are currently developing with graphql in AppServices...

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bindings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Azure Functions

Feedback and Knowledge Base