Azure Functions

Azure Functions is an event driven, compute-on-demand experience that extends the existing Azure application platform with capabilities to implement code triggered by events occurring in other Azure services, SaaS products, and on-premises systems. With Azure Functions, your applications scale based on demand and you pay only for the resources you consume. Azure Functions provides an intuitive, browser-based user interface allowing you to create scheduled or triggered pieces of code implemented in a variety of programming languages.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. better error handling for EventGrid calls that you want to retry

The Microsoft sample documentation (link below) suggests using a Run method with void return type. This doesn't allow convenient handling of errors that you want to handle by getting EventGrid to retry invoking the Azure Function again after a period. For example, my Azure Function sends a message to a server (Azure Container Instance) which may be down. In this situation I want EventGrid to invoke my Azure Function again after a period when the server might be up. However, with a void return type my only option seems to be that of throwing an exception (InvalidOperation?). Agreed, I could…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add "Deny" option when Request is not Authenticated

I have a function app set up as a private API that requires users to authenticate via Azure AD B2C to be able to make calls. My mobile app does the auth and then provides the Bearer token in the service calls.
    This all works but if someone happens to browse an endpoint in a browser I don't want them to be redirected to the login page as the API is only meant to be requested from within the mobile app.
    I would like an option to just deny access to the API when a request is not authorised.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Specifying a name for a premade function

If no function is present in a Function App, the “getting started” assistant is shown which allows adding a premade function. However, you can’t specify a name for the resulting function there, which is why you’ll end up with insignificant names such as “HTTPTriggerCSharp1” or “HTTPTriggerJS1”. It would be great if the user could optionally specify a function name in this dialog.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Visual Studio Tooling - Javascript Project Template

C# Project Template was recently added for Visual Studio Tooling https://feedback.azure.com/forums/355860-azure-functions/suggestions/13301214-visual-studios-tooling-with-local-execution-debug , however this doesn't handle all languages - F#, Javascript/Typescript, etc.

Hoping we can get support added for better deployment capabilities with other languages as well as source code management. Great to see the Azure Function tooling finally make it to RTM for C#!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Scale # of servers in consumption plan based on Service Bus Queue Size

My service bus will spike at the top of each hour with up to 1000+ messages to get processed immediately. It would be nice for the consumption plan to allow us to scale the # of servers to come online to be based on that queue size. Example: for 1000 messages, I would like 10 servers to come online (1 server per 100 in the queue).

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Search input/output bindings

Want to treat documents of the Azure Search as JSON from the Function Apps.

First about input bindings. See following pseudo function.json.

{
    "bindings": [
    {
    "name": "req",
    "type": "httpTrigger",
    "direction": "in"
    },
    {
    "name": "search_result",
    "type": "search",
    "direction": "in",
    "serviceName": "mybookshelf",
    "indexName": "book",
    "apiKey": "envname-SEARCH_ADMIN_KEY",
    "queryType": "full",
    "searchMode": "all",
    "searchFields": ["id", "title", "author"],
    "search": "title:{title} AND genre:{genre}"
    },
    {
    "name": "res",
    "type": "http",
    "direction": "out"
    }
    ]
    }

When an http request is arrived, contents of $search_result likes as followings.

[
    {
    "id": "e583e025-01f4-4288-8dec-be6723afe607",
    "title": "Dragon Ball vol.1",
    "author": "Akira TORIYAMA"
    },
    {
    "id": "bb0086f9-e924-450c-b615-f51fb730e339",
    "title": "Dragon Ball vol.2", …

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Support etags for Azure Table Storage read/write operations

I use python functions to read/write into Azure tables, unfortunately the etags are hidden. It would be quite useful to be able to access the eTags to ensure consistency of writes.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. function trigger for table store

Add function binding trigger to table store.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. I want to restart at the user's timing. When restarting with Azure maintenance or update, WebApps, Functions, etc.

I want to restart at the user's timing. When restarting with Azure maintenance or update, WebApps, Functions, etc.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Timer Trigger CRON interpreted per WEBSITE_TIME_ZONE for Linux Service Plans

I'd like timerTrigger and WEBSITE_TIME_ZONE app setting to work on Function Apps hosted on Linux Service Plans as described in https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-functions/functions-bindings-timer#ncrontab-time-zones

I've set WEBSITE_TIME_ZONE app setting to "Eastern Standard Time"; however, it continues to interpret CRON expression as UTC, even after restart of Function App. I expect this works fine on Windows based Service Plans; however, this does not seem to be working on Linux based plans.

See attached pics. CRON is "schedule": "0 30 15 * * 1-5", but triggers at 11:30am EST.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Add support for calling unmanaged Win32 DLLs

There are many, many legacy system DLLs out there and many would benefit from a migration to Azure Functions. Perhaps add a DLL Importer and read the exported methods and automatically map to explicit Functions.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Enable hosting functions programmatically in .NET Core

ASP.NET Core Web APIs can be easily hosted programmatically by using TestServer or IWebHost.Run(). It seems though that for functions the only way is to use func CLI via System.Diagnostics.Process (see https://blog.kloud.com.au/2018/11/08/integration-testing-precompiled-v2-azure-functions/).

Please enable hosting functions programmatically.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Allow service bus trigger queue name to come from application environment

The queue name to trigger off of is hardcoded in the function.json file. However, it would be extremely useful if this string could also be interpreted as the name of an environment variable in the application settings.

When using terraform (for example) to construct multiple environments, the queue name is different for each, and is not known until the cloud resources are instantiated. This requires a deployment package per environment that hardcodes the queue name, and requires an extra deployment step after the terraform apply.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. python support for durable function

As far as I can see durable function is supported only for C#. It would be nice to have a python based azure function orchestrator.

Or is there a way to orchestrate python based Azure function using C# durable function or is this a stupid question :P

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Add Event Domain or Event Grid output binding

Add Event Domain or Event Grid output bindings to azure functions

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Add settings to change local logs verbosity/level

When running functions locally, on every call to a function I am bombarded with logs, can we have an options on the cli, or in local.settings.json to change the logs verbosity/level (debug/info/warning/error...) so it will be easier to debug and work with functions?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. PowerShell cmdlets for Functions

Customer is requesting support in PowerShell to Start and Stop an Azure Function app. For more info, please see https://stackoverflow.com/questions/56168831/how-to-stop-start-azure-function-from-powershell.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Azure Functions Tools fail to start when there is a non american character on the user name (%userprofile% directory)

The network administrator just setup Active Directory integration and my user profile directory was created with non american characters. My name has an accent (^ ê).
    My azure function project stopped working and I found out that the only problem was having an accent in the user profile directory.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Add Perl To Base Image

I would like to read metadata with exiftool, but the distributed version that can run on Windows without perl takes ages to start with node's child_process (could be because of Windows Defender?), therefore I have to use Linux. And on Linux, there's no Perl unless I use a custom image, but it's not even supported on a consumption plan. The other FAAS has perl so could we have it here as well please?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. openId connect plugin / guidance

In MVC, we have Microsoft OpenId Connect / Owin to secure the application using Hybrid flow with a Single Page Application on the front end.

The request is to have capabilities to move from MVC SPA (self hosted VM) to Serverless (Azure blob + Azure function as backend) to do Hybrid flow authentication.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Azure Functions

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base