Azure Functions

Azure Functions is an event driven, compute-on-demand experience that extends the existing Azure application platform with capabilities to implement code triggered by events occurring in other Azure services, SaaS products, and on-premises systems. With Azure Functions, your applications scale based on demand and you pay only for the resources you consume. Azure Functions provides an intuitive, browser-based user interface allowing you to create scheduled or triggered pieces of code implemented in a variety of programming languages.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add option to run function app with Package URL with System Assigned Identity

Add support to run the function app using system assigned identity with Package URL where the package exists in storage account. so instead of using SAS, it can use System Assigned identity to run the function from package URL

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. PowerShell cmdlets for Functions

Customer is requesting support in PowerShell to Start and Stop an Azure Function app. For more info, please see https://stackoverflow.com/questions/56168831/how-to-stop-start-azure-function-from-powershell.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Geo-availability integration a la CosmosDB for Consumption Plan

For Functions in a Consumption Plan, it's a bit arduous to get them to be geo-distributed (have to set up deployment to all the various regions you want to support, add APIM/Traffic Manager to handle). It would be super awesome if Functions had a setup like CosmosDB where you deployed them once, then "lit up" the geos you want the code replicated to. Then, not too much different than the request in #214 , an "invisible" Traffic Manager service could be provided on the endpoint for the Function to hit the nearest geo to the end user.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. better error handling for EventGrid calls that you want to retry

The Microsoft sample documentation (link below) suggests using a Run method with void return type. This doesn't allow convenient handling of errors that you want to handle by getting EventGrid to retry invoking the Azure Function again after a period. For example, my Azure Function sends a message to a server (Azure Container Instance) which may be down. In this situation I want EventGrid to invoke my Azure Function again after a period when the server might be up. However, with a void return type my only option seems to be that of throwing an exception (InvalidOperation?). Agreed, I could…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Improve Error Messaging for Function App Deployment (App Settings)

When deploying a function app to Azure Government, provide more specific error messaging when appsettings values are incompatible or otherwise contain errors.

When updating settings, the only error message a user will receive from Set-AzWebApp seems to be the 400 Bad Request, and from the portal, the "(InternalServerError) from host runtime.

This makes debugging deployments very difficult.

The same idea could likely feed back to commercial deployments, too.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Add Elastic Scale Plan (pre-warmed instances) in Gov Cloud

When auto-scaling the number of instances for a Function, API requests are routed to new instances before they are ready (warmed up) causing failures/timeouts for those requests. In regular cloud, this is solved by using the Elastic Scale consumption plan that lets you specify the number of pre-warmed instances (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-functions/functions-premium-plan#pre-warmed-instances). Please bring this same plan to Gov Cloud.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Specify a custom window for platform updates to WebApps, Functions, etc.

I want to be able to request platform upgrades only restart my site within a specific window, say outside of business hours.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

This is great feedback.
    We strive for platform upgrades to happen transparently to you, however, they will restart every worker for your function app while performing a platform upgrade.

We do not currently have the infrastructure to make this publicly available, but keep the votes coming!

Thanks!
    Alex
    Azure Functions Team!

8. Support custom containers in a consumption plan

My use case is that we need to generate licenses on the fly via an external web app. Currently, we are generating licenses ahead of time by using Selenium to navigate the external app. We would like to just So basically, whenever we need a new license, we would like to just spin up a new container, run the Selenium script and then shutdown the container.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. When publishing through Visual Studio, create the storage account on the same region as the function

I deployed my function through Visual Studio, creating a new one on an existing resource group.

I chose to create a new Storage Account as well.

I chose eastus2 as the region for my function. But after the deployment succeeded, I noticed that the region for the storage I created during the functions deployment was set for Central US.

I'd like the created storage to be on the same region of the function. I double checked and there's no way to select a region for the storage you create in deployment time.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. EventHub Trigger filtering based on properties

It would be great to be able to provide a filtering expression in the binding of an eventHubTrigger. Using this I could configure my function to only be invoked for certain events that match the filter. For example, I store a property called "eventType" in the application properties of each event. My function is potentially only interested in events of one or more specific types. Currently I code this logic into the function, which works fine. However, it counts as an unnecessary invocation and increases the cost. Ideally the filtering would take place in the host and not incur a…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Unsure on this one but marking as unplanned. The filtering would also have to happen at the client to preserve ordering. However even if we did the filtering before the execution it’s still consuming compute so I don’t think it makes sense for it to be “free.” Just because the trigger is doing filtering before execution wouldn’t necessarily negate the price aspect. And since filtering often has some custom parsing / decoding / conditions it’s almost better to do it in code.

-
    Jeff

11. Add "Deny" option when Request is not Authenticated

I have a function app set up as a private API that requires users to authenticate via Azure AD B2C to be able to make calls. My mobile app does the auth and then provides the Bearer token in the service calls.
    This all works but if someone happens to browse an endpoint in a browser I don't want them to be redirected to the login page as the API is only meant to be requested from within the mobile app.
    I would like an option to just deny access to the API when a request is not authorised.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Specifying a name for a premade function

If no function is present in a Function App, the “getting started” assistant is shown which allows adding a premade function. However, you can’t specify a name for the resulting function there, which is why you’ll end up with insignificant names such as “HTTPTriggerCSharp1” or “HTTPTriggerJS1”. It would be great if the user could optionally specify a function name in this dialog.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Visual Studio Tooling - Javascript Project Template

C# Project Template was recently added for Visual Studio Tooling https://feedback.azure.com/forums/355860-azure-functions/suggestions/13301214-visual-studios-tooling-with-local-execution-debug , however this doesn't handle all languages - F#, Javascript/Typescript, etc.

Hoping we can get support added for better deployment capabilities with other languages as well as source code management. Great to see the Azure Function tooling finally make it to RTM for C#!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Search input/output bindings

Want to treat documents of the Azure Search as JSON from the Function Apps.

First about input bindings. See following pseudo function.json.

{

"bindings": [

{
    "name": "req",
    "type": "httpTrigger",
    "direction": "in"
    },
    {
    "name": "search_result",
    "type": "search",
    "direction": "in",
    "serviceName": "mybookshelf",
    "indexName": "book",
    "apiKey": "envname-SEARCH_ADMIN_KEY",
    "queryType": "full",
    "searchMode": "all",
    "searchFields": ["id", "title", "author"],
    "search": "title:{title} AND genre:{genre}"
    },
    {
    "name": "res",
    "type": "http",
    "direction": "out"
    }
    ]

}

When an http request is arrived, contents of $search_result likes as followings.

[

{

"id": "e583e025-01f4-4288-8dec-be6723afe607",
    "title": "Dragon Ball vol.1",
    "author": "Akira TORIYAMA"
    },
    {
    "id": "bb0086f9-e924-450c-b615-f51fb730e339",
    "title": "Dragon Ball vol.2",
    2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Support etags for Azure Table Storage read/write operations

I use python functions to read/write into Azure tables, unfortunately the etags are hidden. It would be quite useful to be able to access the eTags to ensure consistency of writes.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. CPU Time/%/Memory should be available in metrics when running on an App Service Plan

When getting alerts on high cpu ( or memory) for an app service plan, it is currently impossible to see what is consuming the cpu if both webapps and functions are running on the same App Service Plan

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. First class support for Deno

Will we get first class support for Deno now that its reached version 1.0 https://deno.land/v1?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Set partitionKey property in Event Hub output binding

In an IoT scenario combining EventHub with StreamAnalytics, it is important that the EventHub is partitionned properly to allow writing a "parallel" query in Stream Analytics.

The current EventHub SDK allows to specify the partition key on a new batch of event before sending to EventHub, but this option is not available when we use an EventHub output binding.

Using the EventHub SDK in an Azure function is not an option as the function has to recreate the connection at each execution, and this is very slow, causing a function timeout in our tests.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Allow Azure Function triggers to be enabled/disabled at runtime

This feature would allow developers to decide when a triggered function (Service Bus, Event Grid, Storage queue, ...) should be disabled or re-enabled.

Consider the following scenario where you develop a function that's being trigged by new messages on a Service Bus Queue. Whenever your function gets triggered you call a downstream API. This downstream API could have throttling limits or might have issues. To get around this you think about implementing the Circuit Breaker pattern. Whenever the circuit opens, you would stop calling the downstream API.

Today the only way to stop processing messages it to completely stop the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. How do we support Open API for Azure Functions 2?

Open Api support for Azure Functions 2 - Directly, without the need for Api Management service.
    API Interface/integration is a core feature of an API. Shouldn't need another product to enable it.

thanks

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Azure Functions

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base