How can we improve Microsoft Azure Functions?

better error handling for EventGrid calls that you want to retry

The Microsoft sample documentation (link below) suggests using a Run method with void return type. This doesn't allow convenient handling of errors that you want to handle by getting EventGrid to retry invoking the Azure Function again after a period. For example, my Azure Function sends a message to a server (Azure Container Instance) which may be down. In this situation I want EventGrid to invoke my Azure Function again after a period when the server might be up. However, with a void return type my only option seems to be that of throwing an exception (InvalidOperation?). Agreed, I could use Run([(HttpTrigger(…)]…). However, what's the point of having [EventGridTrigger] if it's not going to be used?

By the way, I tried using a return type of HttpResponseMessage with Run[EventGridTrigger] and whilst it built, it reported an error at runtime Cannot bind parameter '$return' to type HttpResponseMessage&.

public static void Run([EventGridTrigger]JObject eventGridEvent, TraceWriter log)

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-functions/functions-bindings-event-grid

1 vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Will Stott shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Oliver Tomlinson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I initially thought the same, but came to the conclusion of "why not just throw an exception?"

EventGrid has a simple job and that is to keep trying to deliver the message to the subscriber until it is completed sucessfully.

EventGrid really doesn't care *why* your function failed, I assume it treats any non-200 response as a failure and will invoke retries until it completes successfully or the 24 hour retry period elapses.

My opinion but having to explicitly return a Type that defines the success is unnecessary in this particular binding, as the EventGridTrigger is abstracting you from the complications of returning success or failure state.

Feedback and Knowledge Base