How can we improve Microsoft Azure Functions?

Allow websockets ( SignalR ) feature in azure serverless using Functions

Currently Websockets ( SignalR ) like continuous stream feature is not possible with Azure server less, please add this feature so we can make more use of azure functions.

37 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Muhammad Touseef shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Looks like the community (more specifically Anthony Chu) has already taken a stab at this. Please see the following article (https://anthonychu.ca/post/cosmosdb-real-time-azure-functions-signalr-service/) and GitHub repo (https://github.com/Azure/azure-functions-signalrservice-extension) for details of his implementation.

Your feedback on whether this satisfies your scenarios would be appreciated.

- Nima

6 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Gerhard Liebenberg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the same need as Eric Malamisura. Currently SignalR is used to broadcast data from your code to external clients. But can this be reversed? Can we have SignalR listening to an external server over a websocket, and then broadcast the data to your internal functions?

• Stefan Reichel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can give a positive feedback on the Azure SignalR service used in conjunction with Azure Functions. The infrastructure setup is trivial and thanks to bindings sending notifications to our frontend from our function app is a breeze. Can definitely recommend.

• Eric Malamisura commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Mainly I want all my functions in one location using one implementation. Currently I have some in Azure functions and others in Webjobs to support WebSockets. It's not ideal, especially since I want to share code across them and can't really, sure I can have my webjob call an azure functions and have my webjob do minimum work but seems a bit ridiculous.

• William Wong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This could still be stateless when putting certain restrictions on the API design and exposed by Azure Functions.

• Phil Carbone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are also asking for it in notification hubs, so maybe this can be an output into notification hubs? (And then it gets build in one place)

Feedback and Knowledge Base