How can we improve Microsoft Azure Functions?

Folders for organizing Functions and a TreeView Function List in the Portal

Already I have a Functions App that is growing larger than works well in the existing Portal interface.

I would like to suggest adding support for folders (similar to solution folders in Visual Studio) that allow one to organize functions. And then a TreeView for the Function list in the Portal.

For example I have several processed in my Function App. Each process may have one or more steps that are usually individual Functions. It would be great to put all the related Functions together in a folder.

17 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Andrew Hawes shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. I currently have a solution with 100s of independent loosely-coupled events. I'd like folders for "sales", "leads", "appointments", etc. so I can organise these functions.

Have a list of dozens or hundreds of functions is not helpful.

• Brian Vallelunga commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Here's a use-case for us that is actually blocking our adoption of Functions.

Ideally, I'd like to use Functions with each logical group of functions in its own unique service plan running under a consumption pricing model. Unfortunately, I can't do this because the consumption pricing plan doesn't allow VPN connections. As a result, none of my Functions would be able to connect to our database inside of a virtual network.

Unable to use a consumption plan, I could create a standard service plan for my Functions and connect via the VPN networking service. This would be fine, but then it would require me to put Functions from multiple solutions into the same app service plan. Unfortunately, due to the requirement that everything be in the top-level directory, this would result in all compiled Functions being placed into the same \bin folder in the root, potentially causing many conflicts between DLL versions.

I have actually tried placing them in sub-folders, but the engine doesn't find any of the Functions. Webjobs have each set of compiled resources within their own sub-folders and that allows many of them to be placed into the same app service, which works well for us.

As it stands now, I can't use Functions even though I want to. I'm actively looking for solutions to this problem, ideally one that would allow us to use the dynamic consumption pricing model.

Feedback and Knowledge Base