Azure Functions

Azure Functions is an event driven, compute-on-demand experience that extends the existing Azure application platform with capabilities to implement code triggered by events occurring in other Azure services, SaaS products, and on-premises systems. With Azure Functions, your applications scale based on demand and you pay only for the resources you consume. Azure Functions provides an intuitive, browser-based user interface allowing you to create scheduled or triggered pieces of code implemented in a variety of programming languages.

How can we improve Microsoft Azure Functions?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Golang support for Azure Functions

C# and other environments are already supported; it would be nice if Go / Golang was one of them. I'd love to handle web requests using Golang + Azure Functions.

It could provide the "HTTP Requests" via the stdin, while the "HTTP Response" can be given via the stdout. (or whatever those two are called on Windows ;-) )

161 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

unplanned  ·  17 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Enable custom 3rd party authentication providers

Outside of out of the box providers like facebook and google, provide samples and guidance on how to authenticate with others like LinkedIn.

139 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. ASP.NET Core MVC/Web API support

Enable developers to create serverless applications using the ASP.NET Core Web API framework.

59 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. SQL Azure trigger support

Azure functions are great, but a lot of application logic is driven by data in SQL Azure DBs. It would be great to have a trigger based on a SQL Azure row data.

54 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Enable triggering of Azure functions based on an event in RabbitMQ

Hello, we are having a scenario where we should be able to trigger a function when a message is added to RabbitMQ. This would be really helpful in using Azure functions to integrate with other Message queuing platforms that support AMQP protocol.

48 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Handle Storage Queue/Service Bus messages in batches

I want to be able to handle multiple messages per function call - we are using a third-party web service which works much more efficiently if the messages are passed to it in batches. I know we could use a timer to trigger the function and grab messages from the queue ourselves but if we do that the function won't scale out automatically.

47 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Trigger Azure Function From Table Storage

Allow create, update and delete on a table storage row to trigger an Azure Function.

43 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow websockets ( SignalR ) feature in azure serverless using Functions

Currently Websockets ( SignalR ) like continuous stream feature is not possible with Azure server less, please add this feature so we can make more use of azure functions.

33 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Zip deploy Functions with app level credentials instead of user credentials

Right now you if you want to use zip deploy you need to use user credentials, those can be used to deploy any function anywhere in your tenant. Not really the best way to handle DTAP. Would be nice if you could also the app level credentials which do work for the other deployment options.

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Should support trigger for Azure Files

This would make hybrid integration scenarios for customers with no IT trivial, anybody can drop a file in a share.

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. The dynamic tier should never run out of sockets

If you have too many connections, you can get SocketExceptions. The dynamic tier was meant to stop us from having to think about server instances, but with a connection limit, the dynamic tier is useless and we are back to the standard service plans.

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Support for R

Are there any plans to support R scripts in the future?

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Add support for Kafka Streams from HD Insight

Azure Functions should be able to be triggered from Apache Kafka. The triggered function should be able to be configured for a specific consumer group, with options to explicitly commit the consumer's offset.

Ideally Kafka Streams could be supported, with special support for local storage of KTables.

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Support Service Bus trigger with use of SAS token

In our company we are using Service Bus with a framework that deals out the SAS tokens to queues. These tokens are living for few days only and concern hierarchical queues (eg. queue name could be productA/event-type-B/subtypeC) and only Listen policy.
    This would mean that listening on a different level then root level of namespace would be needed.
    Best if also the whole connection to SB described by this token would be separate object from the Function, so we could modify it (by altering with new SAS token/whole connection string) without modifying the Function code (as API Connections in Logic…

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Global exception handler

Make it possible to have a global exception handler in C# Azure Functions App project - to be able to handle exceptions in one central location.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Folders for organizing Functions and a TreeView Function List in the Portal

Already I have a Functions App that is growing larger than works well in the existing Portal interface.

I would like to suggest adding support for folders (similar to solution folders in Visual Studio) that allow one to organize functions. And then a TreeView for the Function list in the Portal.

For example I have several processed in my Function App. Each process may have one or more steps that are usually individual Functions. It would be great to put all the related Functions together in a folder.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Add Auth0 to list of identity providers and allow custom URL in 'URL Authorization Rules

[This is more an AppService issue but there's not forum for that.]

It's important to me to have the ability to use a custom authentication UI and Auth0 provide this and their own database for user storage. Otherwise I have to roll my own. My users do not have any existing accounts (including email) and so need a simple username / password experience (as horrible this might be for most of us)

A reasonable list of providers is available but adding Auth0 will open the possibilities up. Auth0 is not only excellent but acts as a proxy to a very…

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Better support for SharedAccessSignature for inputs and outputs

I have a Azure Function with an Azure Table as input, and I was trying to use a SharedAccessSignature in the connection string. I wanted to limit access to a specific table, and provide no access to other Azure storage services. However, when I try to run the function, there are errors saying that no Blob endpoint is configured, no Queue endpoint is configured, etc.

I would like to have a connection string with only TableEndpoint and a SharedAccessSignature, and support signatures that limit access to a specific table or even a specific subset of a table (partition key range).…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Support for VB

Have existing Web Jobs in VB, some of which might be candidates for moving to Functions. Would be great to see full support for .Net languages in functions.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Add support for hybrid connections to Consumption Plan

Can we add Hybrid Connections to functions running in Consumption Plans

I'm aware of the idea ...
    https://feedback.azure.com/forums/355860-azure-functions/suggestions/14807298-should-support-hybrid-connections

But this is for App Service Plans, and only mentions Consumption Plan in the response.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4
  • Don't see your idea?

Azure Functions

Feedback and Knowledge Base