Azure Functions

Azure Functions is an event driven, compute-on-demand experience that extends the existing Azure application platform with capabilities to implement code triggered by events occurring in other Azure services, SaaS products, and on-premises systems. With Azure Functions, your applications scale based on demand and you pay only for the resources you consume. Azure Functions provides an intuitive, browser-based user interface allowing you to create scheduled or triggered pieces of code implemented in a variety of programming languages.

How can we improve Microsoft Azure Functions?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add binding to Key Vault

Functions often need password, API keys, and connection strings to connect to other services and retrieve data. It would be great if those secrets could easily be obtained from Key Vault.

372 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

47 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi all,

We’re pleased to announce a public preview of our Key Vault references feature, which you can learn more about here: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/simplifying-security-for-serverless-and-web-apps-with-azure-functions-and-app-service/

There are some limitations to the initial preview, but we’re hoping to address those very soon. We’re looking forward to your feedback!

Thank you,
    Matthew, Azure Functions team

2. Enable dependency injection in C# Functions

It would be useful to have a form of DI in our C# Functions, so we can consistently inject things like our logger class, or other Autofac DI services, into every C# Function we create.

I'd like to create a SDK package which developers can import into their Function and get access to some common functionality via DI, to remove boilerplate redundancy.

Any solution for this kind of thing?

322 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add max calls/per day|hour|minute configuration for throttling

Now- any light ddos attack that Azure will not recognize- will affect me and my account. If I know that my service shouldn't receive more than 10000 calls per day, but I can't setup limits on incoming requests.

"Daily Usage Quota (GB-Sec)"- not bad idea, but it's something internal and synthetic for me. Call/per day- is much more native metrics for users.

70 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Support for Azure Alerts

Currently you can only configure Azure Alerts on the App Plan that is hosting your Azure Function. However, it would be great to do this on a Function level to detect failures and other metrics.

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

update:

We have been working on this, and are a few months out from enabling it.

Alex
    Azure Functions team

Original Update

This is partially supported today. You can click through to the App Service Settings blade and click on the graph that shows up there.

This lets you set up basic alerts on failure rates/etc or GB-sec thorughput.

We’re adding Application Insights integration soon and that will provide even more options for setting up more granular alerts: github.com/Azure/azure-webjobs-sdk-script/i..

-Chris, Functions PM

5. Keep supporting Powershell in Azure Functions!

I went to set up Azure functions for a new client and had to delete and re-create my application so I could downgrade to runtime 1.0 in order to use a powershell function. Even AWS has realized the proliferation of Powershell and now allows it to be used in Lambda functions. I have probably thousands of administrative scripts in my archives that could easily be ported to Azure functions. I'd move to AWS before I'd invest the time to re-write them all.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Support Linux + Python support for Azure functions

Please support python based Azure functions that run in a Linux Docker container.

Linux Docker containers are already supported so we are half of the way there and Python is working/supported on windows preview.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-functions/functions-create-function-linux-custom-image

Currently if you try to create a simple python based Azure function on Linux preview you get the error: HttpTriggerPy1: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

The use case here is being able to run "enterprise" python 2 environments with hard dependencies on Linux. I can verify python runs correctly and can send an example Dockerfile if needed.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Function App support Powershell v5

Function App's PowerShell is currently v4.

But i want to use PowerShell v5 in function app.

PowerShell v5 have so nice features and i use v5 in my local machine.

So i want to run a same script in local to function app.

Please update function app's powershell.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add NodeJS 10.15.X to the list of available runtime versions

Currently the latest LTS version of NodeJS is 10.15, and this is not available in Azure functions runtimes.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Allow customers to select the VM size their consumption plan runs on

It's my understanding functions execute on an A1 size virtual machine, which has 1 core and 2GB memory. The customer has no way of changing this.

Our processing requires a bit more beefy machine as it's CPU and memory intensive. We understand using a dedicated App Service Plan is an option, but we really like paying for only what we consume. Our jobs run infrequently and tend to be on the "longer" end of the run time scale.

I'd love to be able to select the VM size we run on and pay accordingly with a consumption plan.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Azure Functions

Feedback and Knowledge Base