Azure Functions

Azure Functions is an event driven, compute-on-demand experience that extends the existing Azure application platform with capabilities to implement code triggered by events occurring in other Azure services, SaaS products, and on-premises systems. With Azure Functions, your applications scale based on demand and you pay only for the resources you consume. Azure Functions provides an intuitive, browser-based user interface allowing you to create scheduled or triggered pieces of code implemented in a variety of programming languages.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 'indirect' strings

I have created several Azure Functions, and recently saw that it is possible to use 'indirect' strings using the "%setting-value%" format.
    This approach is seriously flawed - I added some such connection strings, but adding them caused the function to stop writing a message to the out queue.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add RPC support for Azure Functions

RPC support for Azure functions to allow compile-time verification of RPC calls. As it is, HTTP trigger endpoints are not verifiable at compile-time.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Make it possible to restrict the used storage account to a virtual network

Make it possible to restrict the used storage account to a virtual network. Some customers, especially in the finance industry, have the requirement to secure and protect any storage account. So it is mandatory for them to also limit access of the storage accounts used for Azure Functions.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Built-in role for Azure functions

There is now built-in role Azure functions. I would like see soem built-in role for Azure Functions. For example,

1. Developer Role

2. Platform Admin role

3. Read-only role

4. Security role.

is there any roadmap for built-in role for Azure Functions.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

I believe the request here is for roles like an equivalent of “Web App Contributor” which adjusts specific permissions different from the standard “Contributor” Role.

It’s a valid request, but currently unplanned. Please keep the votes coming, and it would be great to get some examples of what proposed roles might look like.

Do remember that you can always create custom roles: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/role-based-access-control/custom-roles

5. Can we test azure http trigger with API_KEY locally?

I am creating some http triggers and want to know if we can create API_KEY locally to simulate the actions.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Use token instead of session to call azure function from client app in browser on behalf authorized user

Return an access token instead of the session after the user authenticated in azure functions.
    To allow functions call from any domain.

Here it the description of the case and idea
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/60087293/calling-azure-function-from-client-app-in-browser-on-behalf-authorized-user

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. vnet integration

Function apps VNET/Subnet integration.

When a function app in ASP has been integrated, would be ideal to only show the subnet that was used by the first app. It only makes sense because you are only allowed to integrate any additional function app in the same ASP to the same subnet. it makes no sense to present the user all of the subnets in a vnet.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Dynamic file names for Blob out bindings - Python

I am currently workig with an HTTP trigger with some paramateres. Based on those parameters I do some calculations and save results into a file on blob storage account. Currently I am saving them in static file name defined on binding but I woul dlike to be able to generate dynamically the file name in the az func code.

For example:

{

"type": "blob",

"direction": "out",
    "name": "outputBlob",
    "path": "container/{calculatedFileName}.csv",
    "connection": "AzureWebJobsStorage"
    }

where calculatedFileName is something we define in the code.

Is that something feasible? I am using Python.

Thanks in advanced.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bindings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Functions to be stored not at root level

It would be really nice if we was not forces to have a fold structure where our functions must be stored at root/functionName/index.js. As if the probject contains anything else put the src it gets out of hand.

I am very suprised you cannot provide a path to where functions lie, ie i would love to have src/functions/<functionName>/handler

this allows for all shared code to stay under /src/<shared>

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Show Function Execute Units in GB/s

Customer would like to check their Function Execute Units in Azure portal.
    We do have this Metric but the unit is MB/s. However, our bililng unit is GB/s.
    Because customer needs to convert it by themselves, our customer feels it's not easy and convenience to check it at the first glance in Azure portal.
    Please help to add this feature to enable our customer to check their usage in GB/s in Azure portal.
    Thank you!

SR#119120223001059

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Function Apps hosted on AKS

My Function App is hosted on AKS and is working well. However, it doesn't appear on the Azure Portal.

Is it possible to set this up somehow?
    Perhaps with an ARM template "Microsoft.Web/sites" resource?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Upgrade CosmosDb binding to support new SDK (v3)

New CosmosDb SDK have been released but the Cosmos Db binding still uses the old one.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Allow High Density scaling Azure Function in Container on a single Elastic Plan Instance

I have an Azure Function in a linux container running on the Elastic Service Plan.

Currently I can not scale the number of containers of the same azure function container within the same Elastic Service Plan.

It would be great to have this as I need my Azure Function to run in isolation, but still want to be able to scale to multiple container instances.

I have lots of room to spare in the Elastic Service Plan, but currently the only way to scale, is scaling to multiple elastic plan instances.

In short I would like to be able to…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I’m not sure I understand what you’re requesting.
    Today in the Premium Linux plan your application will run multiple concurrent executions in the same container, then when that container reaches its CPU or memory limits another container will be added automatically.

Can you provide more detail on the bottleneck you’re experiencing?

14. Durable Functions Workflow fixes support

Workflows on Durable Functions is great until you make some bug in it. And when you do (not "if you do") make a bug, it may result in thousands or even millions of workflows in inappropriate state, or waiting for never-happen events, or just hang in some infinite loop - there are a lot of ways things can go wrong.
    And we need some way to recover the system from those mistakes. Cancellation is one option (AFAIK, it still doesn't support cancelling sub-orchestrators and activities, so not very useful anyway), but workflows sometimes may take days or months to get…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Change log level without redeploy for packaged apps

Please allow log level to be changed for packaged apps without redeploy.

Here's my use case and I can't believe I am alone in this... I have an app running at log level Information. There is an issue I want to investigate so I want to increase the log level to Debug or Trace. Because my app is packaged (dotnet if that matters) I can't change the log level without redeploy. That means I have to commit a change to my host.json and rerun my build and deployment pipeline. Adn then back that out afterwards. Because of the need to…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Add binding support for Append Blob storage for Python and JavaScript functions

If it is supported, it is not in the documentation. It is documented for C#.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Under review because we have been evaluating how to surface this in other languages but is something we plan to do. Pending review and hoping to circle back. Part of a larger effort called “rich bindings” to allow easier integration with underlying Azure SDKs as bindings.

-
    Jeff

17. Support for node.js v12, the current Active LTS version

Current Node.js Active LTS is v12, v10 will fall out of Active LTS on 10/30/19 and move to maintenance LTS.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. PowerShell Az module support

Hi,

Will it eventually be possible to manage Azure Functions via PowerShell? Specifically I would like to be able to configure application settings via PowerShell. It seems that only the Azure CLI natively supports this functionality at present https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-functions/functions-how-to-use-azure-function-app-settings

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Ability to schedule Azure function runtime updates from the portal

Requesting the ability to be able to schedule Azure function runtime updates from the portal. At present the runtime updates are pushed by Microsoft at random times which could impact service availability and customer experience. We need the ability to be able to either define a schedule for the function runtime updates or be able to manually perform those updates at a time that is convenient to the customer.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Runtime  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Add support to Circuit breaker pattern

Azure functions should control the way the comunicate with their dependencies and process each request if they have condititions to do that. Same way we define bindings, it could be possible to define circuit breaker strategy to not overload unnecessary process if it is not possible to process requests.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Azure Functions

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base