Azure Functions

Azure Functions is an event driven, compute-on-demand experience that extends the existing Azure application platform with capabilities to implement code triggered by events occurring in other Azure services, SaaS products, and on-premises systems. With Azure Functions, your applications scale based on demand and you pay only for the resources you consume. Azure Functions provides an intuitive, browser-based user interface allowing you to create scheduled or triggered pieces of code implemented in a variety of programming languages.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Enable hosting functions programmatically in .NET Core

ASP.NET Core Web APIs can be easily hosted programmatically by using TestServer or IWebHost.Run(). It seems though that for functions the only way is to use func CLI via System.Diagnostics.Process (see https://blog.kloud.com.au/2018/11/08/integration-testing-precompiled-v2-azure-functions/).

Please enable hosting functions programmatically.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. disabled function

A colleague of mine disabled one timer triggered function on the host.json file, for testing purposes, and then forgot to re-enable it.

I spent over one hour until I realised it.

There should be an indicator in the portal warning if a function is disabled.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow service bus trigger queue name to come from application environment

The queue name to trigger off of is hardcoded in the function.json file. However, it would be extremely useful if this string could also be interpreted as the name of an environment variable in the application settings.

When using terraform (for example) to construct multiple environments, the queue name is different for each, and is not known until the cloud resources are instantiated. This requires a deployment package per environment that hardcodes the queue name, and requires an extra deployment step after the terraform apply.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Use a more unique query param than "code"

I ran into an issue with an Oauth redirect because the Oauth provider (Kloudless) was also using the code query param for the Oauth redirect. Since the function required this query param I was not able to get the code sent by Kloudless to get an access token. Therefore, I had to just make the function anonymous, since there is no way for me to have Kloudless send it in the headers( I have no control over that). The query param Azure uses for authentication should not be such a vanilla query param. It should at least be like ms-code…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bindings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. CosmosDB Output bindings should have an option to prevent overwriting a document that changed while the function was executing.

Currently if you have an Azure function with CosmosDB input and output bindings (with the intent to process and update a document) there is no way to specify that the document should not be overwritten if it was changed (by another entity) between the time the function was invoked and the time it completes and performs the CosmosDB output binding document update operation. That makes the use of input and output bindings together in a single function pretty much worthless for processing and updating a document. The function should return a 409 Conflict error if the etag on the document…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bindings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Question regarding Test framework

Hi guys,

I would like to ask what's reason xUnit Framework was chosen to demonstrate how to write test for Azure Functions.

Would you please share what the consideration behind.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add Event Domain or Event Grid output binding

Add Event Domain or Event Grid output bindings to azure functions

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Function App subnet with NSG and/or routing table integration

It would be great to allow Functions integration with subnet that has defined routing table and / or network security group.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. UDR Support for VNET Integrated Function Apps

Function Apps that are VNET integrated require a dedicated subnet. The Subnet that is allocated does not currently support UDR. Without the UDR Support we cant route this traffic through a fIrewall appliance for on-premise connectivity.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Add settings to change local logs verbosity/level

When running functions locally, on every call to a function I am bombarded with logs, can we have an options on the cli, or in local.settings.json to change the logs verbosity/level (debug/info/warning/error...) so it will be easier to debug and work with functions?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Infinite Recursion Loop does not give error

I accidentally created an infinite recursion loop in my C# dll. This was hit during Azure function execution. However, instead of giving an error, the host would simply die with no error or further logging. While the loop should've been detected by me earlier, the fact that I got no errors lead me down the wrong path for a while and made it much harder to debug.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

12. Azure Functions Tools fail to start when there is a non american character on the user name (%userprofile% directory)

The network administrator just setup Active Directory integration and my user profile directory was created with non american characters. My name has an accent (^ ê).
    My azure function project stopped working and I found out that the only problem was having an accent in the user profile directory.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. add proxy header removal option

Would it possible to not only override/add headers, but also remove header like x-forwarded-for.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add Perl To Base Image

I would like to read metadata with exiftool, but the distributed version that can run on Windows without perl takes ages to start with node's child_process (could be because of Windows Defender?), therefore I have to use Linux. And on Linux, there's no Perl unless I use a custom image, but it's not even supported on a consumption plan. The other FAAS has perl so could we have it here as well please?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. openId connect plugin / guidance

In MVC, we have Microsoft OpenId Connect / Owin to secure the application using Hybrid flow with a Single Page Application on the front end.

The request is to have capabilities to move from MVC SPA (self hosted VM) to Serverless (Azure blob + Azure function as backend) to do Hybrid flow authentication.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Add ability to restrict deployment from dev environments

I recently created a new function app in our team's tenant to handle some custom monitoring. Now that I'm done prototyping it and have it in a workable state, I've created an Azure DevOps build and release to handle publishing the app.

I need to do this, rather than simply use the CD from git branch option, because I'm using Typescript (currently unsupported), and need to install both node_modules and extensions for the app (because the app won't perform those steps itself based on package.json or extensions.csproj)

While the pipeline now works, I can't find a way to lock down…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Add documentation and guidelines to test Java Functions

Currently there are documentation exists on testing java functions. Nice to have a document explaining how to unit test and perform integratioin test on various java functions(bindings)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. certificate

Can Azure Functions support SSL certificate for consumption plan?
    I found on https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-functions/scripts/functions-cli-configure-ssl-certificate that "To bind an SSL certificate, your function app must be created in an App Service plan and not in a consumption plan."

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Offer ability to train a Neural Network Model using Azure Functions with GPU

Offer ability to train a Neural Network Model using Azure Functions with GPU. this will be very useful, especially if you want to train Models using different parameters or hyper-parameter optimization.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Allow customers to select the VM size their consumption plan runs on

It's my understanding functions execute on an A1 size virtual machine, which has 1 core and 2GB memory. The customer has no way of changing this.

Our processing requires a bit more beefy machine as it's CPU and memory intensive. We understand using a dedicated App Service Plan is an option, but we really like paying for only what we consume. Our jobs run infrequently and tend to be on the "longer" end of the run time scale.

I'd love to be able to select the VM size we run on and pay accordingly with a consumption plan.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Azure Functions

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base