Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more here.

Azure Functions

Azure Functions is an event driven, compute-on-demand experience that extends the existing Azure application platform with capabilities to implement code triggered by events occurring in other Azure services, SaaS products, and on-premises systems. With Azure Functions, your applications scale based on demand and you pay only for the resources you consume. Azure Functions provides an intuitive, browser-based user interface allowing you to create scheduled or triggered pieces of code implemented in a variety of programming languages.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Please eliminate sandbox restrictions while running in Docker

Right now the sandbox applies to azure function apps even when they're running in docker. Docker is the sandbox in that case. Further, things like System.Drawing.Common aren't effected on Linux the same as they are on Windows so there should be no issue requiring the sandbox to interfere.

So Azure Functions should disable the sand-boxing when running in docker entirely.

Failing that, it should disable the System.Drawing.Common limitations if running on Linux.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

unplanned  ·  1 comment  ·  Runtime  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. dynamic "newBatchThreshold" on queue triggered functions.

When i host a queue triggered azure function on an app service, i would like the ability to programatically alter "newBatchThreshold" for a queue triggered function at runtime.
    So that when extraordinary conditions occur, i can decrease the number of messages causing stress on the system.

I have many messages passing through a queue triggered function. Most of the time they are easy to process, so i have "newBatchThreshold" set to 64.

This normally causes 20-30% database load processing these messages.

We recently processed a batch of data where the messages all caused a substantially more complex than normal workflow…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bindings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Specify a custom window for platform updates to WebApps, Functions, etc.

I want to be able to request platform upgrades only restart my site within a specific window, say outside of business hours.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is great feedback.
    We strive for platform upgrades to happen transparently to you, however, they will restart every worker for your function app while performing a platform upgrade.

We do not currently have the infrastructure to make this publicly available, but keep the votes coming!

Thanks!
    Alex
    Azure Functions Team!

4. CosmosDB Output bindings should have an option to prevent overwriting a document that changed while the function was executing.

Currently if you have an Azure function with CosmosDB input and output bindings (with the intent to process and update a document) there is no way to specify that the document should not be overwritten if it was changed (by another entity) between the time the function was invoked and the time it completes and performs the CosmosDB output binding document update operation. That makes the use of input and output bindings together in a single function pretty much worthless for processing and updating a document. The function should return a 409 Conflict error if the etag on the document…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Bindings  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add Event Domain or Event Grid output binding

Add Event Domain or Event Grid output bindings to azure functions

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Support custom containers in a consumption plan

My use case is that we need to generate licenses on the fly via an external web app. Currently, we are generating licenses ahead of time by using Selenium to navigate the external app. We would like to just So basically, whenever we need a new license, we would like to just spin up a new container, run the Selenium script and then shutdown the container.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. When publishing through Visual Studio, create the storage account on the same region as the function

I deployed my function through Visual Studio, creating a new one on an existing resource group.

I chose to create a new Storage Account as well.

I chose eastus2 as the region for my function. But after the deployment succeeded, I noticed that the region for the storage I created during the functions deployment was set for Central US.

I'd like the created storage to be on the same region of the function. I double checked and there's no way to select a region for the storage you create in deployment time.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Share RUs with a Serverless Function

A popular pattern is to build a REST API using serverless Function with Http trigger, backed by Cosmos DB. Serverless is a very popular paradigm, and Cosmos is the best cloud database, so it's no wonder that customers are interested in this combination. However, the problem in this scenario is the cold start of the serverless Function, which negates the low-latency benefits of CosmosDB provisioning.

It would be great to allow sharing the RUs provisioned for Cosmos DB collection with serverless functions running against the same collection. Let the Function execution consume some extra RUs, depending on the complexity of…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. At-a-glance failure monitoring in UI

Would be great to see the current health of all functions in a single view. Black for successful, Orange for functions with warnings and Red for functions with errors on last execution.

Also, last x runs in a color-coded graph (same as last x builds in VSTS) would be brilliant so we can quickly visualise the health of our function apps.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. EventHub Trigger filtering based on properties

It would be great to be able to provide a filtering expression in the binding of an eventHubTrigger. Using this I could configure my function to only be invoked for certain events that match the filter. For example, I store a property called "eventType" in the application properties of each event. My function is potentially only interested in events of one or more specific types. Currently I code this logic into the function, which works fine. However, it counts as an unnecessary invocation and increases the cost. Ideally the filtering would take place in the host and not incur a…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Unsure on this one but marking as unplanned. The filtering would also have to happen at the client to preserve ordering. However even if we did the filtering before the execution it’s still consuming compute so I don’t think it makes sense for it to be “free.” Just because the trigger is doing filtering before execution wouldn’t necessarily negate the price aspect. And since filtering often has some custom parsing / decoding / conditions it’s almost better to do it in code.

-
    Jeff

11. Add "Deny" option when Request is not Authenticated

I have a function app set up as a private API that requires users to authenticate via Azure AD B2C to be able to make calls. My mobile app does the auth and then provides the Bearer token in the service calls.
    This all works but if someone happens to browse an endpoint in a browser I don't want them to be redirected to the login page as the API is only meant to be requested from within the mobile app.
    I would like an option to just deny access to the API when a request is not authorised.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Specifying a name for a premade function

If no function is present in a Function App, the “getting started” assistant is shown which allows adding a premade function. However, you can’t specify a name for the resulting function there, which is why you’ll end up with insignificant names such as “HTTPTriggerCSharp1” or “HTTPTriggerJS1”. It would be great if the user could optionally specify a function name in this dialog.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Visual Studio Tooling - Javascript Project Template

C# Project Template was recently added for Visual Studio Tooling https://feedback.azure.com/forums/355860-azure-functions/suggestions/13301214-visual-studios-tooling-with-local-execution-debug , however this doesn't handle all languages - F#, Javascript/Typescript, etc.

Hoping we can get support added for better deployment capabilities with other languages as well as source code management. Great to see the Azure Function tooling finally make it to RTM for C#!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Search input/output bindings

Want to treat documents of the Azure Search as JSON from the Function Apps.

First about input bindings. See following pseudo function.json.

{

"bindings": [

{
    "name": "req",
    "type": "httpTrigger",
    "direction": "in"
    },
    {
    "name": "search_result",
    "type": "search",
    "direction": "in",
    "serviceName": "mybookshelf",
    "indexName": "book",
    "apiKey": "envname-SEARCH_ADMIN_KEY",
    "queryType": "full",
    "searchMode": "all",
    "searchFields": ["id", "title", "author"],
    "search": "title:{title} AND genre:{genre}"
    },
    {
    "name": "res",
    "type": "http",
    "direction": "out"
    }
    ]

}

When an http request is arrived, contents of $search_result likes as followings.

[

{

"id": "e583e025-01f4-4288-8dec-be6723afe607",
    "title": "Dragon Ball vol.1",
    "author": "Akira TORIYAMA"
    },
    {
    "id": "bb0086f9-e924-450c-b615-f51fb730e339",
    "title": "Dragon Ball vol.2",
    2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Support etags for Azure Table Storage read/write operations

I use python functions to read/write into Azure tables, unfortunately the etags are hidden. It would be quite useful to be able to access the eTags to ensure consistency of writes.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Add logging and alerting for unexpected application restarts

If the app experiences a fatal error and crashes, Azure automatically restarts the app. However, there is no easy way to see in logs that his happened, nor is there a way to be alerted. When this happened in our app, the only record of the error was in the "eventlog.xml" in Kudu. We would like to see these events in App Insights such that we can build alerts around them and more easily discover them.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Azure Functions instable with Python 3.9

When using Python 3.9 as coding platform for an Azure Function App, I'm getting very often 404 Not Found errors when calling the functions. MS Support team suggested to downgrade to Python 3.8, which seems to make the FA a lot more stable. Would be good to investigate why Python 3.9 on FA is not stable.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Unable to disable function because it has "-" in its name

In my function app I'm trying to disable a function adding the App Settings in Configuration like this: "AzureWebJobs.<FUNCTION_NAME>.Disabled" my function name is "generate-masive-load" but setting this property gives me an error that says: "App setting names can only contain letters numbers ..." the name of my function is valid so I would like to be able to disable my function passing the name including the "-" character, specially because my function is contenerized and I can't disable it from the panel.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. EventHub host.json settings per trigger

Be able to set host.json settings separately for each event hub trigger in a function so they can run with different maxBatchSizes and prefetchCounts

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Azure Functions

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base