Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more here.

Azure Functions

Azure Functions is an event driven, compute-on-demand experience that extends the existing Azure application platform with capabilities to implement code triggered by events occurring in other Azure services, SaaS products, and on-premises systems. With Azure Functions, your applications scale based on demand and you pay only for the resources you consume. Azure Functions provides an intuitive, browser-based user interface allowing you to create scheduled or triggered pieces of code implemented in a variety of programming languages.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. display metrics for app service consumption plans

It would be useful to view metrics for Consumption App Services Hosting Plan items. This would allow us to make a business case for moving to an App Service Hosting Plan

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We now have the ability to track platform metrics in the “Monitor” tab of Azure, as well as more detailed metrics and performance data available through Azure Monitor. Look at the live metrics stream to see realtime CPU/Memory usage and instance counts.

If there are particular metrics you would like to see, please feel free to open more uservoice items.

Thanks!
    Alex

2. Support API Mgmt features also for Azure Functions

A logical "merge" of API Mgmt features and Azure Function Apps seems a logical evolution of API Mgtm. It would be great to see: Developer Portal, Subscriptions, APIs + Products, API Policies and Expressions, Versioning and Revisions, Developer Authentication via AAD, WSDL, Caching, etc. also available integrated into Azure Functions which support...User Authentication, Hybrid connections, Git Deployment, Deployment Slots, etc.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Combining API mgmt features with Azure Functions makes a lot of sense, and therefore we have the following options available:
    - Azure Functions Proxies (Preview): distributed API routing and composition running in Consumption mode (serverless): supports auth, local debugging, CI/CD, and other function apps consumption functionality
    - Azure Functions Proxies running on Dedicated mode (App Service plan): supports hybrid connections, point-to-site VNET connectivity and other App Service functionality, plus functionalities above
    - API Management with Azure Functions: APIM supports adding azure functions as a backend API with all the rich APIM features.

thanks for the feedback!

3. Bug: Route parameter binding for values containing encoded shashes

I've created an Azure C# HTTP triggered function with a route url: subscriptions/{token}/t. It works fine for urls such as subscriptions/blah/t but it fails with a 404 for parameters that contain encoded slashes: subscriptions/blah%2fblah/t. Any way around this ?

Before we get into debates, {token} is a URL encoded Base64 string which will naturally contain slashes.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Can i run my azure function in my Azure App Service Environment?

I am trying to find a document that outlines how to run Azure Functions inside my Azure Application Environment.

Is there any clear documentation for this floating around?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Limit max parallel functions with EventHub binding

When binding a Function to EventHub it will spawn as much new functions as needed. However, due to a maximum number of outbound connections in the Consumption plan, and also RU limits in CosmosDB, it is sometimes not possible to have 1000 new functions spawn at the same time. The HTTP binding already supports a limiting of max parallel functions, I would love this for the EventHub binding as well.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is already done in the sense that we’ll never have more instances of your Functions then you do partitions in your event hub, because you can only have 1 reader of a partition and assure ordering/at least once/etc.. So if you have 4 partitions, you’ll have 4 Function App instances running (max, may be less based on throughput). If you want only 1 Function to run at a given time per partition, use an array datatype (aka String[], MyPOCO[]), this will just give you the whole batch at once, not run a function in parallel for each item in the batch (which gives you fine grained control over the CosmosDB SDK access or batch uploads if you’re using our binding).

-Chris

6. API for Azure Functions

Just like every other Azure Service, there should be CRUD APIs in the Azure SDK. You should be able to list your Azure functions at a minimum.

We are constantly trying to push you guys to think about production workloads, not dinky little "hello world" apps that you can get started in 30 seconds. Getting started only happens once, production deployments last for years, focus there PLEASE. So, for example, it is ridiculous that Functions allowed you to edit code in a browser with no source control. Imagine Bank of America deploying their banking code that way? "Hey Bill, please…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Feature  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Good feedback, but we think that what you’re asking for is already possible today:

- Azure Functions automatically disables editing if source control is enabled. This protects the site.
    - As a best practice, we recommend that you use Role-Based Access Control to restrict access to resources. For instance, developers should not generally have regular access to production environments.
    - You can enable alerting using the built-in Application Insights integration. That will enable you to verify that a new deployment has not caused problems.
    - You can use deployment slots to safely deploy changes to production. You should then run a full set of tests on your slot before swapping to production.

Azure Functions supports the same CI/CD features as App Service, which is used by many enterprise customers for production workloads. To learn more, see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/app-service-web/app-service-continuous-deployment

7. Service Bus Queue/Topic Bindings

It seems we can setup input bindings to a storage queue message but not service bus. Can we add service bus as well?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Please change either Microsoft Azure Functions Creation Link ( or ) Link Explaining Azure Functions.

Dear Microsoft Friends,

As mentioned in your website (
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-functions/functions-create-first-azure-function ) thru link ( https://functions.azure.com/signin ) functions can't be created.

So request you change the either Azure functions portal link or Link Explaining Azure Functions, which ever may be easier to you.

For more info refer attachment.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. First-class connection string picker for Event Hubs

Now to add the connection to event hub from my own subscription- I would open one more browser windows to copy-paste connection string... make this experience simpler... I would like select event hub from some dropdown

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Storages in different regions

Now Azure Functions only supports for storages in the same region. In my scenario I have to communicate with multiple storages in different regions.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. CLI console should display if a function is disabled when running locally

The console output that displays logging from functions when running locally should show when a function is disabled via the function.json setting.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Pass HTTP Method as a variable to be used in the backend URL

In case we have several functions or external resources to handle get, post, put, delete, etc for a single entity. It would be good to be able to capture the HTTP method as a variable and use it in the backend URL, for example:

https://xxxxx/{HTTPMETHOD}ToDo

with this, we can have a single proxy configuration to handle:

https://xxxxx/GetToDo
    https://xxxxx/PostToDo
    https://xxxxx/DeleteToDo

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Proxies  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Pictorial overview of function calls

It would be nice to have a pictorial overview of what function are been called on the output bindings, see attachment

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Make billing model for Functions simpler

Make the billing model simpler.
    Now we have 2 options: dedicated and "dynamic" - it's already hard....
    In another hand for consumption plan- we have some free piece... it's make any kind of cost approximation too complex...

Maybe better will be- if you will create free consumption plan with throttling per day and "standard" that will be you current consumption plan, but without any kind of free staff.

If I can't assume- how much I will consume- I will be very careful before will choose this service

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Marking this completed because there is a good answer for what you want, but your title itself is a bit generic to give a specific action item on “simpler”. I interpret it as maybe better “free” plan.

If you create a Function App and set the GB*sec cap, you can avoid going over the Free quota that dynamic has or some arbitrary quota you have based on cost you’re willing to spend. You can also use Free Tier on App Service Plans.

Feel free to open a new issue if you think we can make that simpler in a specific way?

15. entryPoint is deleted when changing bindings through Portal

If you rename your Run() function and use the entryPoint config in the function.json to point to the renamed function everything works fine.

But if you then edit one of your bindings through the Portal (for example changing the from address on the SendGrid output binding) the entryPoint disappears from the function.json.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. The PK and RK of the log table need to be redesigned!!!!

Seems the function wire log to a table, but the PK and RK of the table does not help on query at all!!!. It also makes the Monitor function extremely slow. It need to be redesigned as most other Azure apps did, put function name as PK, and the time tick as RK.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Readable compilation error messages with CI

In the current version (0.8), if you are using continuous integration and there is a problem compiling, you have to turn off CI to get a readable error message.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. The Clear Log is broken in the new version!!!

Seems new bug in the new version. click "Clear" the log, the log window cleared out but nothing come back then. I need refresh the browser to get the log window working again. Happens in both IE and Chrome.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Is there any alternate way for creating Azure Functions other than using Azure Portal?

Hi,
    I have limited access to azure portal. Can I find alternate way to create Azure Function?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. 'Compilation failed' should provide more details

I created an Azure function and when try to run it says compilation failed but doesn't tell what is the issue because of which compilation failed. It would be better to provide more details so the issues can be fixed.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Azure Functions

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base